1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Optics

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ThreeJ, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ThreeJ

ThreeJ Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hello all you potential M.D's I was wondring if one of you could clear this up for me. In the exam krackers book there is a question on optics involving the thin lens equation (1/f=1/di + 1/do). well the question gives the focal distance of 1cm and the object distance of 4cm and ask to solve for the images distance. The way I worked it out is I brought the 1/do (1/4cm) to the side the 1/f (1/1cm) was and then got a common denominator and subtracted them. This is what I did ion brackets below>

[1/1cm=1/4cm + 1/di] [1/1cm-1/4cm= 1/di] [4/4cm-1/4cm= 1/di]

[3/4cm= 1/di]. this is the answer I got yet the answer at the back of the book says it is 4/3 can anyone explain this as the book does not clearly explain it for me. :eek:

thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OCPreMed

OCPreMed Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    are you saying the answer says 4/3cm= 1/di or 4/3cm= di???

4. ThreeJ

ThreeJ Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Yeah it ask for di and I know my mistake now. Because I have 1/di and they ask for di I take the inverse of 1/di which converts 3/4 to 4/3 or 1.33. I just was not thinking hard enough