optics..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yingao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
which of the following is not true concerning ray diagrams?

a. all horizontal ligth rays reflect through the focacl point of any lens or mirror
b. light rays striking the center of a thin lens move straight through the lens
c. light rays coming through the focal point and striking a mirror are reflected horizontally
d. light rays coming though the focal point and striking a convex lens are refracted through the second focal point..

ans:D,can someone explain why D is wrong. Thx!!

Members don't see this ad.

which of the following is not true concerning ray diagrams?

a. all horizontal ligth rays reflect through the focacl point of any lens or mirror
b. light rays striking the center of a thin lens move straight through the lens
c. light rays coming through the focal point and striking a mirror are reflected horizontally
d. light rays coming though the focal point and striking a convex lens are refracted through the second focal point..

ans:D,can someone explain why D is wrong. Thx!!

A, B, and C are all true statements. D is false because a light ray coming through the focal point of a lens passes directly through horizontally without being refracted. In fact, if the light ray refracted, it wouldn't pass through the second focal point. Conceptually, the reason why the light ray isn't refracted even though it's passing through a different medium is because the angle of incidence (with respect to normal line) is zero. Therefore the angle of refraction is also zero. Here's a crappy image I drew that might help:

2jd2d76.png

Last edited:
A, B, and C are all true statements. D is false because a light ray coming through the focal point of a lens passes directly through horizontally without being refracted. In fact, if the light ray refracted, it wouldn't pass through the second focal point. Conceptually, the reason why the light ray isn't refracted even though it's passing through a different medium is because the angle of incidence (with respect to normal line) is zero. Therefore the angle of refraction is also zero. Here's a crappy image I drew that might help:

2jd2d76.png
Thank you so much.. I really appreciated your drawing!!!