Optimal Gpa? Help a fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Smart Guy

Work hard and play harder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently finished my freshman year with a 3.95 GPA. I'm not one of those people who asks is this good enough. However, my major is biochemistry and my schedule will get a lot harder. When I apply I would like to be competetitive for the top 10-20 schools. My question is will a 3.8 GPA suffice? I know I'll be able to keep my GPA around that. Basically I'm asking whether or not it's worth killing myself to keep a 3.9 GPA or to enjoy college and still maintain a 3.75-3.8. Will the lower GPA still give me a fair shot assuming everything else is in order. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The Smart Guy said:
Hi, I recently finished my freshman year with a 3.95 GPA. I'm not one of those people who asks is this good enough. However, my major is biochemistry and my schedule will get a lot harder. When I apply I would like to be competetitive for the top 10-20 schools. My question is will a 3.8 GPA suffice? I know I'll be able to keep my GPA around that. Basically I'm asking whether or not it's worth killing myself to keep a 3.9 GPA or to enjoy college and still maintain a 3.75-3.8. Will the lower GPA still give me a fair shot assuming everything else is in order. Thanks in advance.

With the name "smart guy" you should already know the answer.

hopefulneuro said:
With the name "smart guy" you should already know the answer.

My name alludes to the tv show. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm not conceited. I thought I asked a legitimate question, I guess not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry. Really. Get some other life experience in.

On that note, boy do I wish I'd had some more fun in college sometimes.

The Smart Guy said:
...I'm not one of those people who asks is this good enough...

Looks like you just did........seriously....you are a freshman with a damn good GPA. ENJOY college!! You are going to have more fun in the next 2-3 years than you will have in the rest of your life - at least I did.

The Smart Guy said:
My name alludes to the tv show. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm not conceited. I thought I asked a legitimate question, I guess not.

lol...no harm intended. your question was legitimate. yes, you'll be fine with a 3.8. i'd seriously recommend developing a strange skill right away. maybe become the world yo-yo champ or something equally as weird. i wish i had started something like that from freshman year. another thing, stick with your activities. i leave them all the time because problems arise or they get boring. just endure it and rise to the top. those things will get you into med school with the base 3.75+. and don't listen to what most people say about the mcat. it isn't any harder than the sat and getting a 30+ is virtually guaranteed with critical thinking skills and 35+ with knowledge added in. also, do not date anyone. this was another problem i had. women take up way too much time, and while they can be wonderful, your future is more important. good luck.

The Smart Guy said:
I'm not one of those people who asks is this good enough.

... My question is will a 3.8 GPA suffice?

Haha, thats funny, you contradicted yourself just there. Had to point that out.

Seriously though man, you are talking an overachiever. The averages for the top ten schools are about 3.8. This should be obvious to you if you look around. a 3.8 is spectacular. I guarantee you that a Top school will not turn you down because you had a 3.8 vs a 3.9, but rather they will turn you down because you lack leadership experience, ECs, a great essay, etc.

I say this: work hard, play hard. It is possible to keep a 3.9 and still enjoy college, by all means try to do it. But if you do slip to a 3.8, do NOT worry. You will still have a shot at every top school in the country assuming your MCAT scores match up.

Thanks a bunch, yeah I did contradict myself. I will study but won't be psycho when it comes to grades. Thanks for the great advice. Yeah, I don't have any activities so I'll have work on that. You guys play Ultimate Frisbee? It's a favorite of mine. You're right, these next 3 years should and hopefully will be the some of the best years in my life.

The Smart Guy said:
Thanks a bunch, yeah I did contradict myself. I will study but won't be psycho when it comes to grades. Thanks for the great advice. Yeah, I don't have any activities so I'll have work on that. You guys play Ultimate Frisbee? It's a favorite of mine. You're right, these next 3 years should and hopefully will be the some of the best years in my life.

Ha, ultimate frisbee is the best! Although our last game was in the dark w/ a glow-in-dark frisbee and it's all great until u realize that you can only see the frisbee and not the person slamming into u at 15 mph. That's where the sense of sound/and ability to maneveur into fetal position within .01 seconds comes in handy. Ah, good times *laughs, but then groans at the tender ribcage*