Optimal Time Per PS, BS, and VR Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS: ???

BS: ???

VR: I've heard that you should definitely shoot for at 8 mins/passage, and optimally practice doing each passage in 6.5 mins.

Members don't see this ad.

The Kaplan strategy for PS/BS is to do the discrete questions first. I enjoy this strategy.

Doing this, I usually take between 7-12 minutes to do all 13 discrete questions (~maybe 9 min average), then have ~61 minutes for the remaining 7 passages, which is almost 8 min/45sec per passage.

Some passages I can do in 3-5 minutes. Some are tricky and take 12 minutes or longer to feel comfortable with. On PS, I will normally end with 5-15 minutes left to review answers. On both MCATs I took I had ~ 5 minutes left to review marked question. On bio, I normally end with 10-20 minutes left. First MCAT Took almost the whole time, thought it was difficult, made an 11. Yesterday (8/15) had 13 minutes left. Thought the questions were tricky but rocked em. Think made a 13-15.

I strongly disagree with pacing yourself on BS/PS sections. Do many practice tests and find a good pace. You should be able to know if you have time to spend on a few difficult passages, and should be comfortable breezing through a few other passages. Of course 8min/average is true, because it is an average. It doesnt work out this way, though, because some subjects will be easier for you and some will be harder.

VR timing is very personal. Do what works for you. Practicing at 7:30/min per passage is good. My "goal" timing is to be at 43min after 2 passages, then 8 min 20sec each for the next 3, and have 18 min for the last 2.

Of course, some VR passages will be 4Q or 5Q, others 7Q. If you get 5/5/6/7/7/5/5, which is possible because the distribution seems random, the pacing strategy doesn't work so well.

Just be able to adapt and have a good feeling for your own pace through practice.

As fast as you can. Don't worry about timing each passage, because some will be harder than others and you'll start to freak when you go over, or you'll spend too much time worrying about how many minutes you have and not enough time solving problems.