Options between intern year and start of residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am grateful to have matched for ophthalmology residency this cycle (didn't match last cycle). But last year when I didn't match, I decided to do an intern-year (I am now currently in intern-year).

This means that I will have a gap year between my intern year and ophtho residency start date (ophtho always matches 18 months in advance).

I have no idea what to do during this time. I will certainly be taking some time off to relax and go on a vacation. But I wanted to do something productive and perhaps something where I could make money and start paying off my loans.

- Can I work after intern-year and make some money?
- Additional degree? But probably can't apply to any MBA or other masters program given it's too late now to apply.
- Research. But that may not be a paid thing.

Any other thoughts or options?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a medical license in a state, theoretically you could moonlight; MBA or any degree is tough to start at this point and complete prior to your next residency. Research is an option, but doing anything meaningful in 18 months is really difficult.

Hi guys,

I am grateful to have matched for ophthalmology residency this cycle (didn't match last cycle). But last year when I didn't match, I decided to do an intern-year (I am now currently in intern-year).

This means that I will have a gap year between my intern year and ophtho residency start date (ophtho always matches 18 months in advance).

I have no idea what to do during this time. I will certainly be taking some time off to relax and go on a vacation. But I wanted to do something productive and perhaps something where I could make money and start paying off my loans.

- Can I work after intern-year and make some money?
- Additional degree? But probably can't apply to any MBA or other masters program given it's too late now to apply.
- Research. But that may not be a paid thing.

Any other thoughts or options?

Thanks

If you can get a permanent license, you could do work with some of the disability or insurance physicals. They don't really require diagnosis and are only data collecting.

Reactions: 1 users
Cant u get a permanent license in Missouri with 1 year of residency plus step 3?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
You can get a permanent license in a lot of states with only 1y of training...if you're an AMG (which the OP didn't mention).

Just because you can get a license though, doesn't mean you can get a job (it also doesn't mean you can't get a job).

Reactions: 1 users
I went through this last year. I ended up teaching anatomy part time at a local community college and published a case review series with some guys I did research with in medical school. You will not find clinical work. Just forget about it. I wasted months trying to figure out a way to work as a doctor. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is start studying ophthalmology and find a physician you can shadow in your spare time. It was a frustrating year, but it gave me some extra time to do somethings I forgot I enjoyed doing during medical school.

I would go back and work as a waiter at Red Lobster, where I had been during undergrad and the summer between 1st and 2nd year of med school. Mad money. In cash...