Sep 21, 2015
Hi,

I did my Bachelors in Pharmacy in India (4 yrs.) and will be coming to the U.S. in a few weeks on green card.

I'm wondering what are my options as to becoming a licensed Pharmacist in either the state of Illinois or Texas?

Also besides becoming a licensed Pharmacist are there any other fields related to Pharmacy which are in high demand that I can pursue after doing a Masters or Ph.D in the U.S. (maybe like something with a Pharmaceutical firm or health insurance company)?

Thanks!

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
You can't become a licensed pharmacist with that degree. You will have to start over and get an American PharmD either by traditional or non-traditional methods. Finding jobs with an international degree will be harder.

nLua

5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2013
CA
Status
Pharmacist
You can't become a licensed pharmacist with that degree. You will have to start over and get an American PharmD either by traditional or non-traditional methods. Finding jobs with an international degree will be harder.
that is just wrong information.

Hi,

I did my Bachelors in Pharmacy in India (4 yrs.) and will be coming to the U.S. in a few weeks on green card.

I'm wondering what are my options as to becoming a licensed Pharmacist in either the state of Illinois or Texas?

Also besides becoming a licensed Pharmacist are there any other fields related to Pharmacy which are in high demand that I can pursue after doing a Masters or Ph.D in the U.S. (maybe like something with a Pharmaceutical firm or health insurance company)?

Thanks!
please lookup "FPGEE". find whatever information regarding requirements/criteria of NABP. If you pass that, complete 1500 hours of internship. check NABP again regarding NAPLEX then check your preferred state's board of pharmacy for their requirements.

nLua

5+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2013
CA
Status
Pharmacist
I understand that a four year degree falls short of the five year requirement. With the proper research and looking into he may find a program that would enable him to finish the required 5th year and make him eligible for the exam - without having as you say "start over". Sigh... Oh yeah I'm a foreign graduate myself in California.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist
I said get a PharmD by traditional or non-traditional methods. There are some schools which have accelerated PharmD programs for international grads. I believe Western and Nova have a program. I believe those programs are about 2 years in length. Some accelerated programs are for domestic grads only though.