Options For Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSpaniard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of us prior service members that are considering going back in as Medical Officers. But most if not all enlisted are non-traditional students.

I am considering studying outside of the US, probably Australia (Family members and originally from there)

Now if I choose to study abroad, what are some things I need to make sure are "musts"

1. Accepted in all 50 states.

2. Can the military help me with residency? I would like to do service for help through residency.

3. I plan on staying with the Navy, would they accept my MBBS...it would become an MD in 5 years...

4. As long as my degree is accepted in all 50 states the Navy will not frown on it because it is out of the US? (I can still be commissioned right?)

I think that is it, but if you guys have more info you think I should research please include your input.

-TheSpaniard HM1(FMF)

ps. yes I know I should shoot for american schools so please don't tell me about that....who wouldn't want to do school in another country? Hell millions like to come here for school! Thanks again guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of us prior service members that are considering going back in as Medical Officers. But most if not all enlisted are non-traditional students.

I am considering studying outside of the US, probably Australia (Family members and originally from there)

Now if I choose to study abroad, what are some things I need to make sure are "musts"

1. Accepted in all 50 states.

2. Can the military help me with residency? I would like to do service for help through residency.

3. I plan on staying with the Navy, would they accept my MBBS...it would become an MD in 5 years...

4. As long as my degree is accepted in all 50 states the Navy will not frown on it because it is out of the US? (I can still be commissioned right?)

I think that is it, but if you guys have more info you think I should research please include your input.

-TheSpaniard HM1(FMF)

ps. yes I know I should shoot for american schools so please don't tell me about that....who wouldn't want to do school in another country? Hell millions like to come here for school! Thanks again guys!

Your post is a little tough to understand, but I'll take a shot.

1. The only "foreign" degree that does not require the FMG process are Canadian MD's. Otherwise, you have to take the exams and redo any postgraduate training. I think there are other hoops but I don't really know, peruse that part of SDN for better answers.

2. By "do service" do you mean a military residency? The answer used to be no for FMG's but that might be changing as we get increasingly desperate.

3. Its not up to the Navy to accept your degree or not. You have to qualify for a state medical license.

4. I know a couple FMGs on AD but it is not common. Not sure what the exact rules are.

Bottom line, if you really want to come back on AD, I would strongly recommend a US MD or DO school over a foreign degree. You are setting yourself up for a lot of pain any other way.

1. Accepted in all 50 states. You will need to pass the USMLE and become ACGME acreditted.

2. Can the military help me with residency? I would like to do service for help through residency.As a rule, no. This year the Navy has considered FMGs for internship, but with recruiting improving, I suspect this will be short lived. Who knows what circumstances will be like when you graduate.

3. I plan on staying with the Navy, would they accept my MBBS...it would become an MD in 5 years...If you are capable of obtaining a license, they could.

4. As long as my degree is accepted in all 50 states the Navy will not frown on it because it is out of the US? (I can still be commissioned right?)The rules are outlined in OPNAV INST 1120.4

-TheSpaniard HM1(FMF)

I know you don't want to hear it, but FMGs have considerably more difficulty matching in US GME, especially the more competitive ones. It would be rash to assume that the Navy would be willing to consider you prior to completing a US residency as is the rule. While studying abroad certainly has a romantic appeal, there are definate drawbacks. In the end, it might actually prevent you from reaching your goals.

For active duty USN
http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/physicians/#specific-requirements
For Reserve USN
http://www.navyreserve.com/careers/health-care/physicians/#requirements

I'd suspect that the stipulations for FMG/IMG outlined in the USNR advert would apply to the AD MC, though it's possible that they are more stringent.

Fro Army:
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/medical/corps_specialties_requir.jsp

I can't find a more specific reference for USAF, but I'm pretty sure an FMG/IMG would already have to have completed a US residency and have BC.