Options for an OMSII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlove4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went back and forth on Navy HPSP and ultimately decided not to apply, one of the big reasons being I didn't know what school would be like and if I would change my mind on career paths. Fast forward I am entering OMSII and am still thinking that would've been a good choice. I am at the bottom quartile of my class and am worried about securing a residency even though I want to do peds (possibly child psych). What options might I have to join navy medicine? Is the only way to enter the military match via HPSP/USUHS? I am aware navy comes high likelihood of GMO. No military experience but am at least familiar with it from friends and family.

Members don't see this ad.

I went back and forth on Navy HPSP and ultimately decided not to apply, one of the big reasons being I didn't know what school would be like and if I would change my mind on career paths. Fast forward I am entering OMSII and am still thinking that would've been a good choice. I am at the bottom quartile of my class and am worried about securing a residency even though I want to do peds (possibly child psych). What options might I have to join navy medicine? Is the only way to enter the military match via HPSP/USUHS? I am aware navy comes high likelihood of GMO. No military experience but am at least familiar with it from friends and family.

Just an FYI that Peds is actually relatively competitive in the Navy, and much more so than civilian Peds. There are people that want to do it and don't get to, and it doesn't lend itself to being a TY, doing a GMO tour, and then coming into the program just because of how it's set up. Can't speak for the competitiveness of the other services.

Joining because your afraid of not getting a civilian spot is not a good reason to subject yourself to the demands of military medicine.

HPSP is, I believe, your only option in medical school. You can do FAP once you've secured a residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Given that you want Peds, I would avoid a two year HPSP since it is very competitive in the Navy. Go into the civilian match and get a Peds spot there. You can join via FAP or after you finish residency. You'll also avoid a GMO tour with those options.

Given that you want Peds, I would avoid a two year HPSP since it is very competitive in the Navy. Go into the civilian match and get a Peds spot there. You can join via FAP or after you finish residency. You'll also avoid a GMO tour with those options.

This. And if you do want Peds as a Navy residency, the chances are pretty high of a GMO tour if you even do get selected for Peds internship given that your medical school performance is sub-par.