Options for mass resident outside of Northeast region

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Langone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a massachusetts resident planning on applying this year. I have two questions, first what allopathic schools outside of the northeast region and NJ, PE, and NY are worth applying to if my application is not exactly stellar. Second what would be the minimum MCAT score I would have to get in may(not to say I'm not shooting for a 45 and all, but worst case scenario) that would allow me to get into a SINGLE allopathic medical school in the continental US. My stats are 3.2 at UConn(upward trend, and a 3.4 not counting freshman year), 3.3 BCPM, 3.7 at the harvard extension school for a total of about 45 science credits(immunology/disease related classes/genetics etc). 2 years research in the anesthesia department, good LOR's, shadowing, voluntering etc...Thanks for your help everyone...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a massachusetts resident planning on applying this year. I have two questions, first what allopathic schools outside of the northeast region and NJ, PE, and NY are worth applying to if my application is not exactly stellar. Second what would be the minimum MCAT score I would have to get in may(not to say I'm not shooting for a 45 and all, but worst case scenario) that would allow me to get into a SINGLE allopathic medical school in the continental US. My stats are 3.2 at UConn(upward trend, and a 3.4 not counting freshman year), 3.3 BCPM, 3.7 at the harvard extension school for a total of about 45 science credits(immunology/disease related classes/genetics etc). 2 years research in the anesthesia department, good LOR's, shadowing, voluntering etc...Thanks for your help everyone...

You should get a copy of the MSAR and compare your stats to the averages at schools outside of the northeast. There are no cutoffs or minimum scores.

MSAR! That's the key. Otherwise, look for private schools (since most public schools generally accept students from within their other states) in areas you are interested in. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied very broadly and I would suggest only applying to schools in locations that you would actually want to end up. As you're making your list, think about the fact that each school you apply to could be THE only school you get in to.

So, in that vein, where do you want to be? Urban/suburban/rural? Are you looking to get out of the northeast, or just trying to apply more broadly? If your family/friends/support system are all in the NE and you know you want to end up there, it doesn't really make sense to apply around the country.

I'd take a look at the SUNY (New York State) schools...they look at OOS applicants and you can get residency for tuition purposes after your first year. But yeah, get the MSAR and go through it page by page.

Good luck!

Hi,

Your state school UMass is going to be your best odds. For others, I agree -- get the MSAR and see what schools seem to accept GPA averages closer to yours. With a 3.2 plus a solid postbac you probably are going to get strongly looked at with an MCAT in the matriculant average (30) ballpark. But there really isn't a sliding scale at most places, so it's not like there's a specific score you must have given a specific GPA. You need to do well in everything.

speaking from actual experience as a MA resident w/a 3.2, postbac grad program, research w/publication, and lots of clinical experience, and mcat >30 (31Q), that gpa will get u zippo as in zero interviews. i own the MSAR and no US allo school has an avg gpa in the range of 3.2 (w/the exception of Howard, Meharry, and maybe one other?). the 3.7 will help, but harvard extension doesn't have the reputation of say the georgetown SMP program. its apples and oranges. not to be negative, but if possible i would seriously consider moving to another state. study for the MCAT there and shoot for >35. im really not kidding. this is my 3rd time applying and im headed to a DO school in the fall. the son of someone my mother works with applied as a MA resident, didn't get in, moved to VA and then got in to VCU. unless u have extenuating circumstances for your grades (ie mother died freshman year, etc) or are a URM, u will have a very very difficult time making a case for yourself w/an MCAT<35 as a MA resident. best of luck to u. there are isolated success cases out there, but don't be fooled. change your residency while u can (i wish i had thought of this before but its too late for me).

Your state school UMass is going to be your best odds. For others, I agree -- get the MSAR and see what schools seem to accept GPA averages closer to yours. With a 3.2 plus a solid postbac you probably are going to get strongly looked at with an MCAT in the matriculant average (30) ballpark. But there really isn't a sliding scale at most places, so it's not like there's a specific score you must have given a specific GPA. You need to do well in everything.

im sorry but i had to add, who are u kidding?? UMass is tougher to get into than even Harvard according to some local docs since the tuition is so cheap. the avg MCAT is like 33 or 34 and the gpa is probably in the range of 3.75 (dont have my msar handy). very very difficult, and thats all we got for state schools.

UMass is tough to get into - but less competition overall. You either have to be born in MA, or have lived in MA for 5 years (not just for school - independently). Their class size is average, but the number of applicants is reduced by this restriction.

I have been a MA resident for 4 years now, so I don't qualify...but I got into PSU, so I plan on going there. My advice - be prepared to move out of MA, whether you want to or not.

There are actually a ton of schools in the northeast (or atleast the East) that you will want to apply to. NYMC, Albany, SUNYs, Drexel, Temple, Jeff, Penn State,

NC/VA: Wake Forest, EVMS, VCU

Then check out schools towards the west:

Chicago: RFU, Rush, Loyola
Saint Louis: SLU,
New Orleans: Tulane
Michigan: Wayne State, MSU

That's probably around 20 schools right there. Do some research into 'em, their matriculant averages are relatively low (3.5/30) and you may have a fighting chance.