All Branch Topic (ABT) Options for officers to go to medical school and civilian residency after completing service obligations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaren

Reaction score
From what I know to, there are only two options for officers to go to medical school and civilian residency after completing service obligations: 1) resignation and 2) transfer to reserve.

My questions are:
1. Are there other options to gurantee to be able to do civilian residency?
2. If officers resigns his/her commission, finish medical school+residency, then rejoin as a military physician, will thier will retain his/her previous rank?
3. If officers transfers to reserve,
3.1. What reserve unit will be transfered to? IRR-VTU or SELRES or other?
3.2. Can an officer request to be transfered to their prefered unit?
3.3. What type of drills to do to earn retirement point? Will it be too much to do the drills together with studying medicine?
3.4. Are the drills difference in each reserve unit?
3.5. If the drills location, for example NOCS, is very far from the medical school, will an officer allow to do the drills somewhere else that is near his/her medical school?
3.6. Officers who is transfered to reserve, will they considered as reserve officer? What are the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Yes, national guard, may or may not take the stipend depending on what you want to do with your life.
2. There's a complicated formula. Basically, you get 4yrs toward rank for med school, plus 1/2 credit for non medical officer time. Your time in service for pay will not include med school. So, if you do 12 years as an officer then go to med school, you'll have 4+6=10 years to rank (O-4) with 12 years time in service.
3. These are very situation dependent so it would be difficult to give you an accurate answer.

Good luck.

From what I know to, there are only two options for officers to go to medical school and civilian residency after completing service obligations: 1) resignation and 2) transfer to reserve.

My questions are:
1. Are there other options to gurantee to be able to do civilian residency?
2. If officers resigns his/her commission, finish medical school+residency, then rejoin as a military physician, will thier will retain his/her previous rank?
3. If officers transfers to reserve,
3.1. What reserve unit will be transfered to? IRR-VTU or SELRES or other?
3.2. Can an officer request to be transfered to their prefered unit?
3.3. What type of drills to do to earn retirement point? Will it be too much to do the drills together with studying medicine?
3.4. Are the drills difference in each reserve unit?
3.5. If the drills location, for example NOCS, is very far from the medical school, will an officer allow to do the drills somewhere else that is near his/her medical school?
3.6. Officers who is transfered to reserve, will they considered as reserve officer? What are the difference?
I have a decent amount of personal experience with this, I'll send you a message.