Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

options now that I didn't match or scramble?

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by H0mersimps0n, Mar 13, 2007.

1. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

so aside from being a career loser - what can I do with my life now that I've failed to match or scramble?

Maybe door-to-door salesman in Iraq? That'd accomplish the rest of my goals at least...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You weren't able to scramble into anything?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pj367

pj367 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess the next step is for you to scramble into a traditional internship somewhere. I know there are still some internship spots in the area where you got your residancy interviews. you need to do the DO intership in order to practice in one of the 5 nasty states anyway. you could try again next year after you do your internship. or you could see if there would be any other fields you would be happy in.

i'm sorry that you are in this situation. I did notice that there are a couple of people on Auntminnie that had already done an internship and matched this year. maybe you could PM some of those people and see if they have an advice for what you can do next year to land a spot.

By the way...are all 17 spots gone now?

4. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    might try and land a spot in a prelim program or TY year where there is a radiology program in the same hospital.

5. GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry to hear that. Scrambling sucks...

Did positions go so quickly that you weren't able to get anything?

6. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd do something interesting for a year--mission or volunteer work or something like that, and reapply next year. You might want to consider another field besides radiology unless you are able to retake exams or do something to make yourself more marketable (I have no idea what your stats are, I'm just assuming since you didn't match that there might be room for improvement?). It's a very competitive field, obviously, even for the most stellar of applicants.

Best of luck. I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you this year, but as they say, when one door closes, another one opens.

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    He can't retake the exams since he passed them. Rads is very competitive and when there are open positions in a competitive field, they go fast in the scramble, as there are lots of qualified people who apply.

While taking a year off to do something interesting sounds great, if it were me, I'd rather do a Prelim year in Medicine or Surgery and at least have some clinical experience under my belt, which could be used to either get a Rads position at a later date, or transfer into another field.

I'm sure you feel angry and frustrated but now is the time to make some serious decisions:

I know you're married and your wife is still in school - is it impossible in your mind to take a position away from her, knowing that she could join you next year and potentially spend a great deal of her elective time near you?

If that's not an option (and no one would blame you if it weren't), is it worth it to do a Prelim or TY year in SOMETHING, and then apply together next year?

Are you so determined to do Rads that you would quit medicine altogether if you can't match into that field? Everyone trying to match into a competitive specialty needs to have a Plan B. What was yours?

You don't have to do FP or anything you hate, but is there something acceptable that you could see yourself doing?

All isn't totally lost...people do still find positions after the scramble or during a second match.

8. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Earlier in the year I had asked a few radiology PDs and most said doing a year of clinical training and try to do some research during your prelim year. Network in the hospital.

Whatever you do, hope it works out for you.

9. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe we could stop perpetuating the stereotype of FP as the specialty people "hate" or that's always the dreaded Plan B?

Just a thought.

FP filled 89% this year, up 5% from last year, by the way. :)

I have to agree with Kimberli here, however. If FP is something you hate, please don't let it be your default.

10. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Sorry if my words offended, but they come straight from the OP, who posted in another thread, something along the lines of, "did I come this far and work this hard, only to do something I would hate like FP".

I was merely suggesting that there are other options besides FP, not that it should be everyone's Plan B. It just was something the OP didn't see himself being happy doing. I don't think he was even seriously considering doing it as an option.

Hey, I used to want to do FP before I "found" surgery...besides, some of my best friends are FPs! ;)

11. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted

Resident [Any Field]
    I knew you had to have a good reason for that comment. Nobody wants to invoke the wrath of KentW, after all...;)

12. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

13. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I can imagine you're upset. It seems like everyone here is trying to help you, though. Cursing and getting angry at your internet peers is not going to endear anyone to want to assist you. If you need to take out some frustration, I'm sure there is a First Aid or first year textbook laying around somewhere in your apartment...best of luck to you H0mersimps0n. We're supporting you. Keep on keeping on with contacting programs. You never know.

14. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    I am sorry I misquoted you; it was not intentional and I'm also sorry if I offended you. I was being lazy for not looking up the thread...I just couldn't remember where you posted it.

15. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Eh, I ain't scared of him...after all, I have KNIVES!

16. GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

You better chill out dude. While we understand your frustration...many people throughout the country find themselves in similar shoes. You're not the only one that this has happened to.

It is not fair for you to take it out on anyone else, especially Kimberli who has been helping everyone through this very stressful time. While she might have misunderstood your post, it is no reason for you to be nasty.

Your response might be indicative of reasons why you did not match.

17. badgas

badgas Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh wow. Real nice post pal. I don't know what is more ridiculous... people getting offended when someone refers to FP as unpopular or your comforting words!

18. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Cool heads, guys.

Its very common for things to get out of hand this time of the year. It happens every year - people are on edge. So try and keep negative comments to a limit and try to wear asbestos if people complain about your comments. And thank you, but there is no need to defend me; I appreciate it, but its not needed.:)

19. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted

Resident [Any Field]
    Actually, Kimberli wasn't "offended", she was responding to my post...and unfortunately for those who like to bash FP, I wasn't "offended" either. I honestly don't care whether my chosen field is "popular" or not--this is not sorority rush. I just want it to be fairly represented. Apparently enough of us like it to make a higher fill rate than ever before.

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :love:

;)

21. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. :D <--- Note the green smiley, like the Incredible Hulk.

22. badgas

badgas Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I realize that SHE wasn't offended ;) And a lot of times the unpopular specialties will be "plan B." He wasn't saying that everyone hates FP... just that HE hates FP. Therefore no need to quote the fill %. Glad you like it though cause that's all that matters. :luck: Thursday

23. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    Interested parties might want to ask Panda Bear how smart it is to scramble into a field that they don't want to do simply out of desperation. ;)

24. GATC

GATC Member
    7+ Year Member

I was referring to the beeped out part. Irrespective of the circumstances, it is not needed.

25. Obedeli

Obedeli Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Homer,
    I have read many of your posts and I offer my sincerest sympathies (not that you asked of course). I do have to suggestions or options for you.

1. Go into the air force: AWESOME benefits and you could become a flight surgeon (not an actual surgeon, a primary care doc for pilots) and learn to fly yourself. A buddy of mine went to DO school and then served 4 years in the air force as a flight surgeon. He was trained and flew an F-16. Needless to say, I am jealous.

2. Become an FP or internist: A friend of mine from my intern year was a medicine resident and he had the best set up. He actually made me have second thoughts about my residency (yes radiology). He is not going to specialize. He had made a deal with a hospital from his home town. They started him on salary (NOW), will pay his overhead, set up his office, help him find a house, and pay his medical school for him to go practice for them. His call was very reasonable and provided an option of a hospitalist coming in at night for line placements, etc. The ER would admit overnight, and he could come in the morning to round. Incredible deal. FP and internal medicine do get knocked around on these message boards (by me included at times) but you can use the primary care shortage to your advantage in ways like I described.

I hope this helped.

26. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

yeah I need to accept the fact that I'm grossly underqualified to live my dream which leaves EM, IM and FP in that order. I think I'm grossly underqualified for EM too.

I have a lot of thinking to do over the next few months. I'm so exhausted by this process the thought of going through it again in July makes me want to sob uncontrollably....

this is Fing so depressing, I'm going to bed

27. acolyte28

acolyte28 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Have some faith in yourself and the system.

I went through my intern year wondering what field I should "try" to like and see myself doing, but ended up going with the field that I didn't match into in the first place.

So I worked harder than my fellow interns in order to get time to interview, get face-time with PDs, second looks, etc. Amazingly, I ended up getting even better interview invites as an intern than as an MS-IV. On the trail, no PDs even brought up the fact that I wasn't a student or asked what happened the first time around.

Needless to say, I matched and couldn't be happier, especially after having a year off after intern year to do lots of things I could never have done before even starting med school.

PM me if you'd like, and most importantly don't give up :thumbup:

28. Duckie24

Duckie24 Totally Quackers!
    5+ Year Member

Wow, everyone needs to take a chill pill. Are these forums rated for elementary school kids? Some people express emotion through different kinds of words. And who are we to tell anyone what kinds of words they can use?! The OP's message was pretty tame as far as I'm concerned. I've heard much worse from patients in the hospital. Thick skin is a GOOD thing people.

29. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    "We" don't usually have to...the profanity filter takes care of that. ;)

30. LovelyRita

LovelyRita Blade Slinger
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :(

A year ago this very same week I was never so depressed in my whole life. I was a complete mess. I'm so thankful for all of my friends and family who I spent hours upon hours with on the phone listening to me sob.

I think there's a TRI spot at our hospital for next year.

Over the weeks following the match, I traveled to a few TRI interviews, re-searched my soul, considered other options, and was like "NO." I love the OR and that's where I'm gonna be. I've got a spot now and all is well. Last spring I also called another gensurg program I was interested in and told them I was interested in a pgy2 spot. They had one for me but I decided to stay where I'm at.

Good luck. It's not over. Hard to believe, I mean after all you did and went through to apply, interview, etc., but believe me it's not over.

Hang in there!!:luck:

31. korry1977

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yep...

I am in the same boat... lol... last day of scramble and didnt get anywhere...

anybody had any luck with findaresident.org?

any advice?

32. chumbojumbo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    To all you guys saying "don't give up", thank you. Your right it is so depressing...no prelim spots, no trans spots, nada, in the scramble...any other advice? Would research in our field of interest really help all that much? And if so, how do we get involved?

33. luckyDO

luckyDO Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

My options are rapidly getting depressing too... why is it so hard to get a spot this year :confused:

34. Lost2007

Medical Student
    Hello All,

I too am another failure in the the match and scramble, I was applying for IM and for some reason didnt match and its not looking good, I had some really good interviews but maybe they were all to competitive, I don't know. My question to all is what do you say to the PD next year when they ask you why you think you didn't match or what excuse do you use for sitting out a year. I have heard that it may be more difficult next year for those who don't match this year. Any thoughts on the subject? So what should we say next year if we dont match this year?

35. Villin

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    haha :laugh: what a joke. how many fewer spots did they offer this year compared to last year? try a figure of 100...500 over the past 5 or so years.

36. sahara

sahara New Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I didn't make it through neither the match nor the scramble.I'm planning on giving step 3 hope that helps.

37. boldwater

boldwater boldwater
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hopefully your grammar was better in your application...I hear programs can screen based on that.

38. AutomaTron

Medical Student
    I say if you were semi-competitive for radiology you were probably more than qualified for other lifestyle residencies so just do some research in anesthesia or something even though it was hot this year and then make up something about having seen the light at the last minute. Contact the dean about getting a stipend for research in the field you choose for a year after picking your second lifestyle residency/ choice and buddy up with some of the faculty after getting their and your names published based on your research and their grant and move on either in the match or outside it.

39. sahara

sahara New Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Being a FMG, I don't have that option.