Quantcast

Options to Raise Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maganda07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a B.S. in Biology from UC Irvine, and am looking to raise my undergrad GPA through post-bacc courses at local colleges/universities.

Would it be more valuable to increasing my chances of acceptances to schools by re-taking undergrad science courses at a 4-year university, or should I re-take them at a community college?

I believe the greatest difference in the two options are the expenses per unit, and the value of education that I would receive--assuming that a 4-year would be much more expensive, and would have a more recognizable name than a community college.

RoadRunner17

Fleet of feet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would probably be better to take the courses at a 4-year university if you're at the point where you need to raise your GPA to be more competitive for admissions. Can't support my post with concrete reasoning but I don't think I would look at CC courses at this point as being a good thing.

WeAreNotRobots

m.d. doing radiology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
first of all, whether you should re-take or take additional different courses depends on what your grades are. so enlighten us: how bad are your grades?

second, it is well-established that applicants should not take prereqs or classes to merely boost your grades at a CC. i think the same should apply for postbacs.

maganda07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science GPA is below a 3.0. I am very serious about taking these post-bacc courses. I have plans on retaking a couple courses I did not do well in, as well as a couple extra science courses to boost up that GPA.

Brown8472

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is never a good idea to "re"-take your pre-requisites at a lower level institution simply to boost your GPA when you have already graduated from a 4-year university and took upper level courses already. I understand that price is a factor but in your case, you may have to bite that bullet and ace a post-bac program.:xf::cool::)