Mar 31, 2010
Status
Hi, I'm new so thanks for anybody for taking the time to address my situation.

I have a cGPA 2.8 with a major in Biz and Econ. I would need to take science and math classes in order to get my pre-med done. Assuming I excel that those classes. Could I expect to get into a good SMPs or PostBac programs?

What are my options for getting into a university to finish my pre-req? I live in Northern California, can I just register at a school like SF State or Sac State or do I have to apply as a non-traditional student.

BTW I'm 24, I've been out of school for a year and I didn't apply myself at all. I have two routes for schooling.

Get my BIO/Chem req and either continue into medicine or go to law and do Health or IP law. It would be based on whether I enjoy it, do well in it and a combo of both.

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I have a cGPA 2.8 with a major in Biz and Econ. I would need to take science and math classes in order to get my pre-med done. Assuming I excel that those classes. Could I expect to get into a good SMPs or PostBac programs?

What are my options for getting into a university to finish my pre-req? I live in Northern California, can I just register at a school like SF State or Sac State or do I have to apply as a non-traditional student.

BTW I'm 24, I've been out of school for a year and I didn't apply myself at all. I have two routes for schooling.

Get my BIO/Chem req and either continue into medicine or go to law and do Health or IP law. It would be based on whether I enjoy it, do well in it and a combo of both.
Your case is slightly interesting, most people have sGPAs that need help or come in with no science background with high GPAs in their major. My major question comes from why you're asking us (mostly pre-meds/medical students/pre-dent) for advice on whether you should start pursuing medicine or go into something else?

You're looking at about 2 years bare minimum before you are ready to apply for SMPs or apply to medical school as you lack all pre-reqs, MCAT, LOR, shadowing and clinical experience. If you go into law, you only need to do well on the LSATs to get into law school and from there if you wanted to do intellectual properties, i'm guessing you most likely will need a degree in whatever field you wish to practice IP in (ie. you have an engineering background if you wanted to work for Hewlett Packard).

So yeah the choice is yours. You can register at Sac State or SFSU. You don't need an actual degree, you just need the pre-reqs which are gen chem, ochem, physics and gen bio. If you go to SFSU i think they have a formal program for you to take all the pre-reqs and can possibly assist you in the application process. I don't know about Sac State.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009

1st, figure out what you want to do. Seems harsh but you've got to know before you start doing premed stuff, or else its just a waste of time and money. Medicine is not like law, you cannot just decide to go into it when you can't think of anything better. Getting those pre-reqs done will be difficult... but lets assume, as you said.

Without science pre-reqs + MCAT/GRE + ~3.0 GPA, you cannot get into an SMP. You may be a candidate for post-baccs but there are so many so do your research. Your options would be to register as a non-matriculating student... or do a second baccalaureate degree in biosci since you will have so many classes to take. Take those pre-reqs and focus seriously on them and you can help raise your GPA while you're at it. Check out the official low-gpa thread and see what others like you have been suggested to do.

gl0baltrader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student

Technically the answer is "yes" but as someone mentioned in this thread that it's going to take at least two years. I would recommend going for a structured post-bac program cause you will have the guidance and/or opportunity to do some clinical experience.. and I'm assuming being an econ/biz major you have < 1 year experience.

You can do a formal post-bac program @ SFSU or SJSU I believe or you can do a non-formal post-bac. But being non-formal post-bac means you have no priority in registration and it might take longer to get your pre-reqs done.

There are also other options such as mills in Oakland.

Either way you choose, it will be really challenging. I am saying this because you're grades are less than competitive to gain admission and it doesn't seem that you have any idea what your interest is in. I would do an internship in a law firm or shadow a physician before going in and getting your BIO/CHEM reqs. Once you know what you want then you can go for it.

Jlaw

7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Like the others said- get a plan together. Law and medicine are two totally unrelated fields in terms of life, schooling and pre reqs.

You don't need anything to go into a post bacc- during the post bacc is when you will complete your math, science, etc. Post bacc is broadly defined, it can be a top notch program or it can consist of you taking classes at a community college....it's just taking undergraduate classes after receiving your bachelors. Be warned that if you do the post bacc you will have nothing to show for it at the end. Some schools may award a certificate but it all means nothing if you aren't going to enroll in med school. The basic sciences are alot of work so make sure you want to go the medicine route before committing.

If you go the post bacc route then you need to figure out why you were doing badly before- be it motivation, study skills, distractions, etc. You want to get the very best GPA possible during your post bacc, or else it is a waste of your time.

Jlaw

7+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just wanted to add, maybe try volunteering at a hospital or getting your EMT cert to see if you have an interest in medicine. It sounds great and all but if you faint at the sight of blood or realize that you hate talking to patients then your decision is made for you. Good luck!