Options with my Comlex score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d-dimer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a 574 on Comlex 1, no intentions of taking USMLE Step 1 or 2, and no research, what specialties and IM fellowships are available to me? As for FM and IM, what locations am I not competitive at? Thanks

This is a loaded question without definitive answers. There's no magic list of where you can apply and where you can't. You should take a look where students have matched from your previous classes from your school as well. You're obviously more competitive for FM without Step scores, but you'd be fine with community IM and maybe a few low-tier university IM places that might take DO students without Step scores. As for fellowships, they care more about where you go to residency, aka they'd like you to go to a University IM place if possible, but that doesn't mean you're closed off if you go community, but it will make things harder, depending on what fellowship you want to match too. Also, I'm hearing more and more that fellowships are wanting to see Step scores as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With a 574 on Comlex 1, no intentions of taking USMLE Step 1 or 2, and no research, what specialties and IM fellowships are available to me? As for FM and IM, what locations am I not competitive at? Thanks
I'll leave it to our wise resident colleagues to better advise as to the wheres, but at a minimum:
Neuro
ER
Gas
Path
PM&R
IM
FM
Rads

Reactions: 1 user
This is a loaded question without definitive answers. There's no magic list of where you can apply and where you can't. You should take a look where students have matched from your previous classes from your school as well. You're obviously more competitive for FM without Step scores, but you'd be fine with community IM and maybe a few low-tier university IM places that might take DO students without Step scores. As for fellowships, they care more about where you go to residency, aka they'd like you to go to a University IM place if possible, but that doesn't mean you're closed off if you go community, but it will make things harder, depending on what fellowship you want to match too. Also, I'm hearing more and more that fellowships are wanting to see Step scores as well.
Another loaded one: Am I competitive for California or Texas FM programs? Should I do audition rotations for those programs? Also, what specific fellowships are attainable from a community IM program? And fellowships are fine with just COMLEX scores?

You're gonna have a pretty hard time matching ACGME EM, Rads or Gas in desirable places without any USMLE scores

I'll leave it to our wise resident colleagues to better advise as to the wheres, but at a minimum:
Neuro
ER
Gas
Path
PM&R
IM
FM
Rads

Clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about. You should be "wise" and stay of threads where you offer no assistance.

Should I do audition/away rotations at AOA or ACGME FM residencies?

Your score is competitive for FM roughly anywhere, but just know that in general California is very difficult to get a residency spot in. FM programs focus on a lot of factors when looking at applicants (Personality, actual desire to go into FM and it not being your backup), so in general the score isn't quite as necessary in some fields such as say EM or Ortho.
As for where you should do "auditions," everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I say go to where you really want to be. I will note that Auditioning is much more of a big deal in the DO world than it is the MD world (in my experience this year).

I think you're good for FM and community IM, and some lower tier academic IM places.
Try to be flexible and get into an academic IM program if possible, as it's much easier to get a fellowship from those places. Good luck!