Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl8001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After undergrad I took 2 years off. Now that I have finally decided to go into medicine , my overall gpa and sci gpa is not strong . What would be some good options to raise the gpa In hopes of staying in the states. Carib is the last resort .

Members don't see this ad.

Take more classes in some form.

In general or as in post bacc. I've seen some post bac programs but wasn't sure if it's the proper route .

Members don't see this ad :)
In general or as in post bacc. I've seen some post bac programs but wasn't sure if it's the proper route .

Just like the above poster, no one can offer any opinions unless they know more about you.

All path are viable options.

My cgpa is. 3.1 . Psych major/ socio minor . Took a few sci and got b/c . I volunteered w an optometrist ( original plan) and shadowed an ob/gyn.

You have a couple options:

1. Retake all of your Cs and below and apply DO (informal post-bacc - DO grade replacement); use a GPA calculator to figure out what you can bring your GPA up to.
2. SMP/formal post-bacc if you're dead-set on allopathic schools. This is probably your worst option, as it requires you to absolutely destroy the MCAT to get a look from US allopathic schools.
3. That's all I got.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bac or SMP, preferably given at a med school.

OR retake any F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools.

After undergrad I took 2 years off. Now that I have finally decided to go into medicine , my overall gpa and sci gpa is not strong . What would be some good options to raise the gpa In hopes of staying in the states. Carib is the last resort .

My cgpa is. 3.1 . Psych major/ socio minor . Took a few sci and got b/c . I volunteered w an optometrist ( original plan) and shadowed an ob/gyn.

Everyone above posted good options.

I personally was in a similar boat (worse boat?) with my GPA and chose to take classes on my own followed by a formal post-bac. I think you aren't that far off from DO school, so retaking classes for a year is a good plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Look for SMPs that have alternate-entry pathways into medical schools (i.e., a back door). For instance, I am an undergrad at Loyola and we have a 1 year MAMS program that guarantees you an interview at Stritch as long as you have a certain MCAT score and finish the program with a decent GPA. I believe 100% of students matriculate every year from it. Just one possibility. I know from reading Goro's posts a lot that many schools reward reinvention but you often have to nail your MCAT and have a good story.

Sounds like you'll need to take most of the med school prereqs anyway, so take those as a formal or informal postbac and see where your GPA stands. If it's still pretty low, retake some classes you did especially poorly in and apply DO. Don't go carib.

I've never looked into DO. How do they calculate grades ? Separate from your degree or all together as one ?

Do some searching for AACOMAS grade calculation policies.