Optom for 17000 CAD/year or Dentistry for 80000 USD/year???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CANGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...

I'm having troubles deciding what to do so I wanted some of your input.

I got an interview for Optometry in Canada and it would cost me 17 000

I also got an interview for Dentistry however that tuition would be 80 000 a year.

Now many of you I know really want to be dentists. How do you all plan on paying for this? Taking loans? Grants?

See for me, id get close to NIL grants/scholarships being a Canadian attending an American school. And a 300 000 loan seems ridiculous to pay off. I mean thats equivalent to a 30 year house mortgage.

Tell me what ya'll think. I feel dentistry is way better clinically would be my number one choice if i got into Canada. But Optom is also a good clean profession with a much better easier business to run. Help me OUt! PLZ :)

Members don't see this ad.

CANGirl,

My fellow Canadian, I've been reading your posts and I'd like to first congrat you late you on the interview offer for optometry. Being that there is only 1 school in Ontario, I can understand the competitiveness of the program.

Now for my opinion. What it really comes down to is what you really want to do as a career. You cannot just solely look at the tuition, although it is of importance. You must find your passion, why you like dentistry over optometry and vice versa. I think that is your road block. It is vital you sort out which you like better. You do not want any regrets if you choose to be an optometrists and think everyday that you should have been a dentist. Void all monetary rewards, choose a profession in which you will be more happy to do. You haven't shadowed any dentists yet, which is a big problem. Shadowing is vital as it'll allow and show how passionate you are and interested in the dental profession.

I'm a little confused with your dilemma. You have an interview to be on a waitlist at NYU. To be honest, the likelihood you'll get in is close to nill as NYU has started pulling people off their waitlist already and you haven't even had your interview yet. Did you apply late? What are your stats? So many questions...Why don't you just wait this year out and apply for the 2008 cycle early, you might get into cheaper schools.

About the tuition. What Canadian doesn't dream of going to school in Canada- it's so cheap. But for those who can't, and you're not the first, there are lines of credits you can take from a Canadian bank as well as private loan companies (CanHelp) to assist you in attending US dental schools. It's a lot of money, but it all goes back to how passionate you are in wanting to become a dentist.

So I read some of your other post and have learned that you have an extremely high GPA. That's awesome. I think what is best is for you to apply for the 2008 cycle early! You'll get into some amazing US schools that have much cheaper tuition due to a lower living expense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,.. actually i did volunteer!! I got it in..sent some letters in and that is why I think i got the offer now.

Yah see i scored 98% on the OAT and my family and freinds all think i should do Optom because its a good profession. I just feel like everything and every sign is telling me to do it. Ive actually volunteered in both, and honestly both professions are the same. In the end its a BUSINESS a BUSINESS.. believe it or not. And your daily routines become just routine and boring. I mean i've heard of heart surgeons say that what they do gets boring. SO really its a life style that im considering.

However.... my passion no doubt is dentistry. 1 because im very artistic and i want my work to be hands on. But the 17 000 vs 80 000 is really KILLING ME. I mean my father is not well, and he has lots of money but I think it is just unreasonable to use it to that extent. I mean I personally think why dentists have high suicide rates is because 1 they are people who couldnt get into med school so they did dentistry and 2 the BIGGEST thing is the huge DEBT they get themselves into. I wonder if many dentists even pay it off well before 40? What do u think?

Stats mm gpa on the AADSAS site is 3.65 and BCP 3.79 donno what it means. But i think its weighted more because we are Canadians? We use a different scale i think.

Dat BIOL 20 CHEM 21 READING 17 (the thing that didnt get me into canada this year!! grrr) PAT 20 and Carving 26.

Yah im honestly soo confused.. I really need some guidance and help. I keep hearing the ole. "Do what you really wanna do" But really life isnt so happy on a side that isnt greener.. with so much debt. You know what I mean?

Yes i applied late. Because i thought i would get into canada this year.

I applied end of Jan. LOL yea.....

I hear you. Like I've said in the above post, you have a high GPA, there is no doubt if you were to apply in the 2008 cycle EARLY, you'll get accepted to much more schools that have a lower tuition. It'll still be higher than the Canadian schools, but it is definitely more managable and less stressful.

You applied very late in the cycle. US schools go through rolling admissions instead of Canadian schools which have deadline to apply.

PS: Your carving score is amazing!

Guy i took the DAT three times because of the damn carving score!

I was like what gives im an artist why can't i do this ****.. my first score was like 8 second 14.. third time 26 LOL but then my reading comp went down by 1 the third time.. so annoying :( and I even wrote the MCATS and prepared for them before doing the damn DAT Reading comp section.. my mark should have improved but unfortunatley i have bad luck.

See if i wait a year... it doesnt matter then does it? Might aswell get into what im getting into now... And 50 000 in the end is no difference to me. Like 250 000 vs 300 000 is no difference i guess. I just can't seem to put my mind in 80 000 a YEAR like that is extreme no?

Right now i just do not want to wait a year.. ill be way too depressed if i do.. all my hard work for NOTHING? lol nope think not.. im gonna do something or another lol

If you do not want to wait a year, then the choice is very clear for you- g'luck on your optometry interview.