Optometry in Europe/Italy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venon11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about being an optometrist overseas? I am planning on applying to optometry school this summer but have always had an urge to travel, esp. to Italy, and maybe live there for a year or so. Any input? I would prefer to go there with a job but the idea of taking a year off before optometry school has been brought up also. If not before, maybe after? I don’t like wasting time…am graduating after 3 years of school and would prefer to go through optometry school sooner than later. Does anyone know if they allow for optometrists to practice there or what you would have to go through to be able to practice, licensing, school, etc. and if it is possible…how would you go about practicing in the U.S. after working in Europe?
A little bit more about me: I am from Europe, have been living in the state of Georgia for the past 10 years visiting home every other summer. Going to Italy has been one of those once in a lifetime kind of things…I have been working very hard to get to where I am (academically) and am concerned that I will never get to make the trip if I keep going at the rate that I am now… any input/advice would be more than appreciated! :xf: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If the only reason you want to go to Optometry school in Europe, is because you want to travel there, I would opt for taking the year off and traveling there. If you still think you want to remain there for your studies, you have a whole year of experiences to base it on. I know it may seem like you are "wasting" time, but sometimes a year off does a lot more good than trying to rush to the next stage of your life as quickly as possible. Hope that helps :)

I would def. go to school here in the U.S. either way just don’t know if I should become an optometrist first or how hard the transition would be. But thanks for your advice!!

Where from Europe are you? Have you ever been to Italy before? Can you speak Italian? Do you want to go to Italy to work as an optometrist or simply just go there for fun? I am having trouble deciphering your post.