Optometry School GPA Requirements/Screens/Last 50-60 Credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob Debilder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know practically nothing about optometry; but after DO schools stopped doing grade replacement I am looking into it (I am aware of the same institution grade replacement rule for Optometry Schools).

So I had a couple of general questions:

1) Do most Optometry schools have a "hard requirement" in terms of minimum GPA; and do they auto-screen any application below that number?

2) Is there a list of optometry schools that don't have concrete minimum GPA requirements/automatic screens? And are there any schools which openly state that they put greater stock in your last 50/60 units than your cumulative performance?

3) Are there any rumblings/possibilities that Optometry Schools might suddenly close the grade replacement window as well (sorry, but I'm just too scarred after what DO schools did - I was really counting on grade replacement)?

Thank you very much in advance to all who answer; I really appreciate any help or advice I can get right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I know practically nothing about optometry; but after DO schools stopped doing grade replacement I am looking into it (I am aware of the same institution grade replacement rule for Optometry Schools).

So I had a couple of general questions:

1) Do most Optometry schools have a "hard requirement" in terms of minimum GPA; and do they auto-screen any application below that number?

2) Is there a list of optometry schools that don't have concrete minimum GPA requirements/automatic screens? And are there any schools which openly state that they put greater stock in your last 50/60 units than your cumulative performance?

3) Are there any rumblings/possibilities that Optometry Schools might suddenly close the grade replacement window as well (sorry, but I'm just too scarred after what DO schools did - I was really counting on grade replacement)?

Thank you very much in advance to all who answer; I really appreciate any help or advice I can get right now.

1.) This honestly depends on the school as each of them have totally different processes of in terms of looking at applicants during the admissions process. A lot of school will state a “minimum” GPA/OAT score that will make an applicant considered to be “competitve”. This usually means that if you are relatively close to the minimum, you would be likely eligible to receive an interview. The scores/GPA just indicate whether or not you are capable of doing well in the demanding courseloads you will be recieving. Some schools will look at your application and if you are a below that minimum they will usually put your application on hold and ask for you retake or OAT or try to raise your GPA.

2.) You need to research all the schools you’re interested in to see their respective “minimum” GPAs and OAT scores. It is not concrete but for most schools they usually recommend having a minimum overall GPA of a 3.0 and OAT scores of 300.

3.) It is again something that you should reach out to admissions offices to answer that question for you.

Hope that gives you some insight.