Optometry schools REQUIRING Committee Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asap123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So unfortunately I missed the 2011 application cycle with my base school. If I go through my committee, than I would have to wait until the 2012 cycle year to get into an Opt. school. I know that it looks bad on an applicant when their school has a prehealth advisor and they Don't go through a committee for evalaution.

Here is my question........Out of the 20 Optometry schools, which ones REQUIRE a committee letter and which ones don't?

I'm going solo here and any help would be nice right about now:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think any of them REALLY do anymore, do they? I certainly didn't apply to all the schools, so I guess I don't REALLY know. But I'm certain that SCCO, PUCO, SCO, AZCOPT, UCB don't require committee letters. I think committees like that are becoming less and less common. I have a feeling that most schools would be happy to see a strong, personal letter from a professor than a generic one from a committee. I might have seen a few times where they ask for a committee letter, but if there is no committee, another letter from a professor will do. They probably don't do the background work on your school to see if there's a committee there.

Excellent!

Thank you....

Of course, there are both Advantages AND Disadvantages of using or not using a committee at your undergrad base school.

Members don't see this ad :)
u dont have to go through a committee..

Why would you have to wait until 2012 to apply with a committee letter?

Hey Everyone,

So unfortunately I missed the 2011 application cycle with my base school. If I go through my committee, than I would have to wait until the 2012 cycle year to get into an Opt. school. I know that it looks bad on an applicant when their school has a prehealth advisor and they Don't go through a committee for evalaution.

Here is my question........Out of the 20 Optometry schools, which ones REQUIRE a committee letter and which ones don't?

I'm going solo here and any help would be nice right about now:confused:

Actually, I don't think it does. My school has a pre-health committee and I didn't go through one for rec letters. It makes more sense to me to have your rec letters come from people who know you pretty well (i.e. a professor that you researched for or came to many office hours, employer, optometrist you shadowed, etc.). As far as I know (or think), there are some schools that require you to have at least one rec letter from an optometrist, but not a pre-health committee.