Optometry??

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by Pathologist, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everybody! I'm just a freshman in undergrad. I'm pretty sure I want to go to med school, but I've been exploring different medical careers. I was wondering if someone could give me the basics on optometry (Procedures they can do, how much schooling, residency, salary, optometry schools??). Also, does anyone know a website that lists all of the optometry schools and websites for them? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. andy33

andy33 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

There is a very good site on optometry. I believe the address is www.opted.org - it lists all of the schools of optometry in the US and Canada and the entrance requirements and average GPA of the entering classes for each school, as well as some other information. The last I read, the average salary for optometrists was around $92,000. Optometrists are actually allowed to do more now than they used to. They can actually treat conditions instead of referring them all of the time and some even do minor eye surgery. There is a lot of debate at the present time about optometrists doing major eye surgery, and though it isn't happening right now, it is definitely a possibility for the future.

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. drbizzaro

drbizzaro Varilux/Essilor Advocate
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    procedures range from refraction (finding out your spectacle prescription) to ocular eye disease assessment (ie. glaucoma management)

6. xmattODx

xmattODx Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I hope that the OP had his/her question answered long before today... seeing as how they asked it four years ago!