Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centrum

SMILEY KING
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious if anyone has information on Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology? After dental school is it simply a residency that you match into? How competitive is this residency? I would really appreciate any help! As always, thank you.

-Centrum :)

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what little info I have:

It's not ultracompetitive for a vairety fo reasons that I don't fully understand but the best place to look is by doing a google search on it and various programs. There's not too many that I know of but each program's site lists its reqs and other info. I'd start at www.aaomp.org. The various progs aren't listed in the ASDA book though which I found strange so you're pretty much relegated to the web. Incidentally I'm kinda interested path as well but since I'm only a D1 I've got aways to go. Best of luck

Thanks a lot Blue Tooth. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Centrum - yes, this is a specialty you would match into. The ASDA book of specialties lists 13 programs around the country. It isn't too competitive, with acceptance:applicant ratios given between 1:3 to 1:8 for each program. This specialty is kinda an academic one, in that you wouldn't exactly set up a private office next to the periodontist and orthodontist. Since you don't have a private office, it's not an instant money maker like the other specialties so it's not as popular (at least this is what an oral pathologist at school told me). Many times the oral pathologists work at and are affiliated with a dental school or maybe a hospital. However, they are a key part of denitstry. They diagnose some pretty cool stuff and oral path is probably one of the most important classes you will take in dental school that you use on a daily basis with all your patients, regardless of whether you are a general dentist or an endodontist.

Thanks Griff. With all of the advances in the reationships between oral disease and overall health, Oral pathology and research is something I really want to look into. I wouldn't like to do it full time, because I want to have a general practice, but I think it would be very interesting and fufilling.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/dental_chat.html

Dr. Timothy Rose at 3:40pm ET
I believe that dentistry has a very bright future, even though tradtional disease patterns in the American public are changing. New and exciting areas are being developed. The most exciting area will deal with the inter-relationship between oral disease and the patients systemic health. Current research would seem to indicate that many of the bacteria found in oral infections may, in some way, contribute to systemic contidions such as cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease, low birth-weight infants and premature birth, osteoporsis, diabetes, and several other chronic degenerative diseases. If these linkages are defined, the scope of dental practice will change dramatically and the relationship between oral and systemic disease will require more professional care on the part of the dentist, rather than less.