Oral And Maxillofacial Radiology Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taste buds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting this thread to put your views about Maxillofacial Radiology Future. Residents can post study materials, talk about different cases, inshort anything you guys want to talk about oral and maxillofacial radiology

Members don't see this ad.

“Academic chairs are many, but wise and noble teachers are few; lecture-rooms are numerous and large, but the number of young people who genuinely thirst after truth and justice is small.

So you can tell me whats happening in your Radiology Depatment

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to find some information about this specialty. There are only 6 schools in North America which offer this specialty. I guess for academic job there should be very good chance. But beyond that I am not sure how different options will be available after graduation.

I am trying to find some information about this specialty. There are only 6 schools in North America which offer this specialty. I guess for academic job there should be very good chance. But beyond that I am not sure how different options will be available after graduation.

Thats because most institutions and hospitals have "Radiologists" already and the need for Oral Maxillofacial Radiology is not immense unless employed by a dental school.

Are you guys noticing the advanced technologies that was only predominately used in medical is being used in dental field now... like cone bean ct. What do you guys think about it in another 5-10 yrs

Are you guys noticing the advanced technologies that was only predominately used in medical is being used in dental field now... like cone bean ct. What do you guys think about it in another 5-10 yrs

I'm afraid that 'standard of care' will require me to consult with a OMFR in order to place my implant.

I'm afraid that 'standard of care' will require me to consult with a OMFR in order to place my implant.

I don't think that you will have to consult with a OMFR, but I do believe that it will become the standard of care to have to purchase an in-office CBCT system (or use a close neighboring dentist's/OMFS's/OMFR's) in order to generate surgical guides. The only thing I don't know is how much this added overhead from the CBCT and the surgical guide will add to the cost that will be passed onto the consumer. It would be impossible for the price of implants not to stay steady or go up due to the increased overhead.

But I guess plenty of people are already using CBCT for their implants and are getting by just fine so it can't be that big of a problem.

I don't think that you will have to consult with a OMFR, but I do believe that it will become the standard of care to have to purchase an in-office CBCT system (or use a close neighboring dentist's/OMFS's/OMFR's) in order to generate surgical guides. The only thing I don't know is how much this added overhead from the CBCT and the surgical guide will add to the cost that will be passed onto the consumer. It would be impossible for the price of implants not to stay steady or go up due to the increased overhead.

But I guess plenty of people are already using CBCT for their implants and are getting by just fine so it can't be that big of a problem.

The radiology prof at my school once said that practitioners in some states cant buy cone beam cts without some sort of special licensure. Anyone know if thats true?