Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteningStrike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently taken interest in pursuing a residency in oral and maxillofacial radiology. I have been searching online for more information about the outlook/job prospects for an oral radiologist, but the information is somewhat limited. I have seen that most go into academics but there are some that have their own business (mainly online) that do mostly readings/reports for CBCTs and MRIs.

I have also reached out to the oral radiologist at my school and he gave me very positive information about the field. He basically works at the school, has his own online company, and goes to other offices to teach providers how to use their CBCT machines for surgical cases. However, I would like to hear what others have heard/know especially from any other current practicing oral and maxillofacial radiologists.

Note: Radiology has been an interest of mine even before starting dental school as I used to volunteer in the radiology department at my local hospital (I know general radiology is different from oral and maxillofacial radiology lol). I graduated in 2020 and have been practicing at a private practice this past year. However, I am not too happy practicing as a general dentist and thought about pursuing this residency.

Thank you for all your info.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have recently taken interest in pursuing a residency in oral and maxillofacial radiology. I have been searching online for more information about the outlook/job prospects for an oral radiologist, but the information is somewhat limited. I have seen that most go into academics but there are some that have their own business (mainly online) that do mostly readings/reports for CBCTs and MRIs.

I have also reached out to the oral radiologist at my school and he gave me very positive information about the field. He basically works at the school, has his own online company, and goes to other offices to teach providers how to use their CBCT machines for surgical cases. However, I would like to hear what others have heard/know especially from any other current practicing oral and maxillofacial radiologists.

Note: Radiology has been an interest of mine even before starting dental school as I used to volunteer in the radiology department at my local hospital (I know general radiology is different from oral and maxillofacial radiology lol). I graduated in 2020 and have been practicing at a private practice this past year. However, I am not too happy practicing as a general dentist and thought about pursuing this residency.

Thank you for all your info.

Hello,

I am second year oral and maxillofacial radiologist at UF. Happy to answer any questions you have.

We’re accepting applications for the program and currently interviewing.

Yes most of us go to private radiology practice with corporate companies or gather dental offices for pay per FOV CBCT.
Academics is great too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am second year oral and maxillofacial radiologist at UF. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Yes most of us go to private radiology practice with corporate companies or gather dental offices for pay per FOV CBCT.
Academics is great too.
Can I message you a few quetions?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are salaries like for this field?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

Academics is great too.
Can I ask how you're liking the specialty? Also, do you happen to know what salaries look like working in private office vs academics? Thank you!

Hello,

Academics is great too.
Hi Dantsafrakho,

I've been some research into OMF radiology, particularly the program at UF, and I was hoping to ask you a couple questions.
If you could, do you mind sending me a PM? I tried sending you one, but your profile has restrictions that prevented me from doing so.

Thank you!

Hi Dantsafrakho,

I've been some research into OMF radiology, particularly the program at UF, and I was hoping to ask you a couple questions.
If you could, do you mind sending me a PM? I tried sending you one, but your profile has restrictions that prevented me from doing so.

Thank you!

Sent you a PM.