Oral and Maxillofacial Residency Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as a note, I looked for a similar thread and couldn't find one - sorry if I missed it!

I am an undergraduate student and I would like to be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (yes, I have shadowed many of them!). That being said, I was wondering if anyone knows the percentage of people that apply for residencies in OMS and that actually get in.

In terms of having a career, OMS ranks as my number one, however GP Dentist is not my number two. Should I take a risk, apply to dental school, hope I get a OMS residency, or settle and go after my number two choice (one that I know that I am confident I can achieve)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely missed it. There are lots of threads on this. Just search "OMFS" and you'll find em.

To answer your question:
OMFS is super competitive to get into, but certainly doable. I am similar to you in that I went to dental school to be an Oral Surgeon. I never intended on being a General Dentist and feel stronger now than ever about that.

If OMFS is your career goal then just go for it. I personally feel like if you want it bad enough then you'll get in.

Bottom Line: If you want to be an OMFS, don't let the fact that it is difficult to get in discourage you from doing it. Set your sites on your prize... and go.

Agent Michael Scarn

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to catch a lot of heat from people for having aspirations of specializing before starting dental school, but I think it's it's admirable (If you're serious about it, which you seem to be). If you're thinking of trying for OMFS, I'd make yourself more comfortable with other careers within dentistry as a backup (General dentistry, perio, etc...) because OMFS is a very competitive field. I also feel that if you're dedicated you'll do just fine though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the requirements for most programs, you have to be in the 90th percentile of your class and get 90+ on your boards as bare minimum requirements. In my class of 100, that would mean I would have to be in the top 10 to be considered. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm going to do whatever necessary to go for OMFS. Just don't get to dental school and tell everyone you want to go into OMFS until after second year. Just say "I'm keeping my options open"... Don't want to come off as a db.

You do not have to be in the top 10% of your class nor do you have to have a 90+ on the boards. Although it certainly helps. Several programs request that applicants be in the top 10% and have 90+ on the boards, but even more programs do not have the requirement. In fact, the boards will be pass fail by the time you guys take them anyways. That being said, there will likely be another measurement for specialty applicants by then...

Just don't get to dental school and tell everyone you want to go into OMFS until after second year

So is this just an ego thing? Because I start dental school in June and I've talked to a couple of my friends that are both first year residents (one in OMFS, the other in ortho) and they both said don't tell anyone that you want to specialize until after your first year. My uncle is a practicing OMFS and he says the same thing.

So what does this boil down to? Do most people think you're arrogant/cocky for knowing you want to do a certain specialty? I have numerous friends in medical school and I have never heard them talk about an issue such as this... so what if you know what you want to do?

Last edited:
So is this just an ego thing? Because I start dental school in June and I've talked to a couple of my friends that are both first year residents (one in OMFS, the other in ortho) and they both said don't tell anyone that you want to specialize until after your first year. My uncle is a practicing OMFS and he says the same thing.

So what does this boil down to? Do most people think you're arrogant/cocky for knowing you want to do a certain specialty? I have numerous friends in medical school and I have never heard them talk about an issue such as this... so what if you know what you want to do?

knowing what to do is not the same as doing what you have to do

knowing what to do is not the same as doing what you have to do

all I'm saying is that I find it odd that people get ridiculed for wanting to specialize... do you not?

the majority of dental students are more than happy to be in dental school and look forward to getting out and practicing general dentistry. why would anyone care what somebody else wants to do after school?

all I'm saying is that I find it odd that people get ridiculed for wanting to specialize... do you not?

the majority of dental students are more than happy to be in dental school and look forward to getting out and practicing general dentistry. why would anyone care what somebody else wants to do after school?

personally, I find it admirable more so if it was obtained.

personally, I find it admirable more so if it was obtained.

agreed. Also if you say that you're going to OMFS first day of orientation there are crazy competitive people that will be gunning for you the next four years. I'm sure you know the types. Or maybe you are one of these people? who knows. who cares. It all comes down to can you walk the walk. Walk first, talk later.

MaxillofacialMN ~

I have a few friends in med school / dental school and they all tell me the same thing: "whatever you decide on (specialty wize) before dental/medical school will most likely change by time you get to your 2nd/3rd years"

so what you like today about dentistry (OMFS) really might change later down the road. I remember watching my sister push her way through dental school, If I remember correctly, she graduated back in 2000 and she was ranked 3rd in her class but man, she has no life. She is a perfect example of a study-a-holic. I used to remember sometimes waking up in the middle of the night 2AM/3AM to go pee and I would see the light was still on from under her door. She used to spend most of her day AND NIGHT studying to be in the top spot..... After she finished dentistry and started working as a GP for a few years, I came and asked her "Eva are you ever going back to specialize in anything? you were ranked 3rd with a 97 on your step 1"..... she goes (paraphrasing here) "are you crazy? I don't ever wanna go through any more schooling"..... Point is, you might change your mind after dental school

MaxillofacialMN ~

I have a few friends in med school / dental school and they all tell me the same thing: "whatever you decide on (specialty wize) before dental/medical school will most likely change by time you get to your 2nd/3rd years"

so what you like today about dentistry (OMFS) really might change later down the road. I remember watching my sister push her way through dental school, If I remember correctly, she graduated back in 2000 and she was ranked 3rd in her class but man, she has no life. She is a perfect example of a study-a-holic. I used to remember sometimes waking up in the middle of the night 2AM/3AM to go pee and I would see the light was still on from under her door. She used to spend most of her day AND NIGHT studying to be in the top spot..... After she finished dentistry and started working as a GP for a few years, I came and asked her "Eva are you ever going back to specialize in anything? you were ranked 3rd with a 97 on your step 1"..... she goes (paraphrasing here) "are you crazy? I don't ever wanna go through any more schooling"..... Point is, you might change your mind after dental school

Thanks! I know a lot of people say that they change their mind, but I also know that I should pursue what I want to do now. I'll probably try to go the dental school route and check my options once I'm actually in! Thanks again!

Or better yet, go through all four (at least three) years without telling anyone you want to specialze or even how well you've done in your classes (aka don't tell everyone you're XX in the class). Then at the end, you'll just be the hard-working guy that everyone likes, even the professors. Then specialty professors or other students won't be mad at what you choose to do and no one will be riding your back all four years to make you fall out of your spot. It's a glass ceiling. Then, even if you change your mind about specializing, you won't have to worry because you won't have offended anyone. Just my take.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to bump an old thread but isn't it hard to "hide" the fact that you want to specialize when you need to talk to and get involved/volunteer at the respective specialty clinics? wouldn't people notice? and don't people normally start doing this in d1?

What should we be doing as a d1? just focus our efforts entirely on making grades? and what if your school is h/p/f? if you don't honor in anything after d1 = say goodbye to specializing?

good thread, and in reality a mix of all things mentioned will happen. Lies will come out and all kinds of hate will spread. The most important thing is go to a place where you have a lot of common things with others. Definitely dont give out info, but then meanwhile you need to do things that will reveal your goals. Just pray not many enemies try to knock you out. Be strong and go for it; OMFS is the best thing to do with your life. :thumbup:

Don't jump at shadows. Just because you express an interest in OMS won't mean people are going to be lurking behind corners at every turn waiting for you to expose your vital organs for attack.

Unless you're at some kind of ridiculous gunner school, I think it's fine to admit you have an interest in OMS. Join the 'OMS Club' or whatever your school has and encourage any of your classmates with similar interests to do the same. You're all going to have a better chance if you support each other than if you turn in it to an internal competition. Compete with everyone else, not amongst yourselves.

To hide the fact that I wanted to do OMFS I also joined the perio plastic surgery club.

I 'came out of the closet' my second/third year, even though a few of my study buddies with similar interests knew.
I made it a point not to discuss future plans with faculty (except OMFS) until I matched. Most were surprised...I think they saw how awful a clinician I was, and it made them wonder that I would be the one going into surgery.

This 'Flying under the radar' advice you get from a lot of people also adds to its credibility.

thanks for the advice guys. so when did you all introduce yourselves to the omfs faculty and start spending free time there? and what EC's did you pick up during D1 aside from joining clubs?

Don't jump at shadows. Just because you express an interest in OMS won't mean people are going to be lurking behind corners at every turn waiting for you to expose your vital organs for attack.

Unless you're at some kind of ridiculous gunner school, I think it's fine to admit you have an interest in OMS. Join the 'OMS Club' or whatever your school has and encourage any of your classmates with similar interests to do the same. You're all going to have a better chance if you support each other than if you turn in it to an internal competition. Compete with everyone else, not amongst yourselves.

:thumbup:

good thread, and in reality a mix of all things mentioned will happen. Lies will come out and all kinds of hate will spread. The most important thing is go to a place where you have a lot of common things with others. Definitely dont give out info, but then meanwhile you need to do things that will reveal your goals. Just pray not many enemies try to knock you out. Be strong and go for it; OMFS is the best thing to do with your life. :thumbup:

jeeze what school do you go to?

op just work hard, be guinuine in your interest, but also be open to the other aspects of dentistry. :)

You sound like a gunner, because you're projecting a lot of gunner thoughts onto other people.

Tell different people each week that you are going into a different specialty. Change it around to keep everyone confused. Just stare and smile at people if they try to call you out on it. Start out with oral medicine.

Dental world

Last edited:
P/F schools are better in this regard.

Last edited:
Penn, it is like that here. Where do you go? Anywhere with grading system is like this. P/F schools are better in this regard.

Penn doesn't have gunners, their students play fake characters on the bachelor and the bachelorette.
:cool:

Could you please explain a bit about what you mean by gunner thoughts ?

Oh, sorry. I just meant the whole hiding your intentions because everyone is out to get you. It sounded like something a gunner would think to justify his own unsavory actions.

But I was making a big mental leap here and I actually shouldn't have said anything, because I don't know how it really is at your school :oops:.

charmm is fibbin. read his other posts and it's clear he's at columbia. gunnin no doubt :poke:

what makes you think that account was hacked?

unless you and charmm are the same person :rolleyes:

yo charmm admit that it was funny, I deleted the stuff. No hard fillings

Last edited:
charmm is fibbin. read his other posts and it's clear he's at columbia. gunnin no doubt :poke:

Says the guy who is in FIRST YEAR OF DENTAL SCHOOL AND IS STUDYING FOR NBME FROM NOW!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=790131

You think you can hide in a class of 80? Watch out wise guy. You talksh**t about columbia? the school you go to?

@ OP, watch out for people like MRSA, they talk this and that about gunning and all, yet they are studying for NBME a test that may be used may not from the first year of dental school. Thanks 1992Corolla for giving honest advice, schools are filled with hypocrites like MRSA

Last edited:
Says the guy who is in FIRST YEAR OF DENTAL SCHOOL AND IS STUDYING FOR NBME FROM NOW!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=790131

You think you can hide in a class of 80? Watch out wise guy. You talksh**t about columbia? the school you go to?

@ OP, watch out for people like MRSA, they talk this and that about gunning and all, yet they are studying for NBME a test that may be used may not from the first year of dental school. Thanks 1992Corolla for giving honest advice, schools are filled with hypocrites like MRSA

i'll continue to let you think i attend columbia :cool:

there is a difference between seeking out good information from our medical colleagues / working hard academically for one's own personal and professional enrichment and gunning (which some might describe as borderline neuroticism thinking that everyone is "out to get you", which could, for example, be manifested by saying things like "watch out wise guy", or "think you can hide", or "Lies will come out and all kinds of hate will spread", or "pray not many enemies try to knock you out", extreme forms of which are diagnosed as gunnerrhea. that, my friend, is gunning.).

Here is a lesson for you: contribute to the thread, but mind mind your own business. Keep it civilized. Study cardio now.

i'll continue to let you think i attend columbia :cool:

there is a difference between seeking out good information from our medical colleagues / working hard academically for one's own personal and professional enrichment and gunning (which some might describe as borderline neuroticism thinking that everyone is "out to get you", which could, for example, be manifested by saying things like "watch out wise guy", or "think you can hide", or "Lies will come out and all kinds of hate will spread", or "pray not many enemies try to knock you out", extreme forms of which are diagnosed as gunnerrhea. that, my friend, is gunning.).

According to my friends at few schools with grading systems, A,B,C,( I dont mention which schools to avoid further arguments) some people are like that. I go to a H/P/F school and I dont see that in mine. I hope that other schools are like that too. I think for someone like OP, it is better to be cautious at the beginning. After a while he/she will know the people around him and will know how to go on from there. My 2 cents

Sick of h/p/f. Usually you try for an A and barely miss, you get a B+. You try for an H and barely miss, you get a P

Sick of h/p/f. Usually you try for an A and barely miss, you get a B+. You try for an H and barely miss, you get a P

well said, I think the reason is either grading should be A,B,C or P/F,
H/P/F is just somewhere in between. All the work will go down the drain if you are 1% bellow honors.

well said, I think the reason is either grading should be A,B,C or P/F,
H/P/F is just somewhere in between. All the work will go down the drain if you are 1% bellow honors.

"+s/-s" to "without "+s/-s" is the same as A/B/Cs is to H/P/F
just my opinion.

"+s/-s" to "without "+s/-s" is the same as A/B/Cs is to H/P/F
just my opinion.

We had no plus (+) grades. If you studied hard and got nailed on one test or quiz...getting an 89.4% then you got a B, just like the guy who gets an 79.6%. (rounded up) to a B.

So you studied for the 100%

Why hide it?! It's not something shameful. Just mean that you are delicated. The thing is, if you want to do OMFS, then you probably not going to like general dentistry. The OMFS personality is just very different from gen dentistry personality. Just need to be hard-core...and that's not something to be ashamed of.

Why hide it?! It's not something shameful. Just mean that you are delicated. The thing is, if you want to do OMFS, then you probably not going to like general dentistry. The OMFS personality is just very different from gen dentistry personality. Just need to be hard-core...and that's not something to be ashamed of.

I disagree on the basis of personal experience. I would have been happy doing general dentistry, just not as happy as doing OMS. I also don't think the "OMS personality" represents the majority of people in OMS.