Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and Periodontal Plastic Surgeons

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by Dr. Dai Phan, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Dr. Dai Phan

Dr. Dai Phan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    All,

Let's keep the discussion going... DP

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wayne Coronado

Wayne Coronado Edentulistic Savant
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hope the sequel can live up to the first installment. Raw, suspenseful entertainment that was grippingly educational (movie announcer guy voice). :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think a more productive topic would be how Periodontists handle NOMA.

5. prechilill

prechilill Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

"I think a more productive topic would be how Periodontists handle NOMA."

Most dentists, and probably a majority of the general public, know that oral surgeons handle most biopsies and aggressive oral pathology.

6. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Mah diddy shoots dawgs what come in the yard.

7. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    You'd be astonished at what the general public doesn't know.

8. Dr. Dai Phan

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you are a dentist the public thinks that all you do is drill, fill, root canal, extraction and cleaning. If you are a MD/DO then they think you treat everything from A to Z in the body. I guarantee you 99% of the public will be very suprised if you tell them the procedures that OS do. Last night at dinner with my friends, when I told them about inserting maxiilofacial prosthesis after tumor resection in the OR, they asked me " but I thought you are a dentist?" It's like "what are you doing in the OR? I thought only doctors go in there?" DP

9. REGENR8R

REGENR8R Perio Resident
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, can we handle more of this topic?

Someone in the other thread asked me about papilla regeneration. The best way to regenerate the papilla is never to loose it in the first place. We haven't yet found a predictable way to correct the dreaded black triangle.

It's funny, most articles I read on different techniques "claim" success, but if you look at their photos, they really fixed it with long contacts on overcontoured restorations.

The injection of cultured autologous fibroblasts holds promise (See McGuire JPerio last month), but results are underwhelming in the early studies.

Just keep the key numbers in mind for predictable papilla presence (Distance from crest of bone to contact point) and you should be safe:

Tooth to Tooth = 5mm
    Tooth to implant = 4mm
    Implant to implant = 3.4mm
    Tooth to pontic = ~6.5mm

Gives good reason to avoid placing 2 implants next to each other in the esthetic zone at all costs.

Nick.

10. OMFSZADE

OMFSZADE Health practitioner
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks Nick !

11. wizziefiend

wizziefiend Guest

Dental Student
    Awesome! I keep having to tell my premed classmates that "yes, I am going to dental school and I will be a REAL doctor".

It's great that dentists like yourself take the time to build up your knowledge and skills so that one day dentists will be "real" doctors according to the public.

I haven't been able to find any prosthodontists in town that do maxillofacial prosthesis...so no shadowing for me. They all do the "normal" things one would think they do.

12. Dr. Dai Phan

Dentist
    Two months ago, I gave a lecture to a group of general dentists on how to treat TMJ, sleep apnea through the use prosthetic appliances as well as doing maxillofacial prosthodontics procedures. The next one I will do is in Prescott, AZ in December of this year. Perhaps you can go there and see that you can do these cases without having to refer out and thus pocket the money. Also not to mention the hassle you save for your patients. Regarding the public thinking about dentistry... It is not going to change. Drill fill extractions and root canals... Remember the Seinfield show? His dentist was viewed as socially inept, professionally incompetent and second rated health care provider. Infact, I was offended by the show. Some people think that dentists become who they are because they can't get into med school. At the end of the show, Sienfield asked " what do you call a doctor who flunked out of med school?" - " a dentist!". I can't ever recall a TV show or a movie that portrays dentistry in a good image. I still remember a movie where Steve Martin plays a dentist and when he came to his girlfriend house trying to win her back, he said something like: " I am nobody, I am just a dentist..." DP

13. REGENR8R

REGENR8R Perio Resident
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Who cares? Dentistry is a great profession. Any jackass who goes around saying dentists are not doctors needs to go back and lookup the definition of "doctor".

The term comes from the latin for "teacher".....which means anyone who holds the title of "doctor" means that they know their area of expertise so well that they are authorized to teach it to others (other dentists, or to patients).

I challenge you to find a "real doctor" (ie and MD/DO) who knows jack about the oral environment.....it's not just something you look past to check the tonsils.

We're starting to get the medical community to come around....thanks to periodontists and research in periodontal medicine. See Tonetti, etal in last month's NE Journal of Medicine. The future is bright.

14. OMFSdoc

OMFSdoc Member
    5+ Year Member

This is a useless thread. Just thought you all wanted to know what I was thinking while reading it. Useless.

15. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

Time to get new friends.

16. EuroOMFS

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What do you mean?! I´m a big Seinfeld fan and I´ve never thought of the show as showing the dental profession in a demeaning manner. It shows Dr. Whatley in a demeaning manner. He is, just like most other characters in Seinfeld, a man of low moral standards, but that has nothing to do with him being a dentist. He just happens to be one.

That joke about doctors flunking med school is just a joke. A funny one. Lighten up!:D

17. REGENR8R

REGENR8R Perio Resident
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't you remember what the dentist sitting in front of Jerry told himwhen he was bashing dentists at a wedding?:

"If this wasn't my daughter's wedding, I'd knock your teeth out, you anti-dentite bastard!" :laugh:

18. 2th_DK

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i used to laugh at that joke...until i got into dental school....but now...well, it's still funny...hehehe

19. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dr. Dai Phan,
    Can you make one of these for me?

http://www.nawtythings.com/formen3b.html#female

I would like Jessica Alba's lips but I'll settle for Rosie Odonell if I must.

20. Doggie

10+ Year Member

I would also like one in the shape of flat4's lips.

21. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    .....to remind you of those fond evenings in the call room?

22. flat4

flat4 Mullet Redesigner
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  23. GoGatorsDMD

GoGatorsDMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Haha. I imagine what it would be like to be the factory worker standing on the assembly line for those, inspecting for defects, loading them into boxes, etc

24. Dr. Dai Phan

Dentist

You will be very suprised of what I was asked to make from my friends ranging from an extra ear to penile lengthening (to impress his GF?) . I once did an extra finger for a friend so he can wear it in the bar to freak people out. Regarding the "manhood" stuff, I declined since I couldn't get pass the stage of getting the initial impression. DP

25. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    DP, You directed my Occlusion class 4 years ago before you went to Arizona. Remember the big Red-Headed guy that sat up front and polished his waxups with a purple G-string??? Well, a couple of years after you left he went into the 4th floor clinic restroom and took an "Anatomically correct" alginate impression of his 'Twig and Berries'. Then he poured it up in Silky Rock and made it into a Paperweight. He gave it to another faculty member as a going away gift.

Moral of the Story: Don't shy away from 'Below the Belt' Impressions. They can be very useful, and rewarding!

26. Dr. Dai Phan

Dentist
    Was it a male or female faculty that he gave it to? Regarding "below the belt" impressions, guys please send me the models, others get in line. DP

27. Doggie

10+ Year Member

You could probably work in the movie's special effects industry. I wonder what courses those guys have to take to do all those cool makeups, etc.

28. Dr. Dai Phan

Dentist
    There is no way I can compete with these make up artist people. They may make wonderful facial prosthesis but making them functional is completely a different thing (like midface prosthesis through the maxillary sinus connected with obturator and soft palatal extension). That seperates a technician from a dentist. In fact there was an outstanding maxillofacial technician that almost pass out when I showed her a patient with entire haft face missing. When she saw the toungue moving through the orbit she freaked out! DP