Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency w/ M.D. possible in the Army?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goliard

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the Army residency program in OMFS is it possible to obtain a MD degree? I have heard that MCG in Georgia offered a semi-correspondence MD degree for Army OMFS residents, however I not seen any indication of this online. Is there anything like this so that you can do the Md while in the military? Also, does anyone know if you can go back and do the md degree after you have completed your OMFS residency in three years (2 in school 1 intern year), or less in the US?
I really would like to do the Army OMFS residency however for how I would like to tailor my practice having the MD degree would simplify things.
I wish the Army still offered the combined program.

Members don't see this ad.

Not even Crickets.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the Army residency program in OMFS is it possible to obtain a MD degree? I have heard that MCG in Georgia offered a semi-correspondence MD degree for Army OMFS residents, however I not seen any indication of this online. Is there anything like this so that you can do the Md while in the military? Also, does anyone know if you can go back and do the md degree after you have completed your OMFS residency in three years (2 in school 1 intern year), or less in the US?
I really would like to do the Army OMFS residency however for how I would like to tailor my practice having the MD degree would simplify things.
I wish the Army still offered the combined program.

no, it is not possible to get the M.D. while doing an army oms program. MCG does not offer the M.D., as far as i know, it only has programs for perio and endo to get their MS in oral biology.

not sure about going back to school to get the M.D. after you are done with the army, but i highly doubt it. you will have to spend at least four years in the army after completing the oms residency before being allowed to do that. i'm sure it would be varied from school to school, but i would bet there aren't any that would let you. i know umkc would not.

I have to agree with UMKCDDS. In my opinion, I think it would be easier to have applied to med school in the first place. Given that is, monday morning quaterbacking, you could always apply to med school if you are currently a dental student. I have heard of people doing this and that it was a real headache, but it is impossible. Ask Garnett and the Celtics, Anything's is Possible!!

if you go to medical school first, you cannot become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon unless you go through all four years of dental school, then do the four-year OMS residency after that (12 years of school total).

if you go to medical school first, you cannot become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon unless you go through all four years of dental school, then do the four-year OMS residency after that (12 years of school total).

hi, I'm studying dental in nepal (five and half year course). I want to become maxillofacial surgeon and join army. Is it possible for me, please help me with the procedure if it is possible.

hi, I'm studying dental in nepal (five and half year course). I want to become maxillofacial surgeon and join army. Is it possible for me, please help me with the procedure if it is possible.

i wouldn't have any idea where you would need to start, as a non-u.s. citizen.

Me likey your little signature thingy, umkcdds. Methinks I will display it gloriously via cotton t-shirt. We could be t-shirt buddies and piss off liberals in two states!

I can tell you from personal experience that the dual degree (MD - DDS) Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons are the future. For the additional 2 years, you become a bonafide Medical Doctor who can then jump into other medical specialities. You will also be considered a true "peer" by the medical staff at hospitals and medical centers.

Why do a four year residency that leaves you branded as a Dentist?

a surgeon would be an officer and, by law, officers have to be US citizens. you have a very long road ahead of you, if you choose to pursue OMFS and a career as a US Army officer.

I can tell you from personal experience that the dual degree (MD - DDS) Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons are the future. For the additional 2 years, you become a bonafide Medical Doctor who can then jump into other medical specialities. You will also be considered a true "peer" by the medical staff at hospitals and medical centers.

Why do a four year residency that leaves you branded as a Dentist?

this is ridiculous. i have never heard anyone who knows what they are talking about refer to an OMFS as 'a dentist'. in all my experience in hopsitals, on rotations with residents and attendings alike, as well as a staff dental officer, i have never seen medical staff treat dentists and oral surgeons with anything other than professional courtesy and respect.

i dont doubt that there are MDs out there who look down their noses at dentists, but those same guys probably have some insecurity issues of their own. there is a whole younger generation of MDs and DDSs (or DMDs) that have gone to school together, worked side by side in training programs, and developed an appreciation for the unique difficulties of the other's profession. this will probably continue to develop as more research reveals the need for dentists to be oral physicians in addition to the traditional restorative role.

Not true. Many programs are developing 6 or 7-year combined DDS/OMFS programs. Even if not advertised... I know of at least a handful of US programs that consider MD applicants on a case by case basis for this. Columbia University also now even has a 3 year DDS program for MD graduates (even offered to overseas MDs) afterwhich you could apply for a regular 4 year OMFS residency. :thumbup: ..and of course, the potential to complete your dental degree in 3 years is already also available at UPacific.

Last edited:
a surgeon would be an officer and, by law, officers have to be US citizens. you have a very long road ahead of you, if you choose to pursue OMFS and a career as a US Army officer.

thankyou for your information.It means one should be a green card holder to pursue OMFS and a career as a US army officer.Isnt,t it?

There are few examples who have already travelled safely along the road. Therefor I will try too..... with non exhaustible fuel at a full speed.

sorry man. a green card wont cut it. you have to be a full US citizen in order to be eligible for an officer's commission.

this is ridiculous. i have never heard anyone who knows what they are talking about refer to an OMFS as 'a dentist'. in all my experience in hopsitals, on rotations with residents and attendings alike, as well as a staff dental officer, i have never seen medical staff treat dentists and oral surgeons with anything other than professional courtesy and respect.

i dont doubt that there are MDs out there who look down their noses at dentists, but those same guys probably have some insecurity issues of their own. there is a whole younger generation of MDs and DDSs (or DMDs) that have gone to school together, worked side by side in training programs, and developed an appreciation for the unique difficulties of the other's profession. this will probably continue to develop as more research reveals the need for dentists to be oral physicians in addition to the traditional restorative role.

I could not agree more!! The Dental Profession is currently under a transformation from "tooth technicians" to "oral physicians". We are becoming a "branch" of medicine (yes we will still be DDS/DMDs & not MD/DOs). I know I have to be careful with how I say this. :eek: Currently, the ADA is looking into making a Residency manditory for all Dentist just like the Medical World!! This would be fantastic...................................... The only problem is that this concept would delay the making of $.

SoonerFan