Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ford67

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i am interested in Oral Surgery as a future career. I was wondering how much they make and how many hours a week they work. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Oral surgery is long haul but the rewards are great. You must enjoy research and get ready to be in one of the most demading fields in all of medicine/dentistry.

To become an oral surgeon----I assume you probably know this----you need to complete 4 years of dental school. Be in the top 10 of you class (+/-) and have incredible board I scores. Not to mention a passion for reasearch throughout dental school and some great recommendations. Once you graduate --you then begin an incredibly rigorous 4 years of additional training. It consists of a demanding general surgical rotation for 2 years------where you are on call nearly every 3rd night (in some hospitals) and working 24-30hrs shifts is not uncommon. In addition you are normally a PhD candidate---so you will be working on research for you studies. Some Universities give an MD at the end of the 4 year curriculum---that should give you an idea of the demanding nature. Once you complete your 4 years of study/rotations you are now ready to be an OMS. Some individuals will further specialize in plastics, reconstuction etc...

The majority of OMS's I know work long hours. They are normally on call for trauma emerg. at the local hospital in addition to office hours. Others I know have more normal working hours ~45-50hrs a week. They are paid anywhere from $250-600,000 a yr. They need every penny for the large amount of debt they collect while accomplishing their goals. Especially since they aren't earning squat for 8 yrs!!!! I wish you the best of luck and hope this clears-up some things!

R.R.B