Oral board results back: bloodbath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dean9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Usually, there are about 50 people who fail the oral boards. One time, it was 39. The number taking it is fairly constant.

This time, 90 people failed. 90 out of 312. Never has it been 90 or 80 or 75 or 70 or 65. No matter how you look at it, it is significantly higher. Percentage wise, shear number, etc.

What a blood bath. There is much new suffering today.

-----------
If there are anybody of the 90 who want to take it in November and wants a study partner (mainly because your friends were not in the batch of 90), you may PM me and I would be happy to pair you up with me or others.

If you pm me, suggest mentioning your user name, time zone or general area of the US (most people study in the evening), and any comments. No need to reveal your name.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very sorry you are in this situation. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the consequences of failing the oral board?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen the numbers nor do I have any particular inside info, but one thing to consider is there are now foreign grads who are being allowed to take the Boards. Not sure of the numbers taking them and I doubt it would fully account for the increase you are quoting, but it may be some of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Very sorry you are in this situation. Pardon my ignorance, but what's the consequences of failing the oral board?
Relationship or family problems, hospital privileges, insurance participation, testimony during depositions and lawsuits. etc. There have been suicides directly related to the board results, unfortunately.

I haven't seen the numbers nor do I have any particular inside info, but one thing to consider is there are now foreign grads who are being allowed to take the Boards. Not sure of the numbers taking them and I doubt it would fully account for the increase you are quoting, but it may be some of it.
No effect. There is a pilot program to allow 25 such people to take the 2016 WQE and 25 to take the 2107 WQE so none of them would have finished the WQE in time for the June 2016 orals.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel awful for anyone that has failed this test. Trust me - I know know know how you feel (see previous post dated about nine months ago). Thankfully this go around I managed to pass.

I'm happy to share my experience/things I did differently this go around or just to provide a cyberspace shoulder to cry on. Please PM me if interested

Most importantly - take a week to absorb the blow. Cry, sulk, eat ice cream, work out, drink, etc. Then pick yourself up and move on. Look in the mirror and figure out what you need to improve upon so you can put this god forsaken process behind you. Because you will. It's one test. Failure WILL make you stronger. You are smart and capable. You are better than this test. You will get past this thing. I promise

PM if you need/want

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely do not believe that nearly 1/3rd of the mostly freshly trained Ophthalmologists taking their oral boards were not prepared to enter practice. This is absurd to me.

It is also absurd that my co-residents in every other specialty are taking their boards during their last year of training and I am forced to wait until a year after being out and in practice to become board certified.

Something is very fishy with the oral boards. Would like to hear the thoughts of others on this matter.

Reactions: 1 user
It is also absurd that my co-residents in every other specialty are taking their boards during their last year of training and I am forced to wait until a year after being out and in practice.

Most surgical specialties are this way as well as anesthesia, radiology(recent change), and emergency medicine among others probably.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app