Oral Board Review Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radgal

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good ABEM Oral Board Review Courses?

'Cause for us fresh attendings, it's Oral Boards time, baby!

When I say "good," I just mean a good course, not necessarily a good location (like Hawaii, Tampa, Hilton Head). The Ohio Board Review for the written exam was excellent, even though Columbus isn't exactly a vacation hot spot.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

RadGal

Members don't see this ad.

I took the course offered by SC College of Emergency Physicians. (In Vegas). It was short, to the point, and an excellent preparation for the boards.

www.theoralboardcourse.com

PS- I passed

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide about review course or not...didn't do one for the written. Anybody have experience with any of the one day courses? ICEP has one in Chicago and I think there's one in Vegas(PaACEP) and one in Ohio(OhACEP). I've used up all of my CME and this is a lot to chunk out all at once on a fellow's salary!

The Pa ACEP course is being offered on April 23-24. I'm taking the boards on April 30. Is this too close to the boards, do you think, to take a review course?

Which books did you study other than what the review course folks gave you? There seems to be a lot of guidance out there for the written boards, but I'm scared sh-itless by the orals!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RadGal

I thankfully don't have to worry about this until October, but I signed up for Illinois ACEP's course which is given at the Marriott where the boards are. I'm one of those people who likes to do the COMPLETE dry run.

I did the one day (about 6 hours) course in Dallas. Most of the guys were UT-southwest. They were really good. Short and sweet course with just what you needed to know.
They claimed nobody has failed that took their course. I don't know how official that claim is. I did fine but nobody has contacted me, so I doubt they contact others.

I took AAEM's orals course. It's expensive and intensive but it really did replicate the actual boards. After doing that there were no surprises in Chicago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick question - do you know how much it was? did you do the 2-day course AAEM offers? sorry but the info isnt yet posted on their website and i'm just looking at some options for the may exam. tks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick question - do you know how much it was? did you do the 2-day course AAEM offers? sorry but the info isnt yet posted on their website and i'm just looking at some options for the may exam. tks!

AAEM -- great course. As DocB says -- really simulates the boards. You know exactly what to expect by the time you get to chicago.

I think it's about $1200 for 2 day course. You do a ton of cases one on one -- in a hotel room, with the instructors acting just like the examiners. totally worth it if you think of all the money you've already put into your medical education and given how great the course is.

Other expenses are hotel/travel. AAEM offers it in 5 cities (philly, chicago, los angeles ... and 2 others though i'm not sure which ones.

the course fills up fast -- only 20 spots (40 in philly) so make sure you sign up fast if you're interested.

I took the Pa ACEP course in Las Vegas late April for the Oral exam a week or so later. I thought the timing was perfect. I did my studying of material before, during, (and a little after) the course and I thought it worked well. The course is NOT primarily meant to be a review of material, but rather a practice for the oral board itself. I did the two day version of the course which allowed me to do two complete "oral exams", one on each of the two days. They do a very good job of recreating the atmosphere, timing, mechanics, and administration of the exam. One week later when I took the exam there were no surprises and I felt well prepared.

They give a great framework for organizing your approach to the individual and multiple encounters that you will see. If you stick with their approach and stay organized, you will likely feel like you are very well prepared. Well worth the time and money.

-Highdesert

I took the dallas one day course as well. (cheaper than the AAEM course) No suprises and I did fine. I think its EMeds.

Had friends who took AAEM. Most felt that after the first day, they were more than prepared.

Realize that what these courses offer you is not information (you should already have all the info you need to do well) but practice. The oral boards are an awkward, wierd, bizarre format that requires that you practice it a little and get the 'tricks of the trade'. Hence a course.

Had friends who took AAEM. Most felt that after the first day, they were more than prepared.
True. My colleague and I took it together and he bailed on the second day. That probably had more to do with the activities of the night before but he still did fine. I clawed my way out of bed and down to the practice sessions and made it through the day on sheer will.
Realize that what these courses offer you is not information (you should already have all the info you need to do well) but practice. The oral boards are an awkward, wierd, bizarre format that requires that you practice it a little and get the 'tricks of the trade'. Hence a course.
Can't agree enough about how awkward, weird and bizarre the orals are. I hadn't taken a less medical medical test since Step I.

Can anyone give up any tricks to help with doing well?

For example during residency we have been doing oral boards cases. One aid is that we immediately create a form to remind us to do a full H+P etc. As part of that form we usually draw a modified stick figure to remind us of physical exam findings. I have taken to drawing a giant penis on the stick figure as a reminder to do a detailed GU/rectal/pelvis exam on all patients. We have done a couple of practice questions and it always seems that they try to hide something in the groin so that if you don't look you get burned.

I also recall that every patient needs IV, O2, Monitor and advanced airway cart to the bedside.

Anyone got any other tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
there are many tricks to the paper. you should pick one of them adn stick to it.

2. do not offer up any information that you are not directly asked for. ie if you get an ekg do NOT start rattling of an interpretation. Just say okay and only interpret it if you are asked.

3. Never let a consult not come in.

4. Make sure to talk to the patient and family if they are there.

5. Nothing gets done if you don't ask for it.

1. Ask for allergies before you give medications.
2. If you put some on the monitor, ask what the monitor shows. Otherwise, you can "put" someone on the monitor but if they're in v-tach they don't have to tel you.
3. if you ask for a consult or test and "they're not calling back" or "it's not available" you are missing something critical

there's a lot more...

the beauty of an oral board review course is that you get to practice all this. it's amazing what you'll forget when you are doing it in a simulated oral boards setting.

and just to point out the AAEM course, you rotate from room to room and it's just you and the "examiner". no one is observing, you're not sharing the time with other students, etc. you definitely get enough cases so that by the end of the 2nd day, you're happy to leave.

I did not take a course. I did LOTS of practice cases with friends that were also taking the exam. Also found some more experienced faculty to give me practice cases. The thing with the oral boards is you have to learn how to play the game. Yes its a game, not realistic at all. Practice is really key. You need to learn what you will forget in the unrealistic exam situation. Are you the one that forgets the accucheck in the change in MS or seizure, the preg test, etc. Will you forget to put the patient on the monitor, ask for an IV, ask to speak with the family? Will you remember to keep pushing when the examiner will not answer a question, like list of meds, etc ...call family, call pcp, call pharmacy...it may be intergral to the case.

Although you might do something automatically in the ED, the test is very different, you cant see the patient. Getting in a routine, using practice cases is key. I bought the Rivers oral board book. Although I wasnt overly impressed by the discusson of the cases (I actually disagreed with some of the management) it did provide cases for practice. I also found the cases to be more complicated then those on the exam. I was very nervous just about taking an oral exam but once I got started and fell into my routine I was fine.

The other thing is, if you are in a routine you can get a FULL exam in very quickly. And if you do a full exam on everyone you wont miss anything. Start general when asking for your exam....cardiac, pulm, abdominal, extremities, skin, etc. If they simply say normal, move on. If they ask what you are looking for on a particular part of an exam, simple ask what do I see, what do I feel when I palpate, what to I hear when I auscultate? A little trick I learned from a friend.

Last piece of advice. If you find you forget the preg, accucheck, etc: the second you walk in the room write it down with a blank and make sure you get an answer if indicated.

Can anyone give up any tricks to help with doing well?

For example during residency we have been doing oral boards cases. One aid is that we immediately create a form to remind us to do a full H+P etc. As part of that form we usually draw a modified stick figure to remind us of physical exam findings. I have taken to drawing a giant penis on the stick figure as a reminder to do a detailed GU/rectal/pelvis exam on all patients. We have done a couple of practice questions and it always seems that they try to hide something in the groin so that if you don't look you get burned.

I also recall that every patient needs IV, O2, Monitor and advanced airway cart to the bedside.

Anyone got any other tips?

I signed up for the AAEM course. Does anyone know if they usually provide you with any study materials prior to the review course that you can use to study from?

Hi Guys,

I took the Hilton Head (SIUH) course -- emoralboards.com.

It is 5 days and I totally loved it. Everyday I practiced and had new questions and could ask someone. I got better and better. We were done by 1 or 2 pm and spent the rest of the time chilling out on the beach, golf course, water sports. Totally Awesome. I went there with my family and we all loved it.

I got 30+ CME hours as well and use dthat money to pay for it.
It was the best and I saw a lot of people who failed after other courses there and they all passed. I totally passed as well.

IT IS WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but can anyone comment on the 2 Vegas review courses - PA-ACEP vs AAEM? Was planning to review in Vegas and wasn't sure if there was a big quality difference. It looks like for PA-ACEP you can take just one day.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but can anyone comment on the 2 Vegas review courses - PA-ACEP vs AAEM? Was planning to review in Vegas and wasn't sure if there was a big quality difference. It looks like for PA-ACEP you can take just one day.

Did the PA-ACEP half day course in PA. Got the job done, and I was able to drive to the course from New England.

did the Rivers book/cd's and practiced w/ friends, no formal course. passed w/o difficulty. my residency did mock orals annually.

I have been on the fence on what to do as far as a review course...

We did mocks almost monthly in residency plus a couple of 'official half day' with faculty. I think I would be ok to not do one... but I think failing and not having done a course would plain suck.

I have looked at all my options, and a one day PaCEP fits the best into my schedule and is the cheapest.

I did a review course with PaCEP for the written and enjoyed it. I think I would have passed without it, but it was that much more re-assuring having done the course.

Sweet because I was planning on the PA course since it's right here. I just wanted a recent update on its quality. Thanks :D

I spent most of it trying to find my 'perfect' cheat sheet setup. If you discover that before you get to the course, then your payload will be higher.

Of course, finding your perfect sheet setup is probably part of the payoff.

Welp, I just signed up for the AAEM course in Vegas April 11-12. Anyone else going to be there?

I did one day of the Pa ACEP course, one week before the orals, which was perfect. I found the cases to be more difficult and red-herring-littered (at times I felt like I had been deliberately led off the correct path by the examiners) than the actual boards, which went very smoothly. I also got good feedback and tips from the examiners.

I also used the Okuda book--LOTS of cases, did some with friends.

To pass the oral boards you need to be systematic and level-headed. That's it. You should already have these habits if you completed a residency, so just apply them to a slightly weird situation.

A couple of specifics:
1. Set up your paper the EXACT same way every time. It's OK to take 15-20 seconds at the top of the case to get your paper set up.
2. Write your name on the paper. I was told by an ex-examiner that if you bomb the exam and have written your name on the paper and it provides evidence that you know what you are doing, this can save you. Plan A is not to bomb the case, though.
3. If a consultant or test is "not available" you have missed something critical. Review the template you made at the top of the case--it could be something as simple as forgetting the rest of the exam (i.e., you started the exam and the patient coded...you stabilized him and now need to finish the exam, even if irrelevant, before the consultant takes the patient).

What is the best oral board review book?

I was thinking Carol Rivers with the CDs. Has anyone used these or have them? Do you like them?
Her written board review books were/are great.

Thanks!

Any of you guys who took the test in April got any feedback on what prep course worked (or didn't) for you?

My friend who took the Orals in April swears by the AAEM course. She said it's the only way she passed the triple cases.

I took the AAEM and the April boards... but we didn't get our scores yet.

Honestly, I left the oral boards thinking, wahoo, that's done, I'm sure I passed! But then I started thinking of all the things I forgot or neglected to do... and by the night, I was convinced I failed. The jury is still out - I'm checking the website every day!

I think the biggest disappointment for me was the impression that the actual boards were supposed to be easier than the "tough" prep course - and I didn't find this was the case.

Took the PaACEP 1 day course and felt like I was prepared in Chicago.

No course.

Of course, no idea if I passed.

Seems like everyone had some idea of something they missed or butchered. Everyone with pain got pain meds, everyone with a fever got Tylenol, all cases ended on time, no one died. It's annoying and weird, but you can do it without a course.

I did not take a course and felt well prepared. Met 5-7 times with another person taking the test, used the Okuda book to run cases. Only surprise was the triples were tougher than expected, harder, tighter on time, but doable.

The thing is that it isn't the cases that are hard - it's the format. You know this stuff. You do it every day.

You do not, however, have to ask what you see when you walk in the room, hope that the examiner doesn't leave out that your patient is obviously pregnant, or ask the nurse to put the patient on the monitor and make sure you get all the vital signs... it is a very surreal way to practice, and the prep courses teach you to play the game.

I did the AAEM course. It worked for me. I didn't even open the book that came with the course.

Bump for more "Book Recommendations"

I cannot and will not do a sit-down course because I tune right out. I need a book that I can "actively practice" with, and do it on my time when I feel that the iron is hot.

I cannot and will not do a sit-down course because I tune right out. I need a book that I can "actively practice" with, and do it on my time when I feel that the iron is hot.

Any coral boards case book will do, what you need is an examiner. Do you know anyone else who needs to practice? Team up with him or her and do cases for each other. If you don't live near any of your resident classmates use Facetime or Skype.

Do that, and be tough on each other, and you'll do just fine.

I'm just wondering - did you guys have oral board dry runs during residency or not?

The reason I ask is I wonder if I should be freaking out about the orals or not...

... during residency, we did 4 sets of dry runs from year PGY1 to PGY4. We even had senior oral boards and I thought all 4 sets were great practice.

The review courses run you through several mock boards, so it isn't really a 'sit down' course. The oral board books would be best used with a study partner.

No one likes to play Dungeons and Dragons alone.

Any coral boards case book will do, what you need is an examiner. Do you know anyone else who needs to practice? Team up with him or her and do cases for each other. If you don't live near any of your resident classmates use Facetime or Skype.

Do that, and be tough on each other, and you'll do just fine.

Would be really funny if someone ran a mock oral board over the internet type service. Pay your money and get grilled over the internet.

"I want to order an ABG"

"Here are your results - open the PDF I just sent you named 'ABG'".

At least you don't have to shake clammy hands before the simulation.

Yeah, the courses aren't sit down. They have you walk room to room - just like the real thing - and sit down one on one with an "examiner" and they hit you. Over and over.

It's really good practice, and it isn't lecture.

Several of the residents at my hospital took the EM Oral Boards Boot Camp in Houston and they all raved about it. It apparently has the most cases of all the review courses and was really well presented.

I myself took the Hilton Head course which was OK, but I didn't like the fact that we were turned out each day at 1 pm. I went for training and I knew very well that my job depended on board certification. Bear in mind guys, that while ABEM will let you repeat the oral exams pretty much indefinitely, your hospital administration is not so patient and you may have only one or two chances to pass the boards before your privileges are rescinded and your group sends you packing. The Houston course apparently utilizes your time to the fullest and the residents said they were more than prepared. After talking to them some more, I realized that they managed more patients in just one day than I did in the entire 4 days I was at Hilton Head.

P.S. - I called these guys residents - but they are actually first year attendings now. My apologies to each of them!

Last edited: