Oral board scores are up!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProRealDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exam Results
1dot.gif

ExamDateResultSpring 2011 Part 2 ExaminationApr 15, 2011PassNOTE: The results of the Spring 2011 Part 2 Examination will be mailed to candidates on May 13, 2011. This letter will answer many of the questions you may have concerning your results. If you have not received your letter by May 23, 2011, please contact the ABA at (866) 999-7501 and we will send you a duplicate.

Online Request For Certificate Forms
corner-img.asp
1dot.gif
corner-img.asp
1dot.gif
dialog-info.png
Info
You have the following Online Request for Certificate Forms to Complete
1dot.gif
corner-img.asp
1dot.gif
corner-img.asp

CertificateDeadlineActionPrimary Certification # XXXXX 6/6/2011 Complete Now

I passed! I am elated. Congrats to the new diplomates!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
:clap::claps::clap: :claps:

Congrats to all who passed... and welcome to life post exams (or at least for 10 more years). :D

I hope y'all are celebrating. It's been what....12+ yrs.?

No one is allowed to pick up an anesthesia book for a one month minimum. :prof:

This is preferable:

granpatron-burdeos.jpg

Honestly... it's a big step in your career. Big congrats....:thumbup::thumbup:

As Arch said: if you didn't pass, keep your chin up, figure out what you did wrong and get 'em next time. :)

Congratulations, everybody!!! :thumbup:

I about s%*t myself when I started getting texts about 4 pm today from my residency classmates re: results are in. Apparently the examiners didn't like me much; they don't want me to come back next year :D

Congrats to those who passed, a big "F the ABA" to those who didn't, and drunkdrunkdrunkdrunkdrunk to all.

veni
vidi
vici
:smuggrin:

I failed.

It was certainly disheartening and discouraging.

I find it ironic that just hours before discovering my fate, I read UTSouthwestern's "Farewell" post. In light of eternity, my set back is only a minor glitch in the journey. I am so blessed with a loving wife and beautiful 14month old twin daughters. Those are the important things in life and as UT urged, I will focus on my blessings.

Congrats to those who joined the fraternity, I will catch you next year.

I consider myself an intelligent well spoken physician. I am considered in high regards by my colleagues in my group as well as the surgeons that I work with. Failure had never been part of my vocabulary.

This is my second time taking the oral exam. The first time I definitely went in to cocky and did not put my heart into it. Deservedly, I failed.

I rededicated my efforts studying with a colleague who had also failed. We both put your heart and souls into it. She PASSED and I FAILED.

I am devastated by the results and don't know what I could have done differently.

Congrats to all those that passed and I will join you next year!

FAILED!!! Not that it was anything that I did not expect. I saw it coming from a mile away. Unfortunately, I knew the questions but lost focus and couldn't communicate or recall information in a timely manner. Looking back on it, I would have failed myself too so I can't complain too much.

Passed. What a relief. I felt for sure I bombed that thing. Congrats to everyone who was confirmed by the ABA. If you failed, keep your chins up, get them next year. The margin on this thing feels so razor thin...

Members don't see this ad :)
Disappointed to hear of the non-passers (certainly none of you are failures). Ive failed an important test before so I know how much it bites. Congrats to all the passers.

I passed!!! Leaving the exam room my initial impression was that I probably passed.:oops: Over a period of days and weeks, I became less convinced likely due to focusing on all my poorly worded, incomplete, incorrect or absent ("I don't know") responses that I relayed to examiners.:scared: I did not attend a review course due to my ADHD (total inability to focus for long periods of time), thus I had no mechanism of comparing my performance or knowledge base to that of my peers.:confused: I'm just glad I passed :).:thumbup:

Last edited:
I failed the orals 2009. I cannot make any excuses I simply failed. I failed in style. One of my examiners laughed @ me. The statement that the orals is not a knowledge test is true. The flip side is however, that you cannot answer the questions well if you do not have the appropriate knowledge base. I think that a lot of us over think the orals. I realized that there is nothing magical or mystical about the orals.

Jensen would have you believe that you can fail if you miss one key question. That is not true. Ho would have you believe that you have to read a book as thick as a telephone book in order to pass.

Failing the orals does not mean that you are not a highly skilled anesthesiologist. With focused preperation everyone can pass the orals. The best method of preperation is highly variable. We all have different styles of learning.If you are well spoken, you can pass the orals easily with adequate preperation. Those who are not fluent will have to work harder. I went to Hos' course twice the year that I failed the orals. I ran into some individuals who spoke like experts on everything. There was a way that they approarched the questions. I was not very fluent. A weekend or even an entire week cannot make you fluent and well conversant about anesthesia. You need to practice for a few months. Once you become fluent and conversant you will have a skill that will serve you well for the rest of your career.

I spent a year of my life completely obsessed with the orals. Feel free to pm if you have any questions .

Cambie

Last edited:
<Deleted by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:
<Deleted by mod>

Every year on this thread, there are people who sign up for SDN to make 1 or 2 posts about how great the Ho course is. Personally, I took the Ho course years ago and liked it fine. It just seems fishy that these new people sign up and do an advertisement for him, never to be heard from again.
Hands down, the best way to practice is to take a LOT of exams from faculty at your residency program who know how the exam works. Get the exams from a variety of people so that you get used to dealing with different styles. The courses can build on that foundation. Also, common problems are common on the orals.
I personally would be wary of the opinions posted by people who have less than five posts that sound like advertisements. Not saying his course is not good. Just saying that we see this every year.

Sumbich! That Ho knows how to make them $$$:D

Every year on this thread, there are people who sign up for SDN to make 1 or 2 posts about how great the Ho course is. Personally, I took the Ho course years ago and liked it fine. It just seems fishy that these new people sign up and do an advertisement for him, never to be heard from again.
Hands down, the best way to practice is to take a LOT of exams from faculty at your residency program who know how the exam works. Get the exams from a variety of people so that you get used to dealing with different styles. The courses can build on that foundation. Also, common problems are common on the orals.
I personally would be wary of the opinions posted by people who have less than five posts that sound like advertisements. Not saying his course is not good. Just saying that we see this every year.

yeah not really sure how you failed. These exams should be video recorded and all failures reviewed by a second party. Based on my experience with academic personalities, this would at least help improve on the whole bull**** subjective aspect of the exam.

yeah not really sure how you failed. These exams should be video recorded and all failures reviewed by a second party. Based on my experience with academic personalities, this would at least help improve on the whole bull**** subjective aspect of the exam.

It might be subjective, but you are being graded by 4 independent examiners over 2 unrelated exams and your scores by those graders are compared to every other examinee that they graded.

I like the oral exam. It's completely different than the written standardized tests that we have all have 20+ years of experience taking. It's almost impossible to pass the oral exam without being a competent anesthesiologist. That's a good thing. The unfortunate part is that some competent anesthesiologists can fail it.

But that's why you get 3 tries.

Ditto, caveat emptor!

<Deleted by mod>

<Deleted by mod>

I failed the orals 2009. I cannot make any excuses I simply failed. I failed in style. One of my examiners laughed @ me. The statement that the orals is not a knowledge test is true. The flip side is however, that you cannot answer the questions well if you do not have the appropriate knowledge base. I think that a lot of us over think the orals. I realized that there is nothing magical or mystical about the orals.

Jensen would have you believe that you can fail if you miss one key question. That is not true. Ho would have you believe that you have to read a book as thick as a telephone book in order to pass.

Failing the orals does not mean that you are not a highly skilled anesthesiologist. With focused preperation everyone can pass the orals. The best method of preperation is highly variable. We all have different styles of learning.If you are well spoken, you can pass the orals easily with adequate preperation. Those who are not fluent will have to work harder. I went to Hos' course twice the year that I failed the orals. I ran into some individuals who spoke like experts on everything. There was a way that they approarched the questions. I was not very fluent. A weekend or even an entire week cannot make you fluent and well conversant about anesthesia. You need to practice for a few months. Once you become fluent and conversant you will have a skill that will serve you well for the rest of your career.

I spent a year of my life completely obsessed with the orals. Feel free to pm if you have any questions .

Cambie

Cambie, I sent you a PM.

I wanted to reply to all the Ho baggers out there. Yes, I took Dr Ho's course for the oral boards and passed. And yes I was asked to post on this thread. And yes I think Dr Ho is a selfless promotor and charges lots of $$ for his courses.
But at the end of the day, his course is amazing and I would say that even if I didn't pass the boards. I learned so much from his course and it had made me a better doctor. He really knows his anesthesia and has a way of explaining things like no other. I would even go so far and say that I would take the course again for CME. I probably could have passed the boards without his course but I am glad I took his course cause it has taught me so much. I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.

:roflcopter:

Nice try.

I wanted to reply to all the Ho baggers out there. Yes, I took Dr Ho's course for the oral boards and passed. And yes I was asked to post on this thread. And yes I think Dr Ho is a selfless promotor and charges lots of $$ for his courses.
But at the end of the day, his course is amazing and I would say that even if I didn't pass the boards. I learned so much from his course and it had made me a better doctor. He really knows his anesthesia and has a way of explaining things like no other. I would even go so far and say that I would take the course again for CME. I probably could have passed the boards without his course but I am glad I took his course cause it has taught me so much. I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.

I took the Ho course last year and I passed.

The best in the course were the mock orals right before the real exam itself.
+ the book - it is a very good book, though some areas are outdated.

You can pass the boards with or without the course and you can fail with or without the course - there is no reason in demonization or sanctification of the helpful ( for some) tool.

Just stay away from the third rail. We all have had our fill of review course testimonials. Anyone who is setting up a study plan can read through old post and decide if they want to use a review course for the orals .

Cambie

Even though I passed my orals several years back, my biggest problem is that I do not feel that enough feedback is given to those who fail. Two former colleagues showed me their failure letters (they subsequently passed). The information given was not helpful in my opinion. At least in the written you are given the opportunity to see which areas you excel in or do not excel in. To those that failed, keep your head up. My advice is try to take as many tests as possible next time. I would do no fewer than 100 tough practice tests. Justoralboards helped my colleagues. However, you can get practice from any source. Good luck. Keep your heads up.

If you fail, do you get preference on which date you want to schedule for the next year? i.e. do you have the ability to secure the April test date instead of being subject to the random lottery?

Last edited:
sorry i posted in the wrong forum!

Pretty sure I now have takotsubo cardiomyopathy from seeing this thread bumped.

I have been OCD and checking the ABA website about 4 times a day for the last week. This is what came up this morning. Maybe they are about to post the scores. check back after 10 am

The ABA Diplomate Directory is currently unavailable and will return
to service on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM (ET).
Please contact the ABA Office with any questions at (866) 999-7501.

Mutherfkrs better stop bumping this thread until the scores are actually up

we are all on edge. i just saw the website change and thought it might indicate something. by posting the above didn't you also just bump the thread? if you don't like people posting and bumping maybe you should remain silent yourself...

Well, I was mostly joking. But for clarity, you bumped it. I don't count what I did as bumping, since it was already the top thread.