Oral Boards Review Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esodeviation

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, passed the written boards this spring and taking orals in Chicago in October and was just wondering about any thoughts on some of the review books available for oral boards. Oral boards seem to be a different animal in comparison to all of the written multiple choice exams we've grown so accustomed to taking. I have heard good things about the review course held just before the exam but don't want to take more days off and spend nearly as much money as the exam itself costs for a review course. Any thoughts on review books, specifically the following?

Ophthalmology Oral Board Review Manual (Luviano, et al) - in print, also available on iTunes

Ophthalmology Clinical Case Studies (Mauger)

Osler Course Ophthalmology Oral Exam Study Guide

Ophthalmology Clinical Vignettes: Oral Exam Study Guide (Pemberton)

Any advice appreciated and good luck to all taking orals this fall@

Members don't see this ad.

Wills Eye Manual and a good Atlas are the best resources for the orals. I also recommend Ophthalmology Review: A Case Study Approach by Singh, Smiddy and Lee and last minute optics. You could probably pass just using those four books +/- a general review book.

I also recommend the Osler oral mock course (it is very helpful to run through the cases).

Of the ones you mentioned, I used the Pemberton book, Luviano book, and the Osler Course Ophthalmology Oral Exam Study Guide. All were worth the cost and time.

I used another book that wasn't on your list and thought it was very good and worth the time/cost as well: Case Reviews in Ophthalmology (Friedman and Kaiser).

I didn't take time off for the Osler course. Probably would have eased my anxiety during and after the test, but I passed.

Also, don't forget Last Minute Optics

Members don't see this ad :)
All I used was the Singh Ophthalmology Review (out of print, but you can find it used), memorized the first 2 chapters of Wills, and looked at pictures in the Kanski textbook a few times. Last Minute Optics was another book that would have helped some, but I never used it for the oral exam.

Anyone selling the Osler Oral Board Review course material from a recent year? If anyone has any other Oral Boards review resources for sale, please PM me. Thanks!