Oral Boards: What to Wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but what is the dress code for oral boards? I'm assuming suits for men, or is it smart dress (since we EM docs are so against anything involving a tie).

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that we wear a suit, or at least that it is hard to go wrong that way.

sure, you could go formal and safe, but if you really want to score, I'd recommend something more like
sexy-female-doctor_~ih013054.jpg

or

(yes, I sucked it up and found some eye candy for the ladies)
attachment.php

Members don't see this ad :)
I took boards a few months ago, and 98% of people were in suits (girls were in business attire, for the most part). The examiners were all in suits. It would seem a bit of a snub to not dress up.

A couple of guys were just in shirt and ties, but they stuck out like sore thumbs. I'd rather not stick out like a sore thumb.

Suits unfortunately.

If you dress up like the above picture and you're a guy, you have to hope that the majority of your examiners are pre-menopausal women or gay. Otherwise it will probably harm you.

Does anyone know whether the women typically wear skirt-suits or pant suits?

i did the april exam and it was still chilly in chi and could be for oct too. i did residency there and the abbreviated "spring" and "fall" are very unpredictable. most were in pantsuits iirc. i didn't know and wore more business casual - pants and light sweater. wish i had asked on sdn first! i passed though, i guess no one cared!

As a former examiner, we were told not to let appearance affect our grading at all. And there are iconoclasts who show up dressed for the beach. But I've got to say, if I have to wear a suit, it's gonna be hard to be neutral about someone dressed unprofessionally. Business casual should be ok, however.

I showed up wearing a collared shirt and jeans but was embarrassed when I saw that almost everyone else was in a suit. So I changed into a pair of corduroys from my suitcase, tucked in my shirt, and fortunately my jacket made a passable sport coat. I passed, but if I had to do it again I'd wear a suit just so I wouldn't feel self-conscious.

As a former examiner, we were told not to let appearance affect our grading at all. And there are iconoclasts who show up dressed for the beach. But I've got to say, if I have to wear a suit, it's gonna be hard to be neutral about someone dressed unprofessionally. Business casual should be ok, however.

Welcome back BKN!:thumbup:

When applying for residency I found your posts infomative and reassuring, and sometimes quite funny.

HH

Suits unfortunately.

If you dress up like the above picture and you're a guy, you have to hope that the majority of your examiners are pre-menopausal women or gay. Otherwise it will probably harm you.

LOL...

Not that I would try it, but I really wonder what would happen if you just showed up in your normal scrubs....

wear a suit. one less thing to worry about.

And make sure it is a comfortable one! It is an incredibly long day and you don't want anything to distract you. And makes sure you become friends with a bunch of guys on your floor, take the train with them to Chicago, go to Gibson's Steakhouse, ask for a table in Mo's section, and he'll get you a limo home! One of the best nights I can remember!!!!!!! Plus I passed :)