Quantcast

Oral/Maxillofacial surgery residency ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoromar

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello , my name is Omar Hassan im a DDs graduate from United arab emirates , im really intrested in going for OMS specialty in the states , i checked some schools online and i found that the admission requirements are impossible like they want 90 in NBDE and challenging grades and GPa, Us citizenship..etc .

so my question is
Please can anyone tell me what schools in states accept international students and which has reasonable requirements .

thanx inadvance

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 90 and good grades is reasonable. If you're not a competitive applicant you may need to consider another route. Try calling/emailing a few programs and see what they say.

7mag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ha ha man some posts on this forum are hilarious...90+ good grades etc...not impossible at all. I would tend to say if you DO think that is impossible you don't need to be an oral surgeon... or at least the one that's working on me

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most are very specific on wanting US Citizens.

Do consider doing an internship.

zips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello , my name is Omar Hassan im a DDs graduate from United arab emirates , im really intrested in going for OMS specialty in the states , i checked some schools online and i found that the admission requirements are impossible like they want 90 in NBDE and challenging grades and GPa, Us citizenship..etc .

so my question is
Please can anyone tell me what schools in states accept international students and which has reasonable requirements .

thanx inadvance

There are a few things here.

Firstly, as an international student applying for an already challenging residency think of how to make yourself a great candidate--i.e grades and NDBE scores.

Secondly, many programs will want US citizenship or PRresidency because of the funding. For some private programs (ie. not public university programs) you may not need residency or citizenship.

Thirdly, are you planning on doing a DMD or DDS here in the US? Some programs may require this (especially 6-yr programs).

My advice is to go to each program's website and check out their requirements and read about their residents, etc. Write to the programs too or call them too and consider an internship in OMS in the US as well. That may be helpful.

Best of luck to you.