slope

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
Status
Hi everyone!

Do you guys know of any online resources (DVDs, tapes, books) for the oral mock boards in Psychiatry? I would really appreciate your feedback on this because my exam is coming very soon!

Psychintern2006

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Is it part of every Program ? not atleast mine...

About the Ads

Anasazi23

Your Digital Ruler
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
The innocent shall suffer...big time
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
There seems to be lots of stuff for the orals, especially compared to the written, which actually worries me more. The orals are equivalent to Vegas, in my opinion....there's no way I believe that 40-50% of board eligible psychiatrists are not "safe and competent" as the test is claiming to measure.

Check the psychiatric news ads. I always see stuff there.

Just do a search for oral board psychiatry in amazon.com. lots of hits

i.e.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158562179X/ref=pd_cp_b_0?pf_rd_p=317711001&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1560532025&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KCKT42KRBDE9FQTFE94

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status
Attending Physician
Arent they supposed to do away with oral boards in psych?

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
True-all the above.

Best book I've seen in Boarding Time--by Morrison. Your own program should also have several resources. Best way to prepare yourself from what I understand is to simply just practice practice practice.

My own program director went to a convention in New Orleans a few weeks ago where they mentioned this very issue and yes its only the current PGY Is that don't have to take the oral boards.

If you are above a PGY-I, it will be possible to avoid the official oral boards if you are willing to wait it out, because at some point in the future, the oral boards will be phased out for everybody. I don't know how long that will be, and I believe you would still have to get a residency program to offer you an equivalent board exam that you have to pass. This is appealing to some because its more comfortable to have an old attending give this instead of a stranger. Add to that there's a lot of horror stories with the oral boards. I don't know how much merit there are to these horror stories.

If you want to wait it out, I don't know how long it'll be, and that could mean less pay as a non-board certified doctor. In the NJ state sytem, (and I don't have the exact numbers, these are approximations), I believe the pay difference between a certified & non-certified doctor is about $30,000/year.

I'm not looking forward to the oral boards. Mostly because my own experience with oral exams makes me dislike the subjective nature of them. I remember in medschool, a doctor during Clinical Skills would mention how to do a specific physical exam, and I got it down the exact way that doctor told me how to do it. Then during the oral exam, I did it the same exact way, and the examiner mentioned to me that I had it all wrong, and this doctor showed me the "right" way to do it. Then I do it that way, and got another doctor & he tells me I'm wrong, and shows me his "right" way to do it.

My own program had a bunch of doctors pulling a similar thing, so we made it a policy that only doctors that are national board examiners conduct mock boards.

sunlioness

Fierce. Proud. Strong
10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Our mock orals are tomorrow. It really is quite ridiculous how anxious I am. *sigh*

About the Ads