Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metallicat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is considering applying for Oral Medicine and/or Oral Pathology?

What are the best programs in the USA and Canada?

What is the scope of practice having just Oral Medicine compared to having both Oral Medicine and Pathology?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely no one hey? If I do go for this I like my odds lol.

Hi. I'm actually starting my OMFP residency this coming July at NYHQ. There are 14 programs in the US. With oral medicine you will be a general practitioner equipped with knowledge to treat medically compromised patients. This could take you into hospital setting dentistry. With OMFP, while you could still practice dentistry, but you have the option to limit yourself to diagnosing oral conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
This could take you into hospital setting dentistry. With OMFP, while you could still practice dentistry, but you have the option to limit yourself to diagnosing oral conditions.
MMoT9l

Hi. I'm actually starting my OMFP residency this coming July at NYHQ. There are 14 programs in the US. With oral medicine you will be a general practitioner equipped with knowledge to treat medically compromised patients. This could take you into hospital setting dentistry. With OMFP, while you could still practice dentistry, but you have the option to limit yourself to diagnosing oral conditions.

What about the programs that offer just Oral Medicine? I know in the USA thats not a specialty but in Canada it is. How does your scope of practice change without pathology portion? Obviously you cannot diagnose your own biopsies, but can you just send that to a lab and continue your clinical work as normal?

Do many people treat both soft tissue pathology and TMD/Orofacial pain or do most people tend to do one or the other?

Hi Moni Ahmadian,
I am also applying for oral pathology residency in north carolina for this cycle as their deadline is March 3.I am an international student with both nbde parts cleared,toefl and observer ship at few universities in usa.I would like to know what are chances for international students without green card and if you have any idea about interviews in UNC please share the information here.

Is anyone going to apply for Oral Pathology residency this year?

Hi Moni Ahmadian,
I am also applying for oral pathology residency in north carolina for this cycle as their deadline is March 3.I am an international student with both nbde parts cleared,toefl and observer ship at few universities in usa.I would like to know what are chances for international students without green card and if you have any idea about interviews in UNC please share the information here.
Did you get any interviews for Oral Path, spurti?