Oral Presentations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know it's kind of emotionally immature, but I still have this phobia of giving oral presentations and talking to a crowd. I'm currently starting my 4th-year Honours Thesis, and I'm required to give a few 10-minute talks throughout the year. Even though 10 minutes isn't that much, I'm still dreading the days I'll have to present. What does everyone do to calm down for these sorts of things? How do you all give effective presentations? I'll have Powerpoint with me so I'm glad I'll have something to point at and some nice visuals. I always tell myself that I'm going to be fine and I rehearse like crazy, but when I get up there, my sympathetic nervous system kicks in and I start shaking, voice cracks, heart rate goes through the roof and I can't even control it! Interestingly, I have never had a problem with interviews and I've had past employers tell me that I'm a good interviewee. Any help is much appreciated,

Nervous Wreck in Canada

Members don't see this ad.

I had a terrible fear of public speaking- and I went and talked about it w/my doctor- she prescribed a beta blocker that I take 30 minutes prior to a talk- it really works- it reduces the sympathetic nervous system response w/out any noticeable central effects-I love it- good luck- snumie

SensesFail said:
So, I know it's kind of emotionally immature, but I still have this phobia of giving oral presentations and talking to a crowd. I'm currently starting my 4th-year Honours Thesis, and I'm required to give a few 10-minute talks throughout the year. Even though 10 minutes isn't that much, I'm still dreading the days I'll have to present. What does everyone do to calm down for these sorts of things? How do you all give effective presentations? I'll have Powerpoint with me so I'm glad I'll have something to point at and some nice visuals. I always tell myself that I'm going to be fine and I rehearse like crazy, but when I get up there, my sympathetic nervous system kicks in and I start shaking, voice cracks, heart rate goes through the roof and I can't even control it! Interestingly, I have never had a problem with interviews and I've had past employers tell me that I'm a good interviewee. Any help is much appreciated,

Nervous Wreck in Canada

You guys think you have trouble giving presentations or with public speaking? I am seriously the worst. In fact, I dont know how I made it through HS only having to give one presentation (which I screwed up completely.)

My sophomore year in HS, we had to give this presentation about a major event in WWII. We didnt have to create a poster, write a paper, etc, just talk about it. My teacher said we could use note cards, and even read directly from a sheet or script, but he said he really didnt want you to do that.

So I get up there, and I start talking and presenting, (nervous wreck btw, sweating, voice cracking, very red, and shaking specifically in the legs) and then I just stop. I was doing a mix of reading straight from my notes and improv, but I just froze and balnk out for about 6-7 seconds. Then I said one more line and finsihed. I probably needed to present another 3 min of info to pass, but surprisingly my teacher gave me a B, because I think he knew or could obviously tell I had a lot of trouble with public speaking.

And its not even public speaking. Whenever we read in English class, I always get so nervous because I am afarid the teacher will call on me to read. And if I do get called on, I get nervous, sweat, stumble over words, etc, and this is in my SEAT. However, afterwards after class or going out with friends, I have absolutely no problem ineracting and socializing.

So for some reason with me, whenever I am singled out in a formal academic setting in front a atleast 10+ people, I lose it.

Although, I do remember in 6th grade being able to give presentations with ease. I remember doing atleast 5-6 presentations in my 6th grade English, while in all my other 6th grade classes I did none and from 7th grade to my fresh year in undergrad now I have done 1 (sophomore year). The thing in 6th grade is that I was just a kid, I didnt have profound thinking skills and wasnt aware others had the ability to judge me, and nor was anyone else in my 6th grade class. Now as an adult or very near one I just get so NERVOUS in these situations described above. And if there is an attractive girl(s) in the class or setting, hell just shoot me now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris127 said:
And if there is an attractive girl(s) in the class or setting, hell just shoot me now.

Hahaha, I hear ya on this one, buddy.

Hmmm... a beta-blocker eh? I might have to try this. To be completely honest, I've signed up for classes, gone the first day to see what the syllabus was like, and if any presentations were required during the term I would drop the class and take something else. I feel as if this is really taking over my life and I definetly need help. I dunno what my deal is!

How about taking a theater/improv class? It sounds totally dorky but I used to be the shyest girl on earth girl and could not even talk to teachers or anything. Being forced to take a year of high school drama really helped. Even just practicing infront of somebody a couple times might help.

During a presentation, all the people in your class want is for you to do well and say something interesting. You know how painful it is to watch somebody bomb a speech? Well, nobody wants that. Most likely your audience is silently cheering you on, praying that you will be o.k.

If you are really, really anxious, maybe some sort of medication/therapy would be a good idea.

BooMed said:
How about taking a theater/improv class? It sounds totally dorky but I used to be the shyest girl on earth girl and could not even talk to teachers or anything. Being forced to take a year of high school drama really helped. Even just practicing infront of somebody a couple times might help.

During a presentation, all the people in your class want is for you to do well and say something interesting. You know how painful it is to watch somebody bomb a speech? Well, nobody wants that. Most likely your audience is silently cheering you on, praying that you will be o.k.

If you are really, really anxious, maybe some sort of medication/therapy would be a good idea.

The best solution to this problem for most people is practice. Try an immersion therapy and just start forcing yourself to volunteer for presentations as often as possible. You may never lose an edge of nerves before presentations, I know I haven't, but it helps take that pathological fear away. If that doesn't help, then I'd second the idea of seeing a therapist for advice on overcoming phobias. The beta-blocker idea is probably one that would work, I use beta-blockers for a med. problem but since I've started taking them my nerves have definately calmed down in those types of situations, but I don't know that I'd recommend meds to anybody who didn't really need them. I just don't like the chemical culture :)

I also agree with Boo, just think about all the crappy presentations from others you've sat through.... it's more painful for the audience!! So everybody's probably rooting you on at best, and indifferent at worst. Nobody's out to get you!

For sure, you should consider a beta blocker. Your symptoms are situational, and that would be perfect. Go see a doc about it, but you may need to educate him/her believe it or not. Suggest a beta blocker.

Also, another option would be a benzodiazepene, even in conjunction with the beta blocker. This will help your case so much that you won't believe it. It's amazing. You seriously may end up liking giving presentations.

Good luck.

cfdavid said:
You seriously may end up liking giving presentations.

Good luck.

That's because you're all f*kd up and feeling awesome. You would probably enjoy just about anything with all those meds pumping through you.

I used to HATE public speaking. HATE HATE HATE it. I had to give a talk in church in front of 300 people when I was 14 years old, and I damn near crapped my pants. It was the worst speech of all time.
Since that time, I've had to give a number of speeches, some in front of fairly large groups (1000+ people as Student Body President). It's really not bad anymore. There's always that little bit of tachycardia and a butterfly or two, but that's absolutely normal, and it goes away a minute or two into the speech. I think it's absolutely key to know specifically what you're going to say for the first few minutes. If you're a bad public speaker, don't try to wing it at first - give your heart a chance to slow down a little, realize that it's really not that bad, and then you can ease into a more relaxed speaking mode.
I guess my overall point is that practice will help you get over the nerves. The first time may really suck, but by the third or fourth presentation, you'll be an old pro. :luck:

Public speaking is hard especially if you're unprepared. I agree with all points SanDiegoSOD raised.

I find it quite realistic that a lot of pre-meds are actually shy, non-outgoing, and afraid of public speaking. Glad to know there are people like me out there. I will definitely connect with you easier when we're all past this application game. we can then laugh on the stupidity of applying to 30 schools and spending over $5000 just on the process.

I was the same way. My legs would shake uncontrollably. My voice would shake uncontrollably. Words won't come out, and if it does it was usually a whisper. Not just public speaking...but when the teacher called on me in class....or when we have to do introductions in groups...i.e. hello my name is.......it was pretty bad.

go to www.toastmasters.org it's a public speaking club, and you give little 1 or 3 or 5 min speeches each week. And slowly each week you get better....and less afraid. I'm telling you....it took time, almost 3 years....and now when you get up there....it just comes out naturally. Please go to that website and find a club near your house. It was a life saver.

jmnykrkts said:
That's because you're all f*kd up and feeling awesome. You would probably enjoy just about anything with all those meds pumping through you.

Yeah dude, those beta blockers sure are great! You should think before you 'speak'. Otherwise, you risk sounding like an a$$.

Chris127 said:
Although, I do remember in 6th grade being able to give presentations with ease. I remember doing atleast 5-6 presentations in my 6th grade English, while in all my other 6th grade classes I did none and from 7th grade to my fresh year in undergrad now I have done 1 (sophomore year). The thing in 6th grade is that I was just a kid, I didnt have profound thinking skills and wasnt aware others had the ability to judge me, and nor was anyone else in my 6th grade class. Now as an adult or very near one I just get so NERVOUS in these situations described above. And if there is an attractive girl(s) in the class or setting, hell just shoot me now.

Me too - exactly. I was elected by default to give a short summary of a problem in bio, ("Gee whiz, I'm so shy. Teehee, you do it, Caboose!" Then I watched as the faces turned from surpise and sypathetic discomfort to a deep concern for my health.
I would take some friends out to a bar/public place and do one or two minute sections. People will look at you like you're absolutely mad. That way, the benign faces of your peers will be welcomed and you can always laugh at the reaction of those at the bar. Innocent bystanders.
Toastmasters is good. I just made my own club in Japan because I suck eggs so very much. The bar is quick and it involves beer though.
Caboose.

Members don't see this ad :)
cfdavid said:
Yeah dude, those beta blockers sure are great! You should think before you 'speak'. Otherwise, you risk sounding like an a$$.

I was referring to your little suggested cocktail with the benzodiazepines. You don't think benzodiazepines have any psychotropic effect? You are sorely mistaken.
If you are finding it necessary to double medicate to speak in public I would suggest there is a deeper issue there than just a fear of public speaking that you should be dealing with.
Anyhow, I think sandiegoSOD hit the nail on the head - knowing exactly what you are going to say for the first few minutes when the nerves are the worst works wonders. Once you get past that hump you begin to relax and the words will just start to flow.

SensesFail said:

Nervous Wreck in Canada
beta blockers

jmnykrkts said:
I was referring to your little suggested cocktail with the benzodiazepines. You don't think benzodiazepines have any psychotropic effect? You are sorely mistaken.
If you are finding it necessary to double medicate to speak in public I would suggest there is a deeper issue there than just a fear of public speaking that you should be dealing with.
Anyhow, I think sandiegoSOD hit the nail on the head - knowing exactly what you are going to say for the first few minutes when the nerves are the worst works wonders. Once you get past that hump you begin to relax and the words will just start to flow.

First of all, what do you think benzodiazepenes are for? The OP clearly has situational issues. I wasn't advocating taking Ativan twice daily, regardless. But, if a condition is impacting someone's life in a negative way, I think that medication would be warranted.

The key would be to get that person comfortable enough so that over time, a certain level of confidence would build. THEN, some kind of behavioral therapy would be more effective. But, it's first necessary to eliminate the physiological response (not necessarily psychological).

Sure, benzo's could be a problem over time. But that was never the context of the OP's situation. Again, it was clearly conditional upon a certain situation. And that's exactly what that class of drugs is for.

As far as I know benzodiazepines are used to treat anxiety disorders - ie. chronic anxiety. Public speaking is something that terrifies a lot of people. I would suggest that the OP's experience is not all that uncommon in the general population - particularly for people who haven't done much public speaking before. I certainly wouldn't classify it as a disorder. That fear is a normal response and is something that will eventually go away with lots of practice. medicating = short term solution = easy way out = not a real solution. what happens if he gets called on to speak in class and doesn't have his medication with him?

there are ways to improve your public speaking without beta blockers or other drugs. i used to get nervous before presentations too early on in high school, i just practiced a lot and now i do just fine. do what the sims do...stand in front of your bathroom mirror and talk gibberish, hehe

of course beta blockers will work, but why become unnecessarily dependent on a drug?

i need to heartily agree. there are two great drug-free tips you can use to alleviate the fears of public speaking.

the first, as mentioned above, is really go over what you want to say and memorize the first parts of your speech.. once you're over the hump, you'll start to cruise.

the second, which i find extremely helpful, is to go to the place where you're scheduled to speak ahead of time (an hour, a day, whatever) at a point where the forum is empty, and practice delivering your speech out loud. when you go for the 'real thing', you will have already delivered your speech in that environment, and the whole process feel a little less foreign.

There's a difference between what most people consider the average jitters, and what some experience as a severe physiological response. Being slightly anxious or nervous can help towards peak performance. But, again, some people experience a truly debilitating physiological response to certain situations. Therefore, drugs would be in order.

Are beta blockers addictive? Do you need a prescription? I tend to get real nervous before a major test, quite often.

Before a big presentation, or even something in front of the class, I get butterflies everytime I think about it, I sweat, dont eat, I'm in the bathroom all day prior/day of, etc. Its just something I HATE doing, and fortunately I havent had to do much yet.

I am terribly shy, and absolutely HATE public speaking. Quite a contrast to my rather strong personality. To overcome that, I started teaching classes like CPR, etc. I still get nervous, my face still gets a little red (being naturally a ghostly shade of white doesn't help that, either!) especially when asked questions. I also hate being called on to demonstrate stuff in classes. But I suck it up and do it without complaint, without giggling, without whining. To make my blushing worse, I have a slight case of rosacea... prone to flushing episodes for no reason whatsoever. Ick. I also wear a good foundation (being female helps).

Beta-blockers? thought about it. Decided that wouldn't help my psychological fears, and the best medicine was to tell myself I was being silly and do it. Yet another weakness for me to overcome, and the best way is to conquer the fear instead of the old "better living through pharmaceutical intervention" technique.

Bottom line is, I refuse to allow my fears to rule my behavior.

ShyRem,
I think most people find that they actually fear the out of control sympathetic response, and not a direct phobia of large groups etc. Beta blockers will help immensely with that, but they will do nothing psychologically (directly).

That's why I made the comment that people with severe performance anxiety taking certain, appropriate, medications may find that they can actually like giving presentations. Whereas, this would not be the case if the fear was strictly psychological in nature. Rather by relieving some of the physical symptoms, people can become more comfortable (physically). This will help with any systematic desensitization that some have advocated.

Actually, for us soon to be med students, this is a perfect example of the interrelationship between mind and body.

I think you should stay away from drugs unless you have an actual physical problem. That's my opinion. I used to be pretty bad with public speaking in middle school and the beginning of high school. I think practice and doing it often gets you over it. Every time you have to present ask 3-4 of your friends (who you won't feel self-conscious in front of) ahead of time to help you practice. Sit them down and present to them. Have them ask you questions. Doing this will make you feel more comfortable because you know your friends arent criticizing you. By the time the actual present. comes you should feel more comfortable pretending that the whole crowd are all your friends. I now present anything to anybody very comfortably and speak well in public because I just tell myself: "I know what Im talking about" and I envision success.

It also helps to know your topic well, you won't feel confident at all if you prepared your presentation ten minutes before and have no clue what you are talking about. Know your topic until the point where you pretty much don't need cue cards to speak. It also looks very impressive if you speak without reading anything at all (hands free to point at your board or whatever). It comes across as "damn, he knows his $***!"

I recommend a shot (or two) of vodka before the speech.