drsoni

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am currently applying to dental schools this cycle, but I was considering looking into specialties, and I had some questions about OMFS. To work in a hospital as an OMFS (say in trauma center, oncology, or facial cosmetics), do we need to do a fellowship that concentrates in one of these areas after the 6-year residency/med-school program? Or can we work in a hospital setting just after the residency program?

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The very nature of OMFS for non-dentoalveolar procedures is hospital based. You can work in a hospital-based practice managing trauma, orthognathics, TMJ, infections, etc. as part of the normal scope of OMFS

For the three sub-specialities you listed one would generally pursue post-residency fellowship training, which would allow you to (theoretically) be credentialed in oncology, cosmetics, etc at a given hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.