Oral Surgery Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOCD4DMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here it is.... I love Oral surgery but im ranked low in my class and got a 80 on my boards.. Obviously there is no chance to get in this year. But what would be the chances of getting in if I did a year internship?
What would be the best internship to do?
any suggestions would be great
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same position once. I went for a GPR and worked my butt off -- as a result, I got top marks from the Program Director. This overcame my middle-of-the-pack placing at Dental School. Other colleagues have gone into the Military and got top marks -- again, they were able to successfully enter residencies (and the Military Dental Corps Residency Programs are top flight). Either path could work for you.

Remember -- Dental Schools ask us to become accomplished at both clinical science AND clinical procedures within a four-year period. This is something that our MD counterparts are not asked to do. I needed some breathing room after graduation in order to mature professionally. There are lots of other Dentists in the same situation, and they will respect your postgraduate performance.

Best of luck!

I was in the same position once. I went for a GPR and worked my butt off -- as a result, I got top marks from the Program Director. This overcame my middle-of-the-pack placing at Dental School. Other colleagues have gone into the Military and got top marks -- again, they were able to successfully enter residencies (and the Military Dental Corps Residency Programs are top flight). Either path could work for you.

Remember -- Dental Schools ask us to become accomplished at both clinical science AND clinical procedures within a four-year period. This is something that our MD counterparts are not asked to do. I needed some breathing room after graduation in order to mature professionally. There are lots of other Dentists in the same situation, and they will respect your postgraduate performance.

Best of luck!
Now the military is "top flight"? What happened to last week's opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, Bill -- glad to see that you are following my postings. But if you doubt my veracity, here is my response.

My earlier criticism was that the Military have not yet seen the advantages of having a 6-year OMS residency that includes the MD degree. Their current 4-year programs are indeed excellent -- but the residents would gain so much more professionally and personally if they could choose a dual degree option. That was my sole criticism of their OMS programs.

I never ask that anyone accept my opinions without question, Bill. In your residency, do you not have literature seminars with lively debates? Have you been challenged by your Program Mentors about the clinical direction that you took during a Case Presentation? If so, how did you enter these professional discourses? Did you do so in a flippant manner, like you responded to my posting?

This is supposed to be a professional forum. Act like a Professional!

Herk

I think the AF did have the 6 year option but is now back to the four--I guess they didn't feel the additional two years were worth it.

Alright, Bill -- glad to see that you are following my postings. But if you doubt my veracity, here is my response.

My earlier criticism was that the Military have not yet seen the advantages of having a 6-year OMS residency that includes the MD degree. Their current 4-year programs are indeed excellent -- but the residents would gain so much more professionally and personally if they could choose a dual degree option. That was my sole criticism of their OMS programs.

I never ask that anyone accept my opinions without question, Bill. In your residency, do you not have literature seminars with lively debates? Have you been challenged by your Program Mentors about the clinical direction that you took during a Case Presentation? If so, how did you enter these professional discourses? Did you do so in a flippant manner, like you responded to my posting?

Sir, if you're joining these forums expecting the atmosphere of a journal club, you're going to be sorely disappointed. Make your points, defend them when they're called in to question, and try to refrain from badgering people to "act like a professional" simply because they disagree with you.

And remember, any of us could easily have said that calling the practices of a field of medicine into question, falsley representing the statistics of current entering students, belittling another specialty of dentistry or slandering the reputation of a dental school were examples being unprofessional.

Pot, meet kettle.

Last edited:

I haven't seen anything to substantiate your personal opinion that 6-year programs are vastly superior to 4-year. If you have something to stand on, let's see it. Otherwise, I'm calling BS.

In more general terms, you seem to have a penchant for attempting to pass your personal opinions off as objective fact. So far, as armorshell kindly pointed out, it's not turning out so well.

I don't have anything against you personally, Dr. Herkimer, but so far you're making a lot of claims that are arguable at best, and flatly wrong at worst. A lot of impressionable students depend on SDN for information, and for their sake, identifying and responding to junk information (which, unfortunately, is the realm occupied by most of your posts so far) is something I take seriously.

As a practicing dentist, you can be a wonderful resource to the SDN dental and pre-dental communities. Best of luck to you, and I hope we haven't seen the last of you on SDN.

Status
Not open for further replies.