Oral Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NLS

I do not exactly know how to phase this question but, what do oral surgeons call themselves (other than oral surgeons) to those who ask? Would it be better to classify themselves as dentist, the field in which they studied indepth, or can they just call themselves surgeons, since many of them, if not all, obtain a M.D. degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Call them what ever you like. However, Surgeon is probably better since they do surgeries most of the time. Do you want to become an oral surgeon?

Call them Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons!LOL I really don't know but, some of them get degrees as both D.D.S.' and M.D.'s! I had a friend who did both!

------------------
Forever Always,
DDSorEMP

Members don't see this ad :)
In the military we call them horses -sses, but you can call them whatever you want. I've been told that in the private world they can be accomodating and cordial. However, my experience has been quite the opposite.
zahnmann

They are called oral surgeons and they don't usually have an MD degree. Whether a dental school awards a DDS or DMD depends on the state in which the school is located. New York schools all award the DDS, for instance, while Pennsylvania and Mass. award the DMD! DMD is Doctor of Dental Medicine, DDS is Doctor of Dental Surgery. Same difference!

------------------

every oral surgeon i know has an M.D.. i think it is quite common and probably preferred. Dental school doesn't cover too much on tumor removal in the throat or reconstructive surgery of the face.

Yeah, I've had oral surgery, and my doc was an MD! And the hospital I worked at had an entire oral/maxillofacial surgery center, and every doc there was an MD...

And, conversely, my oral surgeon was a DMD and had extensive knowledge that he loved sharing with me. My guess is that the difference between "oral surgeons" is scope of practice, which would likely be degree-related.

I do not exactly know how to phase this question but, what do oral surgeons call themselves (other than oral surgeons) to those who ask? Would it be better to classify themselves as dentist, the field in which they studied indepth, or can they just call themselves surgeons, since many of them, if not all, obtain a M.D. degree?

A few of the oral surgeons I've met will get a little defensive when you call them dentists so I'd shy away from that. They went through many more years of training to get certified and more to get their M.D.s so I guess they deserve to be called whatever they want :D

haha this is what happens when I look through all of the Oral Surgery threads :oops:

Wow. OP is possibly a practicing OS now with a yacht and a Porsche.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. OP is possibly a practicing OS now with a yacht and a Porsche.
Haha I think it takes a few more years than that to pay off dental school loans after 4 years of dental schools, and 4-6 years of residency salary.