Orange County California - St Jude Medical Center, Fullerton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lynnus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are in search of an OB, Cardiac or General Anesthesiologist due to recent health issues of two partners.

This is a partnership track in a premier location in Southern California.

We are a group of 27 anesthesiologists, covering Cardiac, Neuro, Thoracic, Ortho, OB and healthy peds. No Trauma/Transplant.

- all MD
- 3 calls/month
- > 400k
- S corp

We are looking for a team player, who will be a resource of information and is willing to be active in hospital committees and to take up leadership positions.

Please email me at (no Recruiters please)

Members don't see this ad.

Is your partner track the same 7-year structure/pay as it is at St. Joe’s (also Allied)?

Reactions: 1 users
Ouch 7 years?!? who would sign up for that nonsense

Members don't see this ad :)
No
Separate Divisions
Separate Governance
Shorter Partnership

No
Separate Divisions
Separate Governance
Shorter Partnership

That’s good to hear.

Good luck with your search.

For those who are out there looking, this is a nice hospital in a nice area. The other OC Allied location has earned themself a bad rep over the last 5-6 years (deservedly so), but if the above holds true this gig is worth a look.

That’s good to hear.

Good luck with your search.

For those who are out there looking, this is a nice hospital in a nice area. The other OC Allied location has earned themself a bad rep over the last 5-6 years (deservedly so), but if the above holds true this gig is worth a look.
Salty, do you know groups in Southbay?

Salty, do you know groups in Southbay?

An old residency buddy of mine is at Torrance. I know he left a lucrative gig in the Bay Area to go there, so I assume it must be a decent practice, but I don't know any of the details.

Careful with Allied. They shut down their partner track 5-6 years ago and now just hire employees. I talked to them as a CA-3 and it was the sleaziest/cagiest conversation I’ve ever had. Took everything in me not to hang up on the guy.

Allied is definitely no bueno. Like ******** said, they have only been hiring employees for the last 5+ years. As a result, they have had a lot of turnover. Even their oldest employees are leaving after sticking it out with them for years hoping things might change...It's an eat what you kill model with unfair scheduling (employees aren't assigned to all call spots like the partners). This obviously creates a toxic environment where partners take full advantage of the employees (regularly dishing off weekend calls to employees and calling in unscheduled employees to relieve them in the afternoon after a bulk of the partners units are collected)...

This was from a thread in the general anesthesia forum about Southern California groups. The OP of that post seemed to think Allied was among the least bad. Even if he was a shill (which is possible), that's still encouraging, if he's willing to go to bat for his group (if "least bad" is a compliment).

The last hospital they "took over" was a tiny little Tenet facility circling the drain. The contract was offered to Allied only after Envision passed on it. I don't think Envision has ever passed on a contract. Ever. The top three guys (including the chief) all left rather than work with/for Allied.

Also, Allied pays their non-partners $30 or $32/unit, while the partners make more than $50/unit. So...bully for the partners?

Allied struggles to hire and retain employees plus their reputation among the local residency programs is so bad that all of this led to them re-opening their "partnership" track. To make matters worse this "partnership" track is 6 years just to get equal scheduling and partner pay/unit...sounds like they're holding back on allowing new shareholders. Not sure how this will help them hire/retain quality people but to each their own...

Allied struggles to hire and retain employees plus their reputation among the local residency programs is so bad that all of this led to them re-opening their "partnership" track. To make matters worse this "partnership" track is 6 years just to get equal scheduling and partner pay/unit...sounds like they're holding back on allowing new shareholders. Not sure how this will help them hire/retain quality people but to each their own...

I've heard from people who talked to Allied as recently as this year with no word of a true partnership track. More of a "eventually you'll get something... possibly..." All employees from what I heard.

To OP, how long is your "partnership" track like?

I've heard from people who talked to Allied as recently as this year with no word of a true partnership track. More of a "eventually you'll get something... possibly..." All employees from what I heard.

To OP, how long is your "partnership" track like?

It’s 6.

Six years? Come on.

Here's a pretty good example of why private practices are dying. There's no way that with a 6-year partnership track they are going to get any experienced recruits--not even the marginal ones will want to sign on for that.

Fine, you might say, they'll just get docs straight out of training. But Kaiser is offering a much better deal, especially for new graduates who can vest their pensions for the rest of their lives. So now Allied has a system in place to make sure that they only get the residents that Kaiser didn't want. Or, they'll employ the young graduates only until Kaiser calls them up into the big leagues. Hell, even Somnia and Envision are likely to be more attractive to a new graduate than Allied.

Seriously, Allied, cut it out. I am as anti-AMC as they come, but when this is how "physician-only" groups treat other physicians, I can't help but think that doctors are the stupidest businessmen in existence. No wonder Emcare, Envision, Somnia, CEP, NAPA, and all the rest can beat us at our own game.

Reactions: 16 users
I'm just gonna chime in to give another warning about Allied.

I spoke with them and simply could not get a straight answer about how cases, call positions, weekend calls, or vacation weeks are assigned (though they did confess that partners choose vacation weeks first, and they are looking for non-partners who are hungry to pick up the weekend calls). They mentioned a unique "call system" where only shareholders (partners) get to be "#1 on the schedule," which means only shareholders pick their rooms, and the #1 scheduled guy gets to leave after the assigned cases, and then #2 takes over the night's call obligations--without having the luxury of having picked the day's cases. The details all changed with each person I spoke with (even the top dog, P. Chu), but they all managed to give flavors of the following: "the partners get the cream, you will take what we give you and be happy about it."

Thanks, but no.

While they were also very cagey about how long until partnership and what goes into partnership, they were unanimous in their position that "Partnership is not guaranteed."

Reactions: 8 users
While they were also very cagey

That was my experience exactly when I talked to them as a CA-3, and even then I could tell they were bad news.

Given their location, it should be easy for these guys to recruit good applicants from all the local residency programs (there’s 6 with a 75 mile radius). The fact that they have to advertise on SDN (or at all for that matter) is a big red flag.

Reactions: 2 users
The OP of that post seemed to think Allied was among the least bad. Even if he was a shill (which is possible), that's still encouraging, if he's willing to go to bat for his group (if "least bad" is a compliment).

I'm the OP of that other post. I wasn't so much "going to bat" for Allied as I was saying that since they weren't an AMC nor did they employ CRNAs that they were "less bad" than the others.

I didn't know that their partnership track was seven years at some hospitals and six at others. That sucks.
I didn't know that they are phasing out partnership the track. That sucks.
I didn't know that only the partners get to choose their rooms. That sucks.
I didn't know that they offered absolutely no benefits. I think that sucks, but some people prefer the 1099 route.

I did know that they are a bunch of weak-kneed, spineless suckups...and they are clearly trying to recruit more tools. ("Willing to be active in hospital committees and to take up leadership positions" is code for: give in unconditionally to administrative demands; sit in meetings with a shameless, mindless grin, nodding in agreement to every asinine policy or updated form; never make waves or stand up to surgeons or administrators.)

Being a tool isn't, by itself, a bad thing...and I credit Lynnus for making his expectations apparent. But the appeal of private practice used to be that it was a place where ambitious, skilled, thoughtful anesthesiologists with an entrepreneurial bent could go and use talents, innovation, and a gift for persuasion to build a thriving practice that kept the anesthesiologists happy, the patients safe, and the surgeons/administrators placated. Anymore, groups like Allied seem happy to shoulder all of the liability of terrible hospital policies while getting worse and worse compensation with each successive "negotiation."

Reactions: 1 user
The last hospital they "took over" was a tiny little Tenet facility circling the drain. The contract was offered to Allied only after Envision passed on it. I don't think Envision has ever passed on a contract. Ever. The top three guys (including the chief) all left rather than work with/for Allied.

If what they are saying over at After watching Somnia screw up Long Beach, Bakersfield, and Fresno, Envision says, "Hold my beer." is accurate, then Allied lost the "tiny little hospital circling the drain" to Envision.

That hospital was/is clearly Placentia Linda. I'm not sure it qualifies as a hospital anymore. Last I heard, they were branding themselves as "Placentia Linda Gasteroenterology Center (and adjacent ER)." I'm being mostly serious.

Even at that, Allied couldn't make it work. Now, I'm no Allied apologist...but it's clear that Tenet is the problem here, not the anesthesiologists.

But, there's no way that one of the worst hospital owners coupling with one of the worst anesthesia management companies ends up with anything but a total and unmitigated disaster for all the patients (and surgeons).

I thought it was bad news for Orange County when NAPA partnered with the charlatans over Orange Global. But Envision joining forces with Tenet might produce a vortex of suck that might make Prime Healthcare only the second worst system in the state.

Reactions: 2 users