Orascoptic vs Designs for Vision vs Q Optics vs Surgitel vs other loupes companies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you decide what loupes to order for first year of dental school? Which factors did you consider? Are you happy with your choice, or what would you have done instead if you could go back?

I am pretty confident that whichever company I end up going with, I will go for the 3.5x prismatic/expanded field option, unless enough people can come up with compelling reasons otherwise. I don't need to fall for the marketing strategy of first starting with 2.5x to get used to loupes, then upgrading magnification. I hear that people who start out ordering the 2.5x often end up regretting it once they get to clinic, and the only way they could upgrade magnification is by buying a second pair of loupes.

Members don't see this ad.

My school contracted with Orascoptic, so I got those to start. We didn't have the option to pick magnification and had 2.5. definitely not enough. I wanted more from the beginning, and four months ago I bought a sweet new setup. I stayed with Orascoptic because if ease, but they also were the only people to have what I wanted (3-5x mag in one, cordless light with batteries in back instead of front).

I would probably hit up DFV, Orascoptic, QOptics. Surgirel maybe, and eh on Zeiss (just from what I've heard around, but some people have and love them). Basically, ask to meet with as many reps as possible and see who will give you the best deal.

I highly recommend coordless light with a minimum of 6hrs life on a battery if possible (what I have). That said, if your nose drives you nuts when you wear glasses and loupes, I don't recommend front mounted batteries (why I didn't go that route).

I also agree with at least 3.5x. had I not gone with the 3x-5x I would have gone 4.5x flat prismatic.

My school contracted with Orascoptic, so I got those to start. We didn't have the option to pick magnification and had 2.5. definitely not enough. I wanted more from the beginning, and four months ago I bought a sweet new setup. I stayed with Orascoptic because if ease, but they also were the only people to have what I wanted (3-5x mag in one, cordless light with batteries in back instead of front).

I would probably hit up DFV, Orascoptic, QOptics. Surgirel maybe, and eh on Zeiss (just from what I've heard around, but some people have and love them). Basically, ask to meet with as many reps as possible and see who will give you the best deal.

I highly recommend coordless light with a minimum of 6hrs life on a battery if possible (what I have). That said, if your nose drives you nuts when you wear glasses and loupes, I don't recommend front mounted batteries (why I didn't go that route).

I also agree with at least 3.5x. had I not gone with the 3x-5x I would have gone 4.5x flat prismatic.
So you like the Eyezoom? That's like $2700 for the loupes alone with student pricing. You would say 4.5x is more useful for practice than 3.5x?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have the Orascoptic eyezooms and I can literally see the entire arch on 5x mag. I’ve seen posts saying you can’t see as many teeth at high mag but you definitely can and at higher detail. I like being able to use 3x sometimes but after the first while in operative I found myself staying on 5x most of the time. I feel it helps a lot for details, class II, crown preps, and anything else that’s normally hard to get a good look at. Yeah they’re expensive, but they’re less expensive than starting with a 3.0 pair and then buying 4.5s before graduating and losing your discount like I know a lot of people do. I’ve also seen multiple posts on here where people say that when they bought their second pair in higher mag, they can never go back cause they like it so much more. Loupes only cost a fraction of what all your practice equipment will cost later and can definitely have a direct effect on the quality of your work.

Reactions: 1 user
So you like the Eyezoom? That's like $2700 for the loupes alone with student pricing. You would say 4.5x is more useful for practice than 3.5x?
I love them. Admittedly, my set up, with the XV1 frame, cost around $4k with the student discount. I then got the frames refurbished so down to 3k, then the military covers an additional $1400, so I got the whole thing for $1600.

And yeah, 4.5x is better IMO, having worked with 2.5, 3, 4, and 5. I only use 3 for prophys and 5 for Endo. Most other restorative is 4. I just like having all 3, but if I went just straight mag, I'd go 4.5 for sure.

I also have the Orascoptic eyezooms and I can literally see the entire arch on 5x mag. I’ve seen posts saying you can’t see as many teeth at high mag but you definitely can and at higher detail. I like being able to use 3x sometimes but after the first while in operative I found myself staying on 5x most of the time. I feel it helps a lot for details, class II, crown preps, and anything else that’s normally hard to get a good look at. Yeah they’re expensive, but they’re less expensive than starting with a 3.0 pair and then buying 4.5s before graduating and losing your discount like I know a lot of people do. I’ve also seen multiple posts on here where people say that when they bought their second pair in higher mag, they can never go back cause they like it so much more. Loupes only cost a fraction of what all your practice equipment will cost later and can definitely have a direct effect on the quality of your work.
I love them. Admittedly, my set up, with the XV1 frame, cost around $4k with the student discount. I then got the frames refurbished so down to 3k, then the military covers an additional $1400, so I got the whole thing for $1600.

And yeah, 4.5x is better IMO, having worked with 2.5, 3, 4, and 5. I only use 3 for prophys and 5 for Endo. Most other restorative is 4. I just like having all 3, but if I went just straight mag, I'd go 4.5 for sure.
How did you guys feel about Orascoptic's customer service when you needed them to help out with something? It seems like a lot of people complain about this aspect of them, although I think people will always find something to complain about for any of the companies.

Is it difficult to get used to the 4x or higher magnification as a first time loupes user? Also, do you feel that having a backup pair of loupes is necessary?

I’ve found threads where “a lot of people
complain” about the customer service about all 4 main brands, and where multiple people agree that each one has better customer service than all the others. They adjusted my working distance a couple weeks outside of their normal period, and were super accommodating when I ended up having to change the delivery address twice due to some weird timing and had like a 1.5 week turnaround. No problems at all in my limited experience.

You will have to get used to wearing loupes and looking through them for the first couple days. There is no getting used to a higher mag. I could use any mag just as easily from the first week I had them, I really think this just a weird myth.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @ab117 . Everyone has a bad experience with every company.

Personally, my rep has been amazing and I've only had good experiences. I know that can change based on location and personnel though.

Same with the magnification though. I think working through loupes in general (getting your head to sit still, working though the lenses then switching to outside the lenses, field of view, etc) is an adjustment then after that it's all the same. Regardless of magnification.

And no, you don't need a backup pair IMO.

I have DFV 3.5 standard field. They are fine and I can get along with them.

I recently tried a pair of my classmate's Orascoptic 3-5x that BluntForceTrauma is referring to. There was a pretty drastic difference. They were much more clear at 3x than my 3.5x and then having the ability to go to 4x and 5x was awesome. The cordless battery is nice, but you could save some money by not going with that frame if you needed to and you'd still have the main benefits of the Orascoptic.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if there was any difference in resolution of 3.5x (standalone) and 3-4-5x convertible lenses. In the demonstration I found 3.5x to be having better resolution but I’m not sure about it. Please guide regarding the same. Thank you.

Hello,
Thank you for the answer. I was wondering if there was any difference in resolution of 3.5x (standalone) and 3-4-5x convertible lenses. In the demonstration I found 3.5x to be having better resolution but I’m not sure about it. Please guide regarding the same. Thank you.

Just bought what everyone else was. They were Orascoptic TTL. I also got a Surgitel pair for free 3rd year of dental school. I still use both to this day 12 years later.

i bought orascoptic and last week, my prosth prof asked me which brand i had because the light was just SO good. and it's only the basic light. 100% will buy again. also, i do not feel like you need anything more than 2.5x in dental school... i only use mine in operative and fixed (maybe endo for cavity access when i feel like it) and it's more than enough.