Order for practice MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richter915

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I have a bunch of practice mcats at my disposal...what would u guys suggest is the best order for taking them. I have 11 kaplan and 8 AAMC. I've already taken Kaplan 1 and 2 and AAMC 3 and 8. I take one exam a week about and my mcat is scheduled for may 31. How should i spread out my remaining 15 tests? Is it better I take AAMCs first or Kaplan or mix it up?

Members don't see this ad.

I had posted the same question earlier this week. People told me to leave the few last AAMC exams (8-10) for a week or two before the real exam because they are the most representative of your real score. So good that you took the 3r just to set a base. Take the kaplan FLs earlier in your prep to gauge performance, but dont take them towards the end because they are harder than the real deal and might discourage and depress you. good luck.

I had posted the same question earlier this week. People told me to leave the few last AAMC exams (8-10) for a week or two before the real exam because they are the most representative of your real score. So good that you took the 3r just to set a base. Take the kaplan FLs earlier in your prep to gauge performance, but dont take them towards the end because they are harder than the real deal and might discourage and depress you. good luck.
See, i was planning on doing the exact opposite. On the three FL kaplan's I've taken so far I got a 31, 36, and 32. On the other hand, On the two AAMC's i've taken, I got a 30 and 28. I was thinking of using up my AAMCs early so I can see where I'm weak most.

I took my first AAMC after doing KAPLAN and did far worse than on my KAPLANS (same range as you mentioned).... Why was this happening? I was overthinking. From then on I went with K.I.S.S.... Keep it simple stupid. If I was choosing b/w two choices, I went with the more obvious one (right on AAMC) and not the more clever one (right on KAPLAN)...

If you're doing well on KAPLAN's tests you've undoubtedly learned to think extremely critically, which is great. To do well on the real test, I think you may need to realize that even the hardest AAMCs questions are less tricky than a medium KAPLAN... you may be over thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my first AAMC after doing KAPLAN and did far worse than on my KAPLANS (same range as you mentioned).... Why was this happening? I was overthinking. From then on I went with K.I.S.S.... Keep it simple stupid. If I was choosing b/w two choices, I went with the more obvious one (right on AAMC) and not the more clever one (right on KAPLAN)...

If you're doing well on KAPLAN's tests you've undoubtedly learned to think extremely critically, which is great. To do well on the real test, I think you may need to realize that even the hardest AAMCs questions are less tricky than a medium KAPLAN... you may be over thinking.

You hit the nail on the head when comparing Kaplans to AAMC tests. Couldnt agree more. However I score higher on AAMC exams. ( which is good I hope)

Yeah definitely. Now I'm doing much much better on AAMCs (high 30s). Of course this is my second time around-- I wish I had figured this out sooner! (Better late than never)