Order of importance for med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually who says it has to be a physician that discovers the cure for cancer? I agree people need to be smart and possess interpersonal skills but let's not pretend like all (or even most) pre-meds are messed up and can't communicate effectively. This may be hard to accept, but you're not the only one with a normal personality and it will not give you as big a boost as you think. You will not be interviewing with blocks of wood.

The sound you're now hearing is the groaning of SDN at you self-declaring how you are so much better with your awwwweeeeesome personality. I think your personality is great too, especially the part where you like to look down on people. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

I disagree here. IMO, MCAT > GPA. If you have an easy major and you take the bare minimum of pre-reqs you might have a 4.0 but the MCAT is the great equalizer. Nothing will change the fact that you scored better than 95% of the population when you took the exam, but the GPA is subject to inflation and what not. Of course I understand why you say MCAT is less important since your GPA is higher. That's cool and you may well be right, but I tend to place more value/emphasis on things that are standardized, i.e. the MCAT.
Woah, easy there Iceman.
I'm starting to wonder if its really..

1) MCAT
2) GPA
3) EC's

and not the other way around. I've seen a lot of friends with over 3.9s and 33+ get in to only 1 of their 20 applied schools because they laked in ECs. What about the kids who have like 3.4's and 30's and get into multiple schools since they went to Africa? Sometimes I think NO ONE knows what the hell they pick on exactly

I tend to find it humorous that examples cited don't put really bad gpa's into the equation, but ok gpa's.

Baisically, this is a completely hopeless exercise.

The interesting point is, we invest a tremendous amount of time and energy into the med school app process, and, as a result, a lot of people want some guidance, from the people who make the decisions, about where to focus all the work we do.

That this process, which is entirely supported by the public / tax-payers, isnt more transparent - is a huge cost to us, without any benifit i can see.
Well, if they gave that to us, then the next application cycle will have adcoms focusing on things outside of what they mentioned because what they previously stated is now everyone and so ho-hum boring.

Members don't see this ad.

"But CBRONZ some ppl get nervous and hAvE a BAd dAy TaKiN da test!!!!!!!!"

LOL!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's:
1. MCAT - THE GREAT EQUALIZER!!! and gets you past initial screen

Keep dreamin', dude.

Even a monster MCAT score can leave you with 16 rejections if you have major deficiencies elsewhere.

Last edited:
keep dreamin', dude.

Even a monster mcat score can leave you with 16 rejections if you don't have major deficiencies elsewhere.

qft.

And I know it's truth, because it happened to me.

The application process isn't supported by the tax-payers, where'd you get that idea?

i guess not directly, but the whole medical system is made possible by liscensing and state regualtion, and their access to that is where med schools derive their value from ... plus i think all medschools are also subsidized by government ...

Keep dreamin', dude.

Even a monster MCAT score can leave you with 16 rejections if you don't have major deficiencies elsewhere.

So I guess your point is, even if we get a killer MCAT and our app has no deficiencies elsewhere we are still screwed. Good to know! :thumbup: :confused:

Woah, easy there Iceman.

I tend to find it humorous that examples cited don't put really bad gpa's into the equation, but ok gpa's.

Well, if they gave that to us, then the next application cycle will have adcoms focusing on things outside of what they mentioned because what they previously stated is now everyone and so ho-hum boring.

not everyone is going to have a 40 MCAT.

Define QFT? :confused:

So I guess your point is, even if we get a killer MCAT and our app has no deficiencies elsewhere we are still screwed. Good to know! :thumbup: :confused:

I agree with what you're implying here. Ever since high school I wanted to plan for med school, so I made a promise that in undergrad, I would try to be the best I can be. If it turns out that my potential leads me to killer grades, MCAT score, and awesome EC's, should I really be rejected because I'm too "perfect?"

Who ever said that excessive reaping of fruits because of excessive effort could be a bad thing?

But bro the point is that the person cracked under the pressure during MCAT...something that is not even life or death like surgery. Why should the adcoms be so forgiving? What if you are nervous on your biochem final and don't get the grade you want..should the prof give you an A just because you were nervous and messed up?

I wouldn't say getting a 29 means you cracked under pressure, but you didn't perform as well as you probably could have. It's a bit of a stretch to say that that person will habitually crack under pressure in life-or-death situations. Handling yourself under pressure is a learnable skill, not a fixed personality trait.

MAJOR

The point is that lack of major deficiencies + Killer MCAT != acceptance

Your deficiencies can still land you rejections

Define QFT? :confused:

quantum field theory provides a theoretical framework for constructing quantum mechanical models of systems classically described by fields or of many-body systems. It is widely used in particle physics and condensed matter physics.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hahaha. Whoops.

I meant either "don't have the full package" or "have deficiencies elsewhere"

Too much vacation...

MAJOR

The point is that lack of major deficiencies + Killer MCAT != acceptance

Your deficiencies can still land you rejections

Alright my fault, it just sounds like he is saying that even with no major deficiencies, if you have a killer MCAT you can still get rejections, so:

lack of major deficiencies + killer MCAT = 16 rejections....?

I have really poor reading comprehension, no joke, so I really hope GPA is worth more, but hey...:xf:

quantum field theory provides a theoretical framework for constructing quantum mechanical models of systems classically described by fields or of many-body systems. It is widely used in particle physics and condensed matter physics.

And so the reason for saying QFT in earlier posts is because....?

:confused:

Alright my fault, it just sounds like he is saying that even with no major deficiencies, if you have a killer MCAT you can still get rejections, so:

I have really poor reading comprehension, no joke, so I really hope GPA is worth more, but hey...:xf:

Nah dude. Typo.

However, the accidental meaning, i.e. "nothing is a sure thing," is also true.

I think he meant it the other way around (deficiencies can still sink you), but don't forget that a number of schools are fit-happy.

Maybe the 16 rejections is rash, but it's plausible

worst case scenario:

3.3 gpa + 40Q MCAT

applied to

ALL non-oos friendly medical schools
lived in Indiana and applied there
and applied to top 10 ivy league/top tier schools

I'd see 16 rejections easily:smuggrin:

funny-pictures-squirrels-have-discovered-coffee.jpg

Hell yeh! I have a high MCAT! I always though I needed at least a 36 to get credit on this site.

31Q FTW.
So you have 1 post to support your argument?:smuggrin:

jk

Maybe the 16 rejections is rash, but it's plausible

worst case scenario:

3.3 gpa + 40Q MCAT

applied to

ALL non-oos friendly medical schools
lived in Indiana and applied there
and applied to top 10 ivy league/top tier schools

I'd see 16 rejections easily:smuggrin:

Haha. Nah.

3.6 (HYP), 39R, OOS-friendly schools.

2 pre-secondary, 14 post-secondary negs.

you are basically saying transparencey is impossible. i dont think it is - it just means applicants' qualifications will become higher, especially those things that not everyone can do (like get a good score on a curved standardized test)

you are basically saying transparencey is impossible. i dont think it is - it just means applicants' qualifications will become higher, especially those things that not everyone can do (like get a good score a curved standardized test)

I understand now. But how does one become more "qualified" than another individual if the original claim - 30 mcat and 3.6 gpa are what you need - aren't really true and someone with those qualifications isn't more qualified than someone with a 27 mcat and 3.2 gpa but with, say, a self-sacrificing lifestyle constantly devoted towards helping kids and animals. But then everyone does that with 30mcat and 3.6 gpa but then someone with a 27 mcat and 3.2 gpa bests those guys by just writing a book about life. Then someone does the 30 mcat/3.6 and writes a book and self sacrifices and is outed again by someone with a 27/3.2 that kills someone. Then you have the 303/3.6 crowd committing suicide because they don't get it

you are basically saying transparencey is impossible. i dont think it is - it just means applicants' qualifications will become higher, especially those things that not everyone can do (like get a good score on a curved standardized test)

spelling fail.

fail-duck-writing1.jpg

I've been looking for an excuse to post this. I think its halarious.

I understand now. But how does one become more "qualified" than another individual if the original claim - 30 mcat and 3.6 gpa are what you need - aren't really true and someone with those qualifications isn't more qualified than someone with a 27 mcat and 3.2 gpa but with, say, a self-sacrificing lifestyle constantly devoted towards helping kids and animals. But then everyone does that with 30mcat and 3.6 gpa but then someone with a 27 mcat and 3.2 gpa bests those guys by just writing a book about life. Then someone does the 30 mcat/3.6 and writes a book and self sacrifices and is outed again by someone with a 27/3.2 that kills someone. Then you have the 303/3.6 crowd committing suicide because they don't get it

:confused:

I read that too, but got lost by-

"But then everyone does that with 30mcat and 3.6 gpa but then someone with a 27 mcat and 3.2 gpa bests those guys by just writing a book about life. Then someone does the 30 mcat/3.6 and writes a book and self sacrifices and is outed again by someone with a 27/3.2 that kills someone. Then you have the 303/3.6 crowd committing suicide because they don't get it"

:(

wow, im sorry, i dont understand (i think im getting the coffee squirell pic now). id like to though ...

Last edited by a moderator:
My GPA, BCPM, MCAT, and research were all pretty good and I haven't gotten in anywhere. There's much more to it than that, guys. I think EC's, whatever they are, that set you apart from other pre-meds, are more important in AdComs eyes than everything else.

Let's get this straight.

Killing people is bad. The 50 rejections from medical school you will receive... will be the least of your problems.

Let's get this straight.

Killing people is bad. The 50 rejections from medical school you will receive... will be the least of your problems.

You forgot something about suicide...:confused: