Orders anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigNavyPedsGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm supposed to report for my internship in less than 2 months and I still don't have any orders. I appreciate all of the advice of people telling us how to plan our move months in advance, but I can't do that without orders.

I'm not alone here right? Is it normal for them to take this long?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my orders back in January. I set up a meeting with the Travel Management Office yesterday, and they said appointments for a late May move were filling up.

I'd definitely look into it.

I just spoke to CDR McLean about this a week ago. He said they were in the process of writing up all of the orders and they will be sent out soon.

Edit: I have had so many tests in the last couple weeks that I have lost track of time. He actually told me that several weeks ago. Sorry for the mix up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke to CDR McLean about this a week ago. He said they were in the process of writing up all of the orders and they will be sent out soon.

So I guess it's just the Navy that sucks this time. . . .

Navy has a history of doing this. I got my first set coming out of med school 2 weeks before I started internship. I had to do a complete DITY move which was a pain in the ass.

Their response:

Ensign Miller, I have been in contact with BUPERS regarding orders and this year there is a new ‘order-glitch’ so to speak, in that inactive reserve officers have to be scrolled (which is a list of which our students are on, that have to have presidential approval to commission them to active lieutenants), something we have no control over.

Originally in the Group E-mail and selection letter in January, I did say by 1 April, however timelines in the military are fluid. Things change day to day, moment to moment.

Per BUPERS, you should have them shortly but by mid month at the latest. Please be patient, you'll get them in due time.

Joe

Get used to the common theme, BUPERS. I'm in memphis, twenty minutes away from that clown car of detailers at Millington. Those jokers control your life, and only process stuff quickly when financially advantageous for them. That's how I got my last resignation pushed through in about six weeks, vice the nine months you are supposed to put it in. My best advice with these clowns, befriend all the MSC people, cause maybe they are going to get stationed there and control your destiny. My department head went there when I was on the boat, and let me tell you, that is a hook to have. When I was trying to either go to USUHS or another school, the department head detailer who should be handling me was completely useless. His line of thinking, if you aren't going dept head, why should I help you. I got in touch with the junior officer (JO) shore detailer and he was much much much more helping. Guess a guy who hadn't had enough kool-aid could at least fake empathy. Guess which one could pass a standardized patient. Much cynacism here, much empathy.

On a related note, also have to factor in some other things. No budget, guess what, that means everyone, especially Navy and Air Force (taking biggest OIF funding hits to divert money to Marines and Army) don't want to pay for PCS moves. So they will delay as long as possible. Once again, maybe conspiraracy cynacism talking, but I wouldn't be surprised.

This really blows. I don't have my orders either and McLean told me "2 weeks" about 2 weeks ago...If the moving orders at the end of May are filling up, I'm screwed cause I graduate mid-May and will be gone.

Hey, to look on the bright side, they have to pay you O-3 once you graduate, yet they haven't told you where to go. They do have to pay your PCS move, plus factor in proceed for your report date. However, this does open up the possibility of getting orders Friday for reporting on Monday or Tuesday, so you still have to schedule your move, negotiate with your command for the time off to go observe them packing up stuff, get time off for delivery of stuff (after finding a place on your off time).

You state you are Navy HPSP, did you get Balboa? In which case, you don't get a move if you are at UCSD. Which also probably factored into why you got Balboa.

My bad, saw the USCD, not the Creighton MD stuff. Yeah, I guess you need to move.

No kidding, this is annoying. I'm selling my house and I don't know when to close. I have to report June8 (friggin' long orientation). My original goal was to have them pack up my stuff around 26 May and make my way out to SD via my aunt's cabin in Colorado. And get there about 30 May

That way when it took them a while to get my stuff there I didn't care. But now I don't even know how to set a closing date, b/c I don't know if they can pack up my stuff before then. . . .

Hey, to look on the bright side, they have to pay you O-3 once you graduate, yet they haven't told you where to go. They do have to pay your PCS move, plus factor in proceed for your report date. However, this does open up the possibility of getting orders Friday for reporting on Monday or Tuesday, so you still have to schedule your move, negotiate with your command for the time off to go observe them packing up stuff, get time off for delivery of stuff (after finding a place on your off time).

You state you are Navy HPSP, did you get Balboa? In which case, you don't get a move if you are at UCSD. Which also probably factored into why you got Balboa.

You don't start getting paid until you check in.(and your stipend stops at graduation) No proceed time is authorized when it is your first duty station.

No kidding, this is annoying. I'm selling my house and I don't know when to close. I have to report June8 (friggin' long orientation). My original goal was to have them pack up my stuff around 26 May and make my way out to SD via my aunt's cabin in Colorado. And get there about 30 May

That way when it took them a while to get my stuff there I didn't care. But now I don't even know how to set a closing date, b/c I don't know if they can pack up my stuff before then. . . .

I guess we are in the same boat BigNavyPeds, this is getting annoying, I was planning on a nice vacation before orientation, if I have to wait around Omaha after graduation for someone to move my stuff (not to say the extra expenses of staying in the area) instead of hiking in Yellowstone, I'll be pissed. I just emailed McLean about the orders but probably won't learn anything new though....

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to my GME coordinator today about the orders and she said so far she has only received 2 out of the 8 orders she suppose to have.

I hope they come soon before all the moving appointment fill up. I don't want to fork out thousands of dollars to move my family from the west to east coast.

Just to update, got my orders today:thumbup: . I immediately tried to call the Naval Supply Systems Command for moving and although they are open until 5:00 pm, I get the answering machine. Anyone have another number other than 1-800-444-7789? Thanks!

Just to update, got my orders today:thumbup: . I immediately tried to call the Naval Supply Systems Command for moving and although they are open until 5:00 pm, I get the answering machine. Anyone have another number other than 1-800-444-7789? Thanks!

Did they come via e-mail? If so, I'm still up a creek for now . . . :mad:

Now you understand the joy of the acronym "FIGMO"

as in "F*** it! Got my orders!!"

'till you've got the orders in your hot little hand, ignore everything anybody tell you; because it doesn't mean anything until it's written down (and sometimes they'll even issue amended orders).

I tried this AM and I still get an answering machine. Anyone whose already scheduled a move recently know any other numbers for contacting Naval Supply Systems Command to get the nearest Personal Property Office?

I tried this AM and I still get an answering machine. Anyone whose already scheduled a move recently know any other numbers for contacting Naval Supply Systems Command to get the nearest Personal Property Office?

Have you tried completing the online SMART Web Move?
http://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/
It may not work for you depending on your location. It'll say whether it services your location when you enter your zip code within the first couple of pages of the application.

If that doesn't work, here's a list of PPO numbers by locations:
http://www.smartwebmove.navsup.navy.mil/swm/PPO_Listing.jsp?prevPage=contact

Good Luck!

Well, still no orders here - that means it will be at least the 16th before I get them. That's only two and a half weeks late, and less than 55 days before I report. I'm getting angry.

Got my orders today. Go to the bupers site https://www.bol.navy.mil and see if your orders are there.

My zipcode isn't listed in smartmove so do I go to the nearest military base and setup my move even if it is a different military service?

Got my orders today. Go to the bupers site https://www.bol.navy.mil and see if your orders are there.

My zipcode isn't listed in smartmove so do I go to the nearest military base and setup my move even if it is a different military service?

I think I found them!! I could kiss you mohody - and I don't even know your gender.

Do your orders tell you to go get a physical? Do I actually have to schedule that? Can I develop gallstones or something between now and then?

I think I found them!! I could kiss you mohody - and I don't even know your gender.

"That's a man, baby!"

austin.powers.jpg

Do your orders tell you to go get a physical? Do I actually have to schedule that? Can I develop gallstones or something between now and then?

If your commissioning physical is less than 5 years old (which it should be) you do not need a new one.

Still no orders for me. I emailed and was told that, "most likely, you'll receive your orders by the end of the month". I'm hoping the end of the month they were talking about was April, and not May. Anyone else in the same boat?

Still no orders for me. I emailed and was told that, "most likely, you'll receive your orders by the end of the month". I'm hoping the end of the month they were talking about was April, and not May. Anyone else in the same boat?

Did you try the website posted above? I still haven't recieved my orders from teh crummy NMETC folks but I got my orders off bupers and I've already gone to the local transportation office.

Did you try the website posted above? I still haven't recieved my orders from teh crummy NMETC folks but I got my orders off bupers and I've already gone to the local transportation office.
I have, and when I click on the orders section, all I get is, "Currently, we have no status on your orders. Your orders are not available to BUPERS ACCESS for display."

I've already gotten and filled out all the paperwork for my move, but I can't submit any of it until I have orders.

The BOL website says that I dont exist... Does that mean I can scramble into a civilian residency?

The BOL website says that I dont exist... Does that mean I can scramble into a civilian residency?
Forget that, maybe it's their way of telling you you've been given the coveted pink slip!

Dom Perignon for the house!