Orders for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when we are supposed to receive our new contract and orders for the Army?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to receive our new contract and orders for the Army?

That is the exact question I was going to post this morning. Seems like in years past people didn't get their orders until sometime in April. But I am not certain...

I found this on the Mods website

Guess we get our contract once we get our orders

CONTINUOUS GME TRAINING CONTRACT: Current service agreements for participants in the HPSP, ROTC and USUHS require application for Army FYGME and performance of the year on active duty if selected. In some cases, those desiring to train beyond the FYGME must apply for the additional specialty training. In an effort to facilitate continuity of training, the Army Medical Department will continue, in academic year 2012, their single step selection process beginning at the FYGME level. This process allows a medical student to be considered and selected for a graduate medical education (GME) program leading to specialty board certification in their chosen specialty without having to submit a separate application for post-graduate year level 2 (PGY2) and above training.
The Army offers this continuous training in the specialties of Anesthesiology, Child Neurology, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Neurosurgery, OB-GYN, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Otolaryngology, Pathology, Pediatrics, Physical Medicine, Psychiatry, Radiology (Diagnostic), and Radiation Oncology.

The Army will offer all students who are selected for these designated specialties the option of entering into a contract for the entire duration of their specialty training (continuous training contract) if they have passed all parts of their respective licensing exams. Students may accept the offer of training for the entire length of the residency or indicate their preference to perform only the FYGME with the Army.

- Continuous training contracts will not be issued until AFTER entry onto active duty (with the contingency that students meet the Army's Physical Fitness Test (APFT) and Height/Weight standards upon in-processing with their training facility). If a student, selected to a continuous GME training position, FAILS TO MEET APFT and Height/Weight standards, or does not pass Step III by the start of their PGY-2 year, they will be placed on a leave of absence until they become compliant.

- If the continuous training option is accepted, an individual may still withdraw from the continuous training contract, after beginning FYGME training, if career or personal goals change. The individual may apply for PGY-2 training as long as their withdrawal is accepted and processed by 15 September 2012 otherwise they will begin serving their obligated time as a General Medical Officer (GMO) at the completion of the FYGME.

- If the FYGME only option is selected, the individual may still apply for PGY-2 training according to the standard process or may begin serving their obligated time as a GMO at the completion of the FYGME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone doing army HPSP receive their orders for internship/residency yet? I understand the AF got their orders out months ago (as they should have).

I called the army HPSP office yesterday and it was one of my more comical interactions with DA civilians:

Me: "Hi, Im a 4th year medical student and am calling to find out when we can expect to get our orders to residency. I heard early April and I have not received anything yet. This is tough because I need to enroll in the daycare waiting list on base and they say its 8-12 months wait. They wont let me do it until we have orders"
HPSP: "Oh, you dont have it yet?"
M:"No, is there a timeline when we should expect to get them?"
H:"Do you have AKO?"
M:"Umm, yes."
H:"Well, check it."
M:"Ive checked my AKO email"
H:"Yes, well probably not recently. So check it for your orders"
M:"I have it open right now"
H:"Well, keep checking it"
M:"Does that mean they should be coming soon?"
H:"Yes, keep checking it. Anything else?"
M:"Thanks..."

I called the army HPSP office yesterday and it was one of my more comical interactions with DA civilians:

Me: "Hi, Im a 4th year medical student and am calling to find out when we can expect to get our orders to residency. I heard early April and I have not received anything yet. This is tough because I need to enroll in the daycare waiting list on base and they say its 8-12 months wait. They wont let me do it until we have orders"
HPSP: "Oh, you dont have it yet?"
M:"No, is there a timeline when we should expect to get them?"
H:"Do you have AKO?"
M:"Umm, yes."
H:"Well, check it."
M:"Ive checked my AKO email"
H:"Yes, well probably not recently. So check it for your orders"
M:"I have it open right now"
H:"Well, keep checking it"
M:"Does that mean they should be coming soon?"
H:"Yes, keep checking it. Anything else?"
M:"Thanks..."

That conversation is unreal. Except it is completely believable and exactly what I get every time I try calling that office IF I can actually get someone on the phone. Recently I have called 4 times (no answer), left 2 messages and sent 2 people 6 emails. No response.

That conversation is unreal. Except it is completely believable and exactly what I get every time I try calling that office IF I can actually get someone on the phone. Recently I have called 4 times (no answer), left 2 messages and sent 2 people 6 emails. No response.

Some day, someone will stay in long enough to rise up in the ranks and fire these people up there. "Cutting orders" is pretty much as simple as "cutting" and pasting the information we have given them into templates or some fill in the blank system.

As far as I can tell there are some people there on payroll just adding to our national deficit while providing very poor support service to the force (not unlike many federal workers). But, what do they care, it takes an act of God to be fired from one of those positions.

They would be calling their congressperson if they didn't get their movement orders more than 6 weeks weeks out and here we are reporting beginning of June with no way to coordinate anything until they do their job. Maybe I'll go check AKO again....Nice....there is still nothing in my inbox.

And even if it came tomorrow, it is still unsatisfactory since they have known where we were headed for four months now. It isn't like this is some short notice deployment to combat or something. The orders probably look the same every single year...delete name and SSN....replace....delete 2011...insert 2012... seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got this email from the GME at my residency site regarding the delay in getting our orders out. Hope this means we are going to be getting our orders next week but I'm not holding my breath

there was a glitch at HRC regarding RFOs. We have been told that they
will finally start being published by next week. We have had several calls
and I know that the individuals are getting very anxious. We had the
information to HRC by the first week in March and I do not know what the
exact problem is/was. Yes, they will receive both the RFO and orders via AKO
and we have been telling them to check AKO at least once a day.

Got this email from the GME at my residency site regarding the delay in getting our orders out. Hope this means we are going to be getting our orders next week but I'm not holding my breath

Classic buck pass... they rush us to sign paperwork and threaten loss of our matched position if its not in in time, but when it comes to them publishing orders, its not their fault. They did their part a month ago, probably never follow-up and then realize things are lagging blame it on someone else. GS-9 for life!

Classic buck pass... they rush us to sign paperwork and threaten loss of our matched position if its not in in time, but when it comes to them publishing orders, its not their fault. They did their part a month ago, probably never follow-up and then realize things are lagging blame it on someone else. GS-9 for life!
Yeah, probably but as we are at the ass end of the chain, we just gotta suck it up. Orders should have been published months ago after they got our signed acknowledgement forms.

And yet the Air Force students got their orders months ago. Seems like they would have known we needed orders when we matched back in December...3 months for their submission. Very nice.

The sad thing is that my experiences previously on active duty were nowhere near as bad as this. I guess I should continue to lower my expectations for the medical corps.

Let me make a prediction here....when we finally get our orders they will be dated as though they were completed back in March. So when we go to the transportation office and finance (if asking for an advance) and such it will look as though we just sat around on our orders and are now trying to rush things....

Still nothing. My current lease ends mid-may and I have to get moving to my new place by that time... somehow I think this is going to end up costing me money.

Got this email from HQ a little bit ago. Seems like Friday

FYGME Orders Update:
I was just informed that orders should start coming out Friday of this week. They will be processed by the earliest report date, which means Tripler AMC orders will be processed first. I will make sure you get a copy of your orders via your email address. You will also receive a hard copy by mail. After you receive your orders you can make your travel arrangements and schedule your household goods pickup. If you need help finding a Transportation Office you can call me M-F, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Review your orders carefully and let me know of any errors ASAP. I am not sure why your orders are late and I apologize. I appreciate your patience in this matter.

Friday if you are going to Tripler...followed by Ft. Sam Houston....then everyone else. Likely sometime next week. I was told "if you don't get your orders in the next week or two, give us a call." As though someone would answer....sigh...transportation usually takes a while to get scheduled during the peak season, which is now, so it should be interesting.

Still nothing. My current lease ends mid-may and I have to get moving to my new place by that time... somehow I think this is going to end up costing me money.

It may cost you money up front, but if you plan right you can move your stuff and get reimbursed for the weight provided you do it right.

You should even make a little on top of just making back what you spent.

Additionally you will get a dislocation allowance (about $2,000), per diem each day of 109$ for your travel time (divide the mileage by 350 and that will be how many days they pay you for), plus $0.23/mile that you drive your car.

If anyone gets their orders on Friday. Please let me know if they put your rank as 0-3 and if they authorize you to report early. Thanks!

Last edited:
It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get orders on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to their orders, orders
Friday, Friday
Gettin' orders on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the their orders

It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get orders on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to their orders, orders
Friday, Friday
Gettin' orders on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the their orders

:thumbup:

RFO received about 20 minutes ago. Im a Jun 08 report date. Funny, I did a physical earlier this academic year, but it says mine was last in 2007. Lol. I guess left hand does not talk to right hand. Will be interested to see if my orders reflect prior service and how long it will take to get the orders now.

RFO received about 20 minutes ago. Im a Jun 08 report date. Funny, I did a physical earlier this academic year, but it says mine was last in 2007. Lol. I guess left hand does not talk to right hand. Will be interested to see if my orders reflect prior service and how long it will take to get the orders now.

June 5th report here, still no orders. Love the army.

Got my RFO today. Report date is 6 June. Same situation with physical.

I'm going to Madigan. Got my RFO Monday, but no orders yet. Hoping they come today, since I'm moving in less than a month.

no orders here. I go to school with a guy heading to tripler. still no orders for him either. we both are moving in a few weeks. Will be really bad for him because at this rate his stuff may not arrive in HI until around the time hes starting clinical responsibilities. Thank you GME office for making things awesome as we transition to intern year.

I had told you previously that someone in my class had orders to Tripler, he was mistaken, it was just his RFO. So no orders for anyone in my class. This will be a like a short notice deployment when/if the orders ever show up.

Two individuals in my class got their RFO's who are going to Tripler, I haven't and I'm going to Tripler and no one else in my class who are going to other bases have gotten their RFO's yet. But hey it's only about a month till we have to report to tripler

Got this from Triplers GME office today

I know the incoming Interns are really getting anxious as are we. We
all have spoken to Personnel, to include COL Powers and there is a major
problem on their end. We are all doing everything possible to rectify the
situation and get things moving. The latest that I was told was orders
should start rolling out by Wed.

as was previously mentioned above, I cant wait until they backdate the orders so that when I roll into the transpo office and ask for a pickup a few days later, they will ask me why I have waited to the last minute to schedule the move and say "Sorry, youre SOL".

I called the HPSP office yesterday. I was told to call back today and they *might* know when the orders are coming out. It's something wrong pretty high up, above the main HPSP office.

It's something wrong pretty high up, above the main HPSP office.

Yeah, I think it's called incompetence. Fire them or at least send out an appology email to all of us explaining what is actually going on.

Was told that several officers are working on it and that they will start coming out today. We shall see.

Yeah, I think it's called incompetence. Fire them or at least send out an appology email to all of us explaining what is actually going on.

Was told that several officers are working on it and that they will start coming out today. We shall see.

The <ENTER> button probably broke on someone's keyboard "higher up". There will be no explanation Im sure, just a here you go, drive on.
:love: the military.