OHSU (OOS) vs. UNLV (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMolarTheMarrier

Reaction score
OHSU:
Pros:
• All specialties on campus
• Pass/ fail academics with distinction
• More established program
• Would be the cheapest option if I get the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) scholarship (roughly $346,640 cost of attendance)
• I can start research before first year
• I would like to live In Portland
• Positive and collaborative culture. I feel like I would fit in better.
Cons:
• Would be the most expensive if I did not get the WICHE (Roughly $458,680 cost of attendance) and higher cost of living.

UNLV:
Pros:
• Can get in-state tuition after first Year (roughly $385,954 cost of attendance)
• Closer to Home
• Lower cost of living
• Good class camaraderie and Culture
Cons:
• Does not have all the specialties
• Cannot do research until after first year
• Not sure how it would be living in Vegas
• Felt like it would be a bit less of a fit than OHSU

Summery:
Hello! This cycle I was lucky enough to be accepted to the dental programs at Oregon Health and Science University and the University of Nevada Las Vegas. I am having trouble deciding between the two and I was hoping to get some insight from current students or others who might know a bit about the WICHE and student debt. I believe both programs are great, but I cannot help but to feel a bit more at home with the OHSU program. I am attracted to their grading system, access to specialties, and my impression of the culture and student life. I am interested in specializing after graduating, if that makes a difference. I think UNLV is great too, but I just feel like I would fit in a bit more at OHSU. It would be great to hear the personal perspectives of any current students at either school reading this!

Another big part of my confliction is rooted in tuition costs. I am from Arizona, so I am looking at paying out of state tuition initially, however, I am an applicant for the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) scholarship program. If I was to be selected for the WICHE program, OHSU would be the cheapest option. The only issue here is that this is not a for-sure thing, as last year only one student was funded at OHSU out of the 11 that qualified. Oregon would be my most expensive option if I enrolled with no WICHE. UNLV, on the other hand, offers instate tuition if you establish yourself as a resident after the first year. This is a cheaper option than getting the WICHE for this school, but still more expensive than getting the WICHE at OHSU (by about $29,000 after all four years). The plus side is that I can get this in-state rate pretty easily, and not have to gamble like I would on getting the WICHE. The difference between the worst-case-scenario at OHSU and the in-state tuition at UNLV is about $72,000 after four years. Of course, dental school debt is a very serious thing, but I was hoping to get more insight on all this. Is it worth trying to get the WICHE? Would I be in serious financial trouble if I ended up going to OHSU and not getting the WICHE? I am not extensively educated on loan payment plans besides the basics, so any perspectives would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m generally a risk averse individual so if what you say is accurate (only ~10% receive the WICHE scholarship) then I would pick UNLV. I don’t think I’d take a 10% chance at saving 30k vs. a 90% chance of needing to spend an additional 72k.

With such a big discrepancy in tuition the other aspects of a program (name, experience, location etc) are less meaningful factors for me.

Reactions: 2 users
You do research during your Spring/Summer semester of first year at UNLV if that's something you are worried about.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m generally a risk averse individual so if what you say is accurate (only ~10% receive the WICHE scholarship) then I would pick UNLV. I don’t think I’d take a 10% chance at saving 30k vs. a 90% chance of needing to spend an additional 72k.

With such a big discrepancy in tuition the other aspects of a program (name, experience, location etc) are less meaningful factors for me.
Thank you for the input!