Oregon Health & Sciences University--Early Decision Plan???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reba95

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was curious to know if anyone had knowledge about the early decision plan at OHSU, for instance, does it exist? If so, does anyone know someone who has taken this route? I will call this week (for what it is worth being so close to the holidays) in order to find out what stats are necessary for consideration and post them for anyone interested in the future. I did a search in pre-Allopathic for both EDP and
OHSU, but couldn't find a topic concerning both subjects. Any information would be greatly appreciated as I keep coming back to this school as my top choice (for various personal reasons) after searching medical school after medical school. Thanks again.

reba95

(Actually, I just realized that this is a narrow topic, and being that it is my first one, I will widen it a bit; EDP info on Colorado and Vermont would be welcome as well as I may be moving to any of these states after August. This is a great site, and thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences)

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU does not have an EDP. I believe Vermont does. I am not sure about Colorado. You should look in the new version of the Medical School Aadmission Requirements (MSAR). Good luck :)

Remember that OHSU, U Vermont, and CU are all state schools and put a preference on in-state applicants. If you are a Florida resident, your chances of geting into these schools might be much lower than the Florida state schools. Check MSAR or other resources to find out how many out-of-state applicants are accepted. OHSU takes very few out-of-state applicants. From their web-site:
Applicants are selected for admission regardless of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, color, marital status or disabilities. The School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:

Residents of Oregon.
Nonresidents of Oregon who fit into one or more of the following categories:
Residents of Montana and Wyoming; states that are members of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) and do not have medical schools. Applicants who are residents of WICHE states should request certification for medical training under WICHE from their state certifying officer or agency when they apply to the School of Medicine. The WICHE-supported applicant pays the Oregon resident tuition fee.
Members of underrepresented ethnic/racial groups as defined by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
Those applying to the MD/PhD and MD/MPH combined degree programs.
Applicants with superior achievements such as academics, related experiences, etc.
••

Members don't see this ad :)
While the quote from the OHSU web site is a good one, it has not been updated for some time. If you look a little closer, most of the stats and info from that page is from 1997. Truth is, OHSU is now accepting more out-of-state applicants each year, and, due to lost state funding, they are accepting even more out of staters this application year, and have increased class size from 96 to 103 (or something close). The class that started in 2000 has 30% out of state matriculants, and I heard that the class that started this year has even more. It sounds like next year will be even higher.

Thanks for the new information. It makes me feel a little better since I applied there....