Oregon Health & Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrnotMajestic

Ugly on the inside, too
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other OHSU hopefuls out there? I'm right now in the middle of my "supplemental personal statement" for their secondary, and having a hell of a time. This is my #1 school, and I think I've almost frozen myself motionless. I need to relax and just write.

Anyways, just checking to see if anyone else is applying/already applied/recieved an interview notice. Oh, and does anyone know what percentages of Oregon residents get interviews? I've looked on AMCAS and all I see is applicant/matriculation rates.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a hard time with the secondary also, I am not sure why, maybe because it was so vague. I ultimately just made changes to my autobiography for UCSD. OHSU is intimidating for some reason, I think it has to do with the wanting to get in there so much too. I am instate too, but still apprehensive :(

Applied, application complete as of 8/19. I am an Oregon resident as well. I called them and the first week of interviews is 10/18, so invites should come late September. Everything they do is by snail mail, which makes things slower.

I think that they interview half of the in-staters, with about 60% of the interviewees getting accepted (in-state). OHSU is not my first choice, but it is still a great school in a wonderful city. Good luck :luck: with your essay.

Treg :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great new stats, Treg!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info about interview invites. I'm hoping to squeeze past the next cut-off and get an interview...I know once I get one I can talk my way in. ;)

So just wondering, what did you write about for your OHSU personal statement? Was it a lot like your PS for AMCAS?

It was more of an autobiography, highlighting the events/experiences in my life that are unique or show perseverance.

Treg

Treg said:
It was more of an autobiography, highlighting the events/experiences in my life that are unique or show perseverance.

That is sort of my idea, though I'm a flowing writer (think artsy novelish) so I tend to over-expound with stories and end up toning it down. In fact, considering my stats, I'm convinced I got so many secondaries due to my personal statement and international volunteering. I'm having trouble with a one-page autobiography though...so I'm focusing on one particular EC that really affected me (my overseas trips). Problem is, I talked about them in my AMCAS PS....is it a good idea to do a complete focus for this secondary one? I don't want to limit myself, but I honestly believe that I gained a lot of skills necesarry for medicine by those four overseas trips (I led teams of teens to do construction in third-world countries). Should I broaden my experiences or remain focused? Any suggestions?

Personally, I interpreted the prompt as asking for kind of a summary of the most important experiences and the values that you took away from them. I tried to shy away from sticking to any one item. I ended up picking three topics. I think though that if your trips were THE biggest thing you have to talk about then go with it, stay with your strengths. The question is so open-ended, they're probably expecting people to have different interpretations.

lynnetm said:
Personally, I interpreted the prompt as asking for kind of a summary of the most important experiences and the values that you took away from them. I tried to shy away from sticking to any one item. I ended up picking three topics. I think though that if your trips were THE biggest thing you have to talk about then go with it, stay with your strengths. The question is so open-ended, they're probably expecting people to have different interpretations.

This is what I tried to do this too, but had to go through several drafts because I was concerned that it was too similar to my personal statement. It was tough, but I'm happy with the end result.

SticknRudder said:
This is what I tried to do this too, but had to go through several drafts because I was concerned that it was too similar to my personal statement. It was tough, but I'm happy with the end result.

See, this is my problem. I discussed my trips a bit in my personal statement, but not to the depth I was thinking for the OHSU one. I have decided to broaden the essay a bit, and branch out to other experiences. I just used my overseas trips so much, because they really impacted my life. I was worried about being too narrow though....so I'll just branch out a bit. :)

Has anyone heard back from them yet (if you've sent it in)?

My PS was really focussed on my international experience, so in my secondary I didn't even mention this again but took the time to talk about other things. Even things that initially weren't related to medicine, but i know that they have impacted my life in a way that I can relate to medicine and the patients i will encounter. If you don't feel like you mentioned much about your int'l exp. then go ahead and dig into detail on your secondary, but one page is pretty short!

arierty said:
If you don't feel like you mentioned much about your int'l exp. then go ahead and dig into detail on your secondary, but one page is pretty short!

It's pretty short, and it's pretty long, depending on how I'm feeling. :) I'm just gonna get one draft down, then have people revise it, then retype it out again and then send it in. I really want this to be good, because this is my #1 school....I just don't want to spend SO much time on it, that I send it in later than I should and miss out on early interviews. ARGH!! Sometimes this whole process is a bit unnerving.

:thumbup:Hey Treg, awesome comeback with that 2nd MCAT score. An eleven point improvement is just amazing. Any tips for those of us hoping to tame the MCAT beast in April? How did you alter your approach the second time around? Right now, you are my personal idol, no joke.

arierty said:
I had a hard time with the secondary also, I am not sure why, maybe because it was so vague. I ultimately just made changes to my autobiography for UCSD. OHSU is intimidating for some reason, I think it has to do with the wanting to get in there so much too. I am instate too, but still apprehensive :(

Haha, I feel really good that I did the exact same thing that Ariety did for OHSU's secondary! I was so tired from writing all those essays, so I ended up just taking out 2 sentences from the UCSD essay and sent it out to OHSU. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from out of state and was thinking about applying to Oregon Med schools. Do they look at out-of-staters or do they prefer and choose more Oregon residents?

ChantillyLace said:
I'm from out of state and was thinking about applying to Oregon Med schools. Do they look at out-of-staters or do they prefer and choose more Oregon residents?

They prefer Oregon residents but take about 40% from out of state.

ChantillyLace said:

If you are interested in rural primary care, that gives you an advantage as well.

I'm in state and I'm starting to believe that I've been screened out since I haven't received their secondary application yet. How long will I wait? Crap...i'm going to art school in stead.

lynnetm said:

This is very similar to what I did.

Also, I just got a note in the mail saying my app is complete and is in the process of being reviewed. I guess they are pretty short on staff in the admissions office, which, combined with snail mail, helps explain why they are notoriously slow.

irie said:
I'm in state and I'm starting to believe that I've been screened out since I haven't received their secondary application yet. How long will I wait? Crap...i'm going to art school in stead.

When did you submit AMCAS?? As far as I know, in-state applicants pretty much automatically get a secondary.

OrnotMajestic said:
When did you submit AMCAS?? As far as I know, in-state applicants pretty much automatically get a secondary.

I submitted amcas on the 1st of September or the last day of august. I wonder if hotmail put it in the Spam folder then deleted it automatically. Maybe I'll call 'em and bitch a little.

irie said:
I submitted amcas on the 1st of September or the last day of august. I wonder if hotmail put it in the Spam folder then deleted it automatically. Maybe I'll call 'em and bitch a little.

Secondary comes snail mail, so it wouldn't be in your spam folder.

edit: They send a letter with a URL and password to access the secondary on-line

I submitted mine a couple of weeks ago. I tried something new with this secondary. I listed my personal attributes in a numbered format and wrote a brief paragraph after each one expanding on how I have developed each particular one.

It was a combination of new writing and cut and paste from other secondaries... I hope it's ok. I have to confess I didn't spend nearly as much time on this one as I did on my own state school or even other schools... I'm just frightened by OHSU's cost...

MsEvolution said:
I submitted mine a couple of weeks ago. I tried something new with this secondary. I listed my personal attributes in a numbered format and wrote a brief paragraph after each one expanding on how I have developed each particular one.

It was a combination of new writing and cut and paste from other secondaries... I hope it's ok. I have to confess I didn't spend nearly as much time on this one as I did on my own state school or even other schools... I'm just frightened by OHSU's cost...

I did the exact same thing! That's funny, I thought I was being slightly unique, but I guess the question inspired the same tactics in other people. :laugh:

Hope they like it! :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having trouble with this essay. I have been putting it off forever. Same with Pritzker and Stanford. I actually think I am going to start it now and hopefully finish it today. (Yah right!)

irie said:

It takes them a while (almost a month) to send you a secondary invite, and it's via snail mail. OHSU is a bit behind, apparently. I should be complete there by now, but haven't heard from them. I think I'll call and make sure they got my LORs.

Me too Majestic! The "Due by October 15th" stamp on my secondary letter is freaking me out each day that passes. Gonna hold out a little longer before I bother them :) :eek:

OrnotMajestic said:
It takes them a while (almost a month) to send you a secondary invite, and it's via snail mail. OHSU is a bit behind, apparently. I should be complete there by now, but haven't heard from them. I think I'll call and make sure they got my LORs.

SticknRudder said:
Me too Majestic! The "Due by October 15th" stamp on my secondary letter is freaking me out each day that passes. Gonna hold out a little longer before I bother them :) :eek:

Well, I just called about five minutes ago. They were very nice, and told me that I was indeed complete, and my application is currently under review. :thumbup: I guess that "postcard" they are supposed to send when you are complete has been lost in the mail or something.....

Good luck on finishing up your secondary! I had the hardest time writing that essay, because OHSU is my first choice and I didn't want to screw it up! Now, all I can do is wait. :scared:

Apparently, they enjoy keeping us in cold sweats waiting by the mailbox, wondering if our LOR's indeed made it there safely.

I hope they don't torture us like this with interview invites or acceptance/rejection letters!!