oregon health sciences university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i finally got their secondary. anyway, is it true that non residents are only considered for the md/mph and md/phd programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that what their secondary says? In that case, yes.

No, it's not true. I am an Alaska resident and got invited for an interview last year. Check out this OHSU secondary? thread for more info. It's a good idea to at least scroll through a couple of pages -- this was on page 2 -- and/or do a search before posting questions that have already been asked and answered (sometimes many times over). Best of luck with your application! It's a great school in a great city!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SMW
No, it's not true. I am an Alaska resident and got invited for an interview last year.

I assume OHSU doesn't have the same type of thing as UW where they let in Alaska kids because Alaska has no med schools...

Nope, they don't.

I'm annoyed that I'm guilty of this too, but from now on...let's just go to the source on these issues. Now Alaska is a WICHE state and it doesn't have a medical school, but the program mentioned below is different from Washington's WWAMI. Here's from the OHSU website (http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/admissions/faq.shtml):

What is the residence requirement for OHSU's School of Medicine?

Applicants are selected for admission regardless of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, color, marital status or disabilities. The School of Medicine gives preference to the following applicants:

1. Residents of Oregon.
2. Nonresidents of Oregon who fit into one or more of the following categories:
Residents of Montana and Wyoming; states that are members of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) and do not have medical schools. Applicants who are residents of WICHE states should request certification for medical training under WICHE from their state certifying officer or agency when they apply to the School of Medicine. The WICHE-supported applicant pays the Oregon resident tuition fee.
Members of underrepresented ethnic/racial groups as defined by the Association of American Medical Colleges.
3. Those applying to the MD/PhD and MD/MPH combined degree programs.
4. Applicants with superior achievements such as academics, related experiences, etc.

Now my analysis: So, could you get in here and not be an OR (or WICHE state) resident? Sure, anything's possible. It's also possible you'll get hit by a bus while walking across the street to mail your secondary.

Alaska is not a WICHE state for med school. It is a WWAMI state only. No wonder I didn't get in even though I did get an interview. For the 2000-2001 class they had a a total of 2653 applicants (2379 out-of-state and 274 in-state). Of these 348 (15%) were interviewed (197 out-of-state and 151 in-state). Of these 96 matriculated (32 out-of-state, 64 in-state.). So although they interview a lot of out-of-staters, they take twice as many in-staters.

Wow...you're totally right. Only Montana and Wyoming get special consideration for MD admissions through WICHE. I wish they would be clearer about that! It's really odd too because Alaskans do get special preference for pharmacy, podiatry, dentistry, optometry and a variety of other non-medical fields. I guess you've got plenty of physicians up there.

Nope, we actually have a shortage, especially in internal medicine.

Keep in mind that the 32 "out-of-state" acceptances in the MSAR are largely:

-WICHE
-WWAMI
-MD/PhD
-URM's

If you're from another applicant category, I think you'd need some amazing stats, but i think there are a couple people like that in our class. A dean said that out-of-state tuition is supposed to increase through the next four years, but in-state will slightly too.

I'd highly recommend the MD/PhD program, I think it's in some ways actually easier to get into than the regular program.

the MD/PhD program gets very few applicants (~40 for 5 spots!) and it's generally a weaker applicant pool, so we need more people to apply. [full tuition + fat stipend is nice too!!! ;) ]

u can send the addendum in after u've sent in the current application, but be sure to write a decent mstp essay.

There is no WWAMI at OHSU. That's a UWSOM program to provide medical school slots for the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. But your point is still well-taken.

I have already spent 1200$$$ on secondaries and I dont know if I should invest in OHSU. If SMW couldn't make it there, I surely have no chance even if hell froze over.

What do you think I should do? Make my donation to OHSU anyway? :(

On another note--when do I stop filling secondaries? I am getting worried with all the bills stacking up.

I filled out all my secondaries (although maybe I didn't choose my schools as careully as I should have. Apparently there was very little realistic chance of my getting into OHSU), and went to all my interviews except the very last one. It is a very expensive process, and it only gets more expensive as you start traveling to interviews, but compared to what you'd spend reapplying (God forbid) or will spend going to med school, it's only a drop in the bucket. I don't know what to tell you about OHSU, Tweetie. You do have that research that they might be interested in, right? Which secondaries have you already sent in, and which besides Oregon do you still have left to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you decided yet whether to send this one in, Tweetie?

ya, I've just decided to bite the bullet and send this one in. Shucks, if I get in (AMEN!!) atleast I will be close to home. And Portland is a nice place to live. I have a few left--

Jefferson (where do I find out my SAT scores???? I forgot. :( )
U Pitt (I will do this one cuz I have a killer essay)
Finch (might do that one)
Drexel (might do this one)
Temple (east)
Rush (13 essays..worth the trouble??)
Vermont (yikes!)
Loma Linda (might just apply because it's close to home)
Wright State (does not sound too good after reading about it in SDN)
Boston (they hvae a silly LOR requirement so I may not do it)

Pritzker
U Dub
Creighton
Einstein
Case
GW
Keck
Loyola
MCOW
Meharry
Tulane
U Mich
NYMC
Georgetown
Robert W. Johnson.
Tufts
SLU

28 sounds like a good number! ;) :eek:
No wonder you're wondering when to stop!! 22 almost did me in last year! :)

Tweets,

Why is vermont "yikes?"

ya but I don't wanna do some of them. Like Vermont...or perhaps even Wright State. I think I'm just in debt and burned out.

Originally posted by isidella
Tweets,

Why is vermont "yikes?"
oh, that's just cuz I did NOT like their secondary. Plus I made a few typing mistakes and I simply don't feel like sending that one in. Call me vain. :D Plus it's on the opposite side of the country! Too far from home. :(

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
oh, that's just cuz I did NOT like their secondary. Plus I made a few typing mistakes and I simply don't feel like sending that one in. Call me vain. :D Plus it's on the opposite side of the country! Too far from home. :(

Get some white-out, fix it, and send it in if it's more-or-less finished, Tweetie!! Vermont is an awesome school (it was at the top of my list when I first started interviewing, they eventually waitlisted me), northern states in general are awesome, and you have nothing to lose (and possibly everything to gain) by sending it in! Most med schools are on the opposite side of the country! :D

sigh. ok ok, you convinced me. I know it's a good school. I really needed a kick in the butt for being lazy on this one.

Hey Tweetie,

Did you go to UCLA. The reason that I'm asking is because if you did you could probably access your DPR through URSA where they give you your SAT scores. If not you could try www.ets.org and find it there. I heard there a fee though...hope it helps!

UCLA Paratrooper

ya but I don't wanna do some of them. Like Vermont...or perhaps even Wright State. I think I'm just in debt and burned out.

I think u should apply to UVM Tweetie - i've heard it's a pretty good school, but they aren't that concerned about numbers.

tweetie-
loma linda is near my home too... where are you from?
p

Ya, right now it's a tough call between Vermont and Boston U. I am partial to Boston U because my fiance would have some work opportunities in Boston versus Vermont. :confused: And also between Jefferson and Temple (see another thread I made about Jeff and Temp).

Ya, right now it's a tough call between Vermont and Boston U. I am partial to Boston U because my fiance would have some work opportunities in Boston versus Vermont. :confused: And also between Jefferson and Temple (see another thread I made about Jeff and Temp).

So...Boston U. doesn't have any secondary essay - I'd go for BU. They interview a ton of people too. Remember: it's not random, it's a stochastic process. ;)

Tweetie: if I were you, I would apply to both UVM and BU. Both schools have outstanding reputations, and are located in great places to live. (I personally love the Boston area, although it's definately on the pricey side.)

I also know that Boston has some good teaching hospitals. It would be great to have the chance to do an elective at Mass. general - wow! their facilities are probably some of the best in the country. Good luck!