Oregon State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Puffins

C/O 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else apply to OSU this cycle? :beaver: I've heard great things about the program! The small class size is really appealing to me. I've toured the school before and was really impressed.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied as an oos applicant, it's actually one of my top choice schools! Love the look of some of the research programs there.

Last edited:
I applied as an OOS!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as an OOS too :) I knew there was no thread for OSU! I was looking for it like crazy...yet didn't make one lol :p

I applied! OOS, I was waitlisted last year! Fingers crossed for this year! :)

I applied here as an oos!:)

I am applying as an oos as well, and got a confimation email a few days ago :) so oos students won't have interviews?

I am applying as an oos as well, and got a confimation email a few days ago :) so oos students won't have interviews?
Yep, they just interview IS applicants. Any current students out there to comment on the MMI format?

Yep, they just interview IS applicants. Any current students out there to comment on the MMI format?
Current student here. I can't give a lot of specific info because I signed a nondisclosure agreement and forgot exactly what the agreement included... whether it's only the scenarios I can't talk about, or if they don't want me to give any specific info about how OSU does MMIs. But, I did MMI interviews at several schools, and can say that overall, MMI format interviews are less stressful and intimidating in my opinion, and I quite enjoyed them compared to traditional interviews.

Good luck, all! :)

Current student here. I can't give a lot of specific info because I signed a nondisclosure agreement and forgot exactly what the agreement included... whether it's only the scenarios I can't talk about, or if they don't want me to give any specific info about how OSU does MMIs. But, I did MMI interviews at several schools, and can say that overall, MMI format interviews are less stressful and intimidating in my opinion, and I quite enjoyed them compared to traditional interviews.

Good luck, all! :)
Thank you for your input! I didn't realize there was a nondisclosure agreement. I can add that I was told by admissions staff that they adopted the MMI format because they didn't want to base the success of an interview on how well prepared the applicant was for the interview, ie, how hard they studied the most likely questions to be asked. Instead, they use the MMI format to measure how an applicant can think on their feet, respond to ethical questions, and so forth. I think it sounds really intimidating but I'm glad to hear you think they're less intimidating than traditional interview formats. Thanks!

I applied this year, along with WSU, UCDavis, and my top pick, CSU. Good luck to everyone. I would love to chat more on here with you all, going through this alone... So the support and community is nice!

I applied this year, along with WSU, UCDavis, and my top pick, CSU. Good luck to everyone. I would love to chat more on here with you all, going through this alone... So the support and community is nice!
First time applying??? Sit tight...try to be patient and keep your focus on school or a hobby or a book or anything!! The anxious waiting game begins....you'll jump at every email sound! At least for the rest of October and some of November just relax and try not to think about admissions!! It's much easier said than done! But just try to keep busy! And we're all here if you start crackin' with anxiety! :) because as second, third, fourth....whatever year applicants, we've all been there! :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is my first time applying!!! I'll hear back from CSU on the dual degree program first (now till mid Nov) and the rest before January... Typically do schools email you then, or call or mail?

Yes it is my first time applying!!! I'll hear back from CSU on the dual degree program first (now till mid Nov) and the rest before January... Typically do schools email you then, or call or mail?
From my experience, most email....or update their online portal, WSU last year was portal update first then snail mail letter inviting me to interview. And OSU in mid November (i think) emailed and let me know that I have been added to waitlist, I'm OOS so no interview. Last year mid November my friend got her rejection from Davis, I think via email or portal check.

From my experience, most email....or update their online portal, WSU last year was portal update first then snail mail letter inviting me to interview. And OSU in mid November (i think) emailed and let me know that I have been added to waitlist, I'm OOS so no interview. Last year mid November my friend got her rejection from Davis, I think via email or portal check.
Two schools I applied to won't interview me..... CSU won't interview in state and OSU won't interview OOS :( Not sure yet if that is good or bad? However, I am trying to find out info about CSU's DVM/PhD program as I hear they do interview. However, there are not too many stats or threads out there on these programs, I've read them all lol! Is this your second time applying Hollista?

Thank you for your input! I didn't realize there was a nondisclosure agreement. I can add that I was told by admissions staff that they adopted the MMI format because they didn't want to base the success of an interview on how well prepared the applicant was for the interview, ie, how hard they studied the most likely questions to be asked. Instead, they use the MMI format to measure how an applicant can think on their feet, respond to ethical questions, and so forth. I think it sounds really intimidating but I'm glad to hear you think they're less intimidating than traditional interview formats. Thanks!
Yeah, I think that's why schools don't want us to tell future interviewees much about MMI, because the point is that you're not prepared for it. Some schools really like it because it levels the field a bit, and makes it easier to judge someone's character without people having any advantage from different backgrounds.
OSU emailed last year. UCD updated their portal last year, and I got an automatically-generated email that said "new message in portal" or something to let me know to check the portal. UCD's interview decisions were sent out in November or early December last year.

Two schools I applied to won't interview me..... CSU won't interview in state and OSU won't interview OOS :( Not sure yet if that is good or bad? However, I am trying to find out info about CSU's DVM/PhD program as I hear they do interview. However, there are not too many stats or threads out there on these programs, I've read them all lol! Is this your second time applying Hollista?
Yes second time applying. I applied as a junior last year, I'm slightly non-traditional...have a lot of experience, took time off after high school (3yrs) worked at equine hospital and realized I wanted to be a vet and went back to school while working. So although i was a "junior" I had all pre-reqs done, just not all my gen eds and major reqs for my degree. I was wait listed at OSU and WSU. Rejected from cornell (figured but just applied for funzies bc I couldn't aoply to Davis w out a degree planned that year), and rejected from Penn. This year I applied to 7 schools! Lol! I was pretty surprised to get an interview last year, I kind of just applied to get my name out there and gain experience about application process etc. Here's to hoping this is my lucky year!!

Yes second time applying. I applied as a junior last year, I'm slightly non-traditional...have a lot of experience, took time off after high school (3yrs) worked at equine hospital and realized I wanted to be a vet and went back to school while working. So although i was a "junior" I had all pre-reqs done, just not all my gen eds and major reqs for my degree. I was wait listed at OSU and WSU. Rejected from cornell (figured but just applied for funzies bc I couldn't aoply to Davis w out a degree planned that year), and rejected from Penn. This year I applied to 7 schools! Lol! I was pretty surprised to get an interview last year, I kind of just applied to get my name out there and gain experience about application process etc. Here's to hoping this is my lucky year!!

That's awesome! I am non-traditional as well. Went straight into a tech program after high school, then used my degree to go into research (been in research since... about 6 years), completed my BS after I finished tech school while working in labs.. I am still in a lab, but have been volunteering and working as a part-time tech and wildlife rehabilitator during baby season. So not as much animal/vet experience as my research, but I am hoping to get into dual programs. We will see..... I applied to only 4, too many supplemental application questions to write well-written essays on lol. Where all did you apply this year Hollista?

Reactions: 1 user
That's awesome! I am non-traditional as well. Went straight into a tech program after high school, then used my degree to go into research (been in research since... about 6 years), completed my BS after I finished tech school while working in labs.. I am still in a lab, but have been volunteering and working as a part-time tech and wildlife rehabilitator during baby season. So not as much animal/vet experience as my research, but I am hoping to get into dual programs. We will see..... I applied to only 4, too many supplemental application questions to write well-written essays on lol. Where all did you apply this year Hollista?
OSU, wsu, penn, Ohio, Davis, tufts and Texas

OT random question for OSU vet students:
Does school health insurance cover rabies vaccinations? I've been thinking about getting one recently because I work with strays and wildlife a lot. I hear it's a really expensive (and painful!) vaccination, so if OSU insurance covers it at least somewhat, I'll wait to see if I get in before springing for a vaccination through my regular doctor. Thanks :)

Does school health insurance cover rabies vaccinations? I've been thinking about getting one recently because I work with strays and wildlife a lot. I hear it's a really expensive (and painful!) vaccination, so if OSU insurance covers it at least somewhat, I'll wait to see if I get in before springing for a vaccination through my regular doctor. Thanks :)

My private insurance miraculously covered the cost of the rabies vax (but I had to drive up to Portland to find an in-network provider), whereas some of my classmates weren't so lucky. I think the cost of getting the vax through OSU in the fall of 2017 was somewhere around $420 for the full series, although I'm not 100% positive.

My private insurance miraculously covered the cost of the rabies vax (but I had to drive up to Portland to find an in-network provider), whereas some of my classmates weren't so lucky. I think the cost of getting the vax through OSU in the fall of 2017 was somewhere around $420 for the full series, although I'm not 100% positive.
Thanks a lot! That's really helpful :)

How long does the rabies vx last? I was just thinking how I'm turning 26 in December and will be dropped from parents insurance, so maybe I should get it before then, maybe they'll cover some of it since it's good insurance. Just want to make sure vet school doesn't require it to be within a certain amount of years before starting....in case I don't get in this year!

How long does the rabies vx last? I was just thinking how I'm turning 26 in December and will be dropped from parents insurance, so maybe I should get it before then, maybe they'll cover some of it since it's good insurance. Just want to make sure vet school doesn't require it to be within a certain amount of years before starting....in case I don't get in this year!
Vet schools require a titer if it's been a while since you got the vaccine. I'm not sure if one year would be enough of a gap to need a titer or not. If the titer shows that you need a booster, you would get one shot, instead of three like in the original vaccination series. I think there's a lot of variation in how long the first series lasts before you need a booster.

Vet schools require a titer if it's been a while since you got the vaccine. I'm not sure if one year would be enough of a gap to need a titer or not. If the titer shows that you need a booster, you would get one shot, instead of three like in the original vaccination series. I think there's a lot of variation in how long the first series lasts before you need a booster.
Okay cool, I'm gonna call my insurance to see if they'll cover original series, if not I'll just wait but if they do I'll get it and get titer later if needed. Hopefully I'll just get in! ;) thank you!

I have Kaiser and only paid the co-pay of $15 for each of the 3 visits. I worked with racoons and coyotes and foxes a lot.

I have Kaiser and only paid the co-pay of $15 for each of the 3 visits. I worked with racoons and coyotes and foxes a lot.
Woah!!!! Go kaiser!!!

I'm surprised there are not more Oregon State applicants! The less applicants, the better for us though!
It's my ISS, though I just relocated from Ohio, so I hope I still get an interview. I moved for work, so I have a legitimate reasoning for residency.

I applied as well!! I am really hoping to get accepted!

So it doesn't seem that we have a "portal" system like other schools as I try to go onto the supplemental application and it says it is no longer available. Anyone know typically how we will find out about interviews (IS) or acceptances and when?

So it doesn't seem that we have a "portal" system like other schools as I try to go onto the supplemental application and it says it is no longer available. Anyone know typically how we will find out about interviews (IS) or acceptances and when?
If you see last year's forum, I think it was in January that people started to hear back from the school with the interview. but I think OOS students will be notified in late December!

If you see last year's forum, I think it was in January that people started to hear back from the school with the interview. but I think OOS students will be notified in late December!

Thanks! Looking at last year's interview invites, it doesn't look like too many people are interviewed (I know only IS interview) but still, does this school seem to have a low number of students apply or accepted? I know people mentioned this prior in this thread.

Thanks! Looking at last year's interview invites, it doesn't look like too many people are interviewed (I know only IS interview) but still, does this school seem to have a low number of students apply or accepted? I know people mentioned this prior in this thread.
I'm not 100% sure why but I saw from VMCAS website that they only accept 72 every year? that seems like smaller than other state schools... What do you think?

I'm not 100% sure why but I saw from VMCAS website that they only accept 72 every year? that seems like smaller than other state schools... What do you think?
Yeah they have a really small class size. If not THE smallest class size.

On the school's website, it says that for the class of 2017, there were only 88 IS applicants for 40 seats. I'm not sure how those odds compare to other schools but here is the link if you're interested:
http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/fact-sheet

Unless they're expanding, the class size is around 56. I think it is the smallest class size of the U.S. vet schools.

It seems like a pretty high IS acceptance rate compared to the other schools I've looked into.

Applied IS, first time applicant!! So impatient waiting!:eek:

Did anyone get a conformation from OSU of application received? I did for WSU, but I know all schools do things differently.

Nevermind to that post, moment of panic because i forgot I DID receive an email conformation awhile ago.. I start second guessing when I get nervous :p

Reactions: 1 users
I JUST GOT MY INVITATION FOR AN INTERVIEW!!! :soexcited:I am sitting in class, checked my email.... and now i need to jump up and down and scream and i cant yet!!!! So im posting here!

Reactions: 2 users
I JUST GOT MY INVITATION FOR AN INTERVIEW!!! :soexcited:I am sitting in class, checked my email.... and now i need to jump up and down and scream and i cant yet!!!! So im posting here!
Yay! Congrats! Did anyone else receive an interview invite?I didn't hear anything...